could not write BACKUP START to media manager socket - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on could not write BACKUP START to media manager socket - Veritas Net Backup ; I've just implemented 2 new AIX media servers to replace an old HP-UX box. This weekend when running full backups, I got several error 24s on jobs trying to start. When I checked the logs, the error "could not write ...

  1. could not write BACKUP START to media manager socket

    I've just implemented 2 new AIX media servers to replace an old HP-UX box.
    This weekend when running full backups, I got several error 24s on jobs
    trying to start. When I checked the logs, the error "could not write BACKUP
    START to media manager socket" was associated with those jobs.

    it's happeneing on both servers. I'm writing to 9940b tape drives. The
    common denominator seems to be that the failing jobs are trying to multiplex
    in with jobs that have been running for awhile (over 10 hours). When I set
    the storage unit the older jobs were using to "on demand only" I was able
    to successfully start the failing jobs.

    Obviously, I have something misconfigured on the new servers, but I don't
    know what. These are the first AIX NBU servers in our environment, so I
    don't have another server to look at. Everything in bp.conf and vm.conf
    is comsistent with how my HP boxes were configured (I'm using STK Library
    Station because I share the library with the mainframe and the AS/400).

    This _only_ happens when there are jobs running long - when it's only been
    an hour or two other streams join in just fine. I don't know if it happens
    only after the tape has changed or not.

    Ideas? Clues?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: could not write BACKUP START to media manager socket

    "Toni Arthur" wrote:

    >I've just implemented 2 new AIX media servers to replace an old HP-UX box.
    > This weekend when running full backups, I got several error 24s on jobs
    >trying to start. When I checked the logs, the error "could not write BACKUP
    >START to media manager socket" was associated with those jobs.
    >
    >it's happeneing on both servers. I'm writing to 9940b tape drives. The
    >common denominator seems to be that the failing jobs are trying to multiplex
    >in with jobs that have been running for awhile (over 10 hours). When I

    set
    >the storage unit the older jobs were using to "on demand only" I was able
    >to successfully start the failing jobs.
    >
    >Obviously, I have something misconfigured on the new servers, but I don't
    >know what. These are the first AIX NBU servers in our environment, so I
    >don't have another server to look at. Everything in bp.conf and vm.conf
    >is comsistent with how my HP boxes were configured (I'm using STK Library
    >Station because I share the library with the mainframe and the AS/400).
    >
    >This _only_ happens when there are jobs running long - when it's only been
    >an hour or two other streams join in just fine. I don't know if it happens
    >only after the tape has changed or not.
    >
    >Ideas? Clues?
    >
    >Thanks.

    And since I forgot the obvious - NBU 6.0 MP4. Patches have been applied
    to all servers. This didn't happen with the old server, and it doesn't happen
    if the older jobs are on the master server (HP-UX)

  3. Re: could not write BACKUP START to media manager socket

    Not sure I can be of much help besides suggesting you patch your AIX boxes.
    Try restarting all NBU processed in both master+media server and see what
    happens...just in case you haven't done that.

    I was hoping to say your NBU version are mismatched but you said you patched
    to MP4 on both servers so that's a no good thought.

    "Toni Arthur" wrote:

    >"Toni Arthur" wrote:
    >>
    >>I've just implemented 2 new AIX media servers to replace an old HP-UX box.
    >> This weekend when running full backups, I got several error 24s on jobs
    >>trying to start. When I checked the logs, the error "could not write BACKUP
    >>START to media manager socket" was associated with those jobs.
    >>
    >>it's happeneing on both servers. I'm writing to 9940b tape drives. The
    >>common denominator seems to be that the failing jobs are trying to multiplex
    >>in with jobs that have been running for awhile (over 10 hours). When I

    >set
    >>the storage unit the older jobs were using to "on demand only" I was able
    >>to successfully start the failing jobs.
    >>
    >>Obviously, I have something misconfigured on the new servers, but I don't
    >>know what. These are the first AIX NBU servers in our environment, so

    >>don't have another server to look at. Everything in bp.conf and vm.conf
    >>is comsistent with how my HP boxes were configured (I'm using STK Library
    >>Station because I share the library with the mainframe and the AS/400).
    >>
    >>This _only_ happens when there are jobs running long - when it's only been
    >>an hour or two other streams join in just fine. I don't know if it happens
    >>only after the tape has changed or not.
    >>
    >>Ideas? Clues?
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    >And since I forgot the obvious - NBU 6.0 MP4. Patches have been applied
    >to all servers. This didn't happen with the old server, and it doesn't

    happen
    >if the older jobs are on the master server (HP-UX)

+ Reply to Thread