Indefinate Differential backups - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Indefinate Differential backups - Veritas Net Backup ; Ewan wrote, in part, on 1/4/2007 12:33 PM: > "Calz" wrote: >> Is it possible to have a policy that *Only* ever does Differential backups? >> >> Obviously first time you run it it will do a 'full' backup but ...

  1. Re: Indefinate Differential backups

    Ewan wrote, in part, on 1/4/2007 12:33 PM:
    > "Calz" wrote:
    >> Is it possible to have a policy that *Only* ever does Differential backups?
    >>
    >> Obviously first time you run it it will do a 'full' backup but if it's set
    >> in the schedule the type as only differential, will 4 years later (for example)
    >> it only backup the changes against the previous day?

    > Calz,
    >
    > Yep, thats how it works. it will go on for as long as you want. It only
    > looks for files updated since the previous backup of any sort!

    Of course, if all you ever do is differential backups, you'll have no
    more than one copy of your data, *and* your backup data will be spread
    over more than 1,000 locations after 4 years, making any substantial
    restore take a very long time.

    What I don't know is "what happens when that initial differential backup
    expires?".

    cheers, wayne

  2. Indefinate Differential backups

    Is it possible to have a policy that *Only* ever does Differential backups?

    Obviously first time you run it it will do a 'full' backup but if it's set
    in the schedule the type as only differential, will 4 years later (for example)
    it only backup the changes against the previous day?

  3. Re: Indefinate Differential backups

    "Calz" wrote:

    >Is it possible to have a policy that *Only* ever does Differential backups?
    >
    >Obviously first time you run it it will do a 'full' backup but if it's set
    >in the schedule the type as only differential, will 4 years later (for example)
    >it only backup the changes against the previous day?

    Calz,

    Yep, thats how it works. it will go on for as long as you want. It only
    looks for files updated since the previous backup of any sort!

  4. Re: Indefinate Differential backups

    Thanks for confirming Ewan.

    "Ewan" wrote:

    >"Calz" wrote:
    >>
    >>Is it possible to have a policy that *Only* ever does Differential backups?
    >>
    >>Obviously first time you run it it will do a 'full' backup but if it's

    set
    >>in the schedule the type as only differential, will 4 years later (for

    example)
    >>it only backup the changes against the previous day?

    >Calz,
    >
    >Yep, thats how it works. it will go on for as long as you want. It only
    >looks for files updated since the previous backup of any sort!

  5. Re: Indefinate Differential backups

    Wayne T Smith wrote:
    >Ewan wrote, in part, on 1/4/2007 12:33 PM:
    >> "Calz" wrote:
    >>> Is it possible to have a policy that *Only* ever does Differential backups?
    >>>
    >>> Obviously first time you run it it will do a 'full' backup but if it's

    set
    >>> in the schedule the type as only differential, will 4 years later (for

    example)
    >>> it only backup the changes against the previous day?

    >> Calz,
    >>
    >> Yep, thats how it works. it will go on for as long as you want. It only
    >> looks for files updated since the previous backup of any sort!

    >Of course, if all you ever do is differential backups, you'll have no
    >more than one copy of your data, *and* your backup data will be spread
    >over more than 1,000 locations after 4 years, making any substantial
    >restore take a very long time.
    >
    >What I don't know is "what happens when that initial differential backup

    >expires?".
    >
    >cheers, wayne

    Hi Wayne,

    I said 4 years for a figure from mid air, it doesn't have any relavence just
    taking things to the extreme. The question relates around setting up two
    policies to backup the same Netapp filers but at different points in there
    volume structure, I need to do this for performance and backup window reasons.

    The two policies will be:-
    Mon - Thu 8pm+ start Incremental backups on a 2 month retention backing up
    \\filer\vol\
    Fri 8pm+ start into Sat Full backup on a 2 month retention backing up \\filer\vol\folderxx1,
    \\filer\vol\folderxx2, \\filer\vol\folderxx3 etc... as different streams

    From the above two policies I'm assuming we would be able to do daily restores
    from the filer over a two month period?

    A third policy for month end running on sundays is in place already which
    has a retention of 7 years.

  6. Re: Indefinate Differential backups

    Wayne T Smith wrote:
    >Ewan wrote, in part, on 1/4/2007 12:33 PM:
    >> "Calz" wrote:
    >>> Is it possible to have a policy that *Only* ever does Differential backups?
    >>>
    >>> Obviously first time you run it it will do a 'full' backup but if it's

    set
    >>> in the schedule the type as only differential, will 4 years later (for

    example)
    >>> it only backup the changes against the previous day?

    >> Calz,
    >>
    >> Yep, thats how it works. it will go on for as long as you want. It only
    >> looks for files updated since the previous backup of any sort!

    >Of course, if all you ever do is differential backups, you'll have no
    >more than one copy of your data, *and* your backup data will be spread
    >over more than 1,000 locations after 4 years, making any substantial
    >restore take a very long time.
    >
    >What I don't know is "what happens when that initial differential backup

    >expires?".
    >
    >cheers, wayne

    What happens is the files that were backed up on the initial differential
    are no longer available for restore. Nothing more, nothing less.

+ Reply to Thread