Checking which files have been backed up? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Checking which files have been backed up? - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello! Recently, I introduced a new backup policy in our 5.1 installation on Solaris. Now I'd like to check, if everything's working just fine. To do so, I open the Activity Monitor and look for the new policy. I see: ...

  1. Checking which files have been backed up?

    Hello!

    Recently, I introduced a new backup policy in our 5.1 installation
    on Solaris. Now I'd like to check, if everything's working just fine.

    To do so, I open the Activity Monitor and look for the new policy. I
    see: .

    On that screenshot, you can see, that the backup ran on the server
    called winds06.win.ch.da.rtr starting 01/27/2007 03:07:29 and it took
    07:34:41 hours to complete, Job ID was 12172. This was a backup of type "Full
    Backup" (the schedule name shows me that).

    Now I'd like to know which files actually have been backed up. Going
    to the "Detailed Status" doesn't show me this piece of information:

    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?fil...led_Status.png

    Is there a way to "dump" the database of the files which have been
    backed up? Maybe just for a specific Job ID?

    Thanks,

    Alexander Skwar

  2. Re: Checking which files have been backed up?

    If I want to know what was backed up I run a report called "Images on Media".
    Run this report on the media that was used to backup the data in question.
    Or you can run the Restore option and look at what was backed up that way.

    Alexander Skwar wrote:
    >Hello!
    >
    >Recently, I introduced a new backup policy in our 5.1 installation
    >on Solaris. Now I'd like to check, if everything's working just fine.
    >
    >To do so, I open the Activity Monitor and look for the new policy. I
    >see: .
    >
    >On that screenshot, you can see, that the backup ran on the server
    >called winds06.win.ch.da.rtr starting 01/27/2007 03:07:29 and it took
    >07:34:41 hours to complete, Job ID was 12172. This was a backup of type

    "Full
    >Backup" (the schedule name shows me that).
    >
    >Now I'd like to know which files actually have been backed up. Going
    >to the "Detailed Status" doesn't show me this piece of information:
    >
    >http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?fil...led_Status.png
    >
    >Is there a way to "dump" the database of the files which have been
    >backed up? Maybe just for a specific Job ID?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Alexander Skwar

  3. Re: Checking which files have been backed up?

    Moe :

    > If I want to know what was backed up I run a report called "Images on Media".
    > Run this report on the media that was used to backup the data in question.

    And then? What next? It just shows me, which backup jobs are on
    that tape, doesn't it? Where does it show the list of files, which
    have been backed up during a certain backup session?

    After having run the report, I can go to find and Advanced to
    get a list of fields. There's nothing which seems to be the filename -
    or maybe, I just haven't seen it. What's the "hidden" name for
    that field, which holds the filenames?

    > Or you can run the Restore option and look at what was backed up that way.

    Can I limit this to show exactly just what was backup in a certain
    backup session?

    Confused,
    Alexander Skwar

  4. Re: Checking which files have been backed up?

    Hi Alexander,

    Use bpimmedia to list the images on each tape, then use bplist to list the
    contents of each image.

    Regards,
    Dave.

    P.S. No-one really does this anyway. You will end up generating many
    hundreds of GB of plain text files, of what can be seen just by using the
    restore GUI. I'd be more interested in a daily job summary of what failed
    and what worked. I can send you a DOS script for this if you want.

    "Alexander Skwar" wrote in message
    news:qkmpsoqo46g8.dlg@std.dialog.schweiz.digitalpr ojects.com...
    > Moe :
    >
    >> If I want to know what was backed up I run a report called "Images on
    >> Media".
    >> Run this report on the media that was used to backup the data in
    >> question.

    > And then? What next? It just shows me, which backup jobs are on
    > that tape, doesn't it? Where does it show the list of files, which
    > have been backed up during a certain backup session?
    >
    > After having run the report, I can go to find and Advanced to
    > get a list of fields. There's nothing which seems to be the filename -
    > or maybe, I just haven't seen it. What's the "hidden" name for
    > that field, which holds the filenames?
    >
    >> Or you can run the Restore option and look at what was backed up that
    >> way.

    > Can I limit this to show exactly just what was backup in a certain
    > backup session?
    >
    > Confused,
    > Alexander Skwar

  5. Re: Checking which files have been backed up?

    D R :

    > Hi Alexander,
    >
    > Use bpimmedia to list the images on each tape,

    Where is "bpimmedia" supposed to be? I don't find it in
    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin.

    > P.S. No-one really does this anyway. You will end up generating many
    > hundreds of GB of plain text files, of what can be seen just by using the
    > restore GUI.

    Hm. How do I see exactly, what was backed up by a certain backup
    job?

    Alexander Skwar

  6. Re: Checking which files have been backed up?

    Hi Alex,

    What version of NBU are you using, and which platform and O/S version?

    Regards,
    Dave.

    P.S. Do you have a copy (pdf or paper) of the "Commands" manual suitable for
    your version of NBU and O/S?

    "Alexander Skwar" wrote in message
    news:1dxiopoodsdqb.dlg@std.dialog.schweiz.digitalp rojects.com...
    >D R :
    >
    >> Hi Alexander,
    >>
    >> Use bpimmedia to list the images on each tape,

    > Where is "bpimmedia" supposed to be? I don't find it in
    > /usr/openv/netbackup/bin.
    >
    >> P.S. No-one really does this anyway. You will end up generating many
    >> hundreds of GB of plain text files, of what can be seen just by using the
    >> restore GUI.

    > Hm. How do I see exactly, what was backed up by a certain backup
    > job?
    >
    > Alexander Skwar

  7. Re: Checking which files have been backed up?

    D R :

    > Hi Alex,
    >
    > What version of NBU are you using, and which platform and O/S version?

    5.1 MP 5 @ Solaris (8-10).

    I found thecommand in the meantime though - it's in the admincmd
    directory. Sorry, I didn't have a look in this directory when
    I first replied. My fault.

    > Regards,
    > Dave.
    >
    > P.S. Do you have a copy (pdf or paper) of the "Commands" manual suitable for
    > your version of NBU and O/S?

    I've got a copy of the file, but it's for windows. Doesn't
    seem to make a difference, though.

    Alexander Skwar

  8. Re: Checking which files have been backed up?

    bplist is the command you are looking for -

    bplist - Lists backed up and archived files on the NetBackup server.

    - RK

    Alexander Skwar wrote:
    >D R :
    >
    >> Hi Alex,
    >>
    >> What version of NBU are you using, and which platform and O/S version?

    >5.1 MP 5 @ Solaris (8-10).
    >
    >I found thecommand in the meantime though - it's in the admincmd
    >directory. Sorry, I didn't have a look in this directory when
    >I first replied. My fault.
    >
    >> Regards,
    >> Dave.
    >>
    >> P.S. Do you have a copy (pdf or paper) of the "Commands" manual suitable

    for
    >> your version of NBU and O/S?

    >I've got a copy of the file, but it's for windows. Doesn't
    >seem to make a difference, though.
    >

    >Alexander Skwar

  9. Re: Checking which files have been backed up?

    Hi Alex,

    bplist (as with just about any NetBackup command line tool) can take a bit
    of getting used to - I mean that sometimes if at first it doesn't seem to be
    reporting what you think it should, then keep plugging away it at. A lot of
    the switches are quite sensitive to how they are used. Anyway, here's a
    copy of my notes regarding bplist...

    Example bplist:

    Example1:

    bplist -B -S master1 -C client1 -t 0 -unix_files -l -b -R 999 -s 10/10/2006
    17:00:00:00 -e 10/11/2006 12:00:00 -F

    Example2:

    bplist -B -S master1 -C client2 -k MY_POLICY -t 0 -unix_files -l -b -R
    999 -s 08/04/2006 09:00:00:00 -e 08/30/2006 10:00:00 -F
    "/app/folder1/folder2"

    Notes:

    The bplist command accepts many switches/qualifiers and only one optional
    parameter.

    bplist

    -B List/search backups.

    -S master Specify Master server.

    -C client

    -k policy

    -t 0 Policy type, 0 for standard
    (ie. Unix and VMS), 13 for Windows (PC, NTFS).

    -unix_files Report file names in unix format.

    -l Report format.

    -b Report date/time of start or
    backup job (not the actual backup time), also -c (created) or -u (modified).

    -R n Recurse down 'n' folders.

    -s mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss Since, all date/time fields must
    be specified in full.

    -e mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss Ending/before, all date/time
    fields must be specified in full.

    -F Show when folder names are
    hard/symbolic links by also including an "@" character at the end of the
    file name.

    "/path/name" The folder path or name to search
    for. This is the one and only parameter.

    Other regularly used switches are:

    -I Case insensitive search

    -PI Path Independent search, i.e.
    find file name anywhere in the path.

    -c List the file created
    date/time, not the -b backup time or the -u modified time.

    -u List the file modified
    date/time, i.e.not the -b date/time of the start of the backup job, nor
    the -u modified date/time of he file.

    -r List the disk images, not
    the files contained in the images.

    -nt_files List files in Windows based NTFS
    style/layout/

    -keyword "text" List backup/file matching
    the specified keyword.

    -Listseconds Changes the date/time reported
    (i.e. one of -b -c or -u) to show seconds, date is lost/not shown when this
    is selected.

    Regards,
    Dave.

    "Alexander Skwar" wrote in message
    news:g7xeb34qecoq.dlg@std.dialog.schweiz.digitalpr ojects.com...
    >D R :
    >
    >> Hi Alex,
    >>
    >> What version of NBU are you using, and which platform and O/S version?

    > 5.1 MP 5 @ Solaris (8-10).
    >
    > I found thecommand in the meantime though - it's in the admincmd
    > directory. Sorry, I didn't have a look in this directory when
    > I first replied. My fault.
    >
    >> Regards,
    >> Dave.
    >>
    >> P.S. Do you have a copy (pdf or paper) of the "Commands" manual suitable
    >> for
    >> your version of NBU and O/S?

    > I've got a copy of the file, but it's for windows. Doesn't
    > seem to make a difference, though.
    >

    > Alexander Skwar

+ Reply to Thread