monthly backups out of sync - reset frequency - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on monthly backups out of sync - reset frequency - Veritas Net Backup ; How can I reset veritas' idea of when a last "4 week" frequency policy was executed? here's why I want to do this... (Its a little complex so please bear with me). my customer has 10 servers each configured with ...

  1. monthly backups out of sync - reset frequency

    How can I reset veritas' idea of when a last "4 week" frequency policy was
    executed?

    here's why I want to do this... (Its a little complex so please bear with
    me).

    my customer has 10 servers each configured with policies that backup cumulative
    incrementals each night and then full backups weekly. There is one media
    server with a robot (1 drive, 8 slots) which does it all. remote severs have
    agents.

    the weekly backups have 2 month retention periods and the daily backups have
    1 week retention.

    This setup allows us to come in once per week and remove all the WEEKLY tapes
    from the robot and replace them with a new set. All that works fine and dandy...

    There is also a MONTHLY policy with 1 year retention, which is configured
    to run every 4 weeks. The idea being that every 4 weeks the set of tapes
    we remove all have "1 year" retention instead of "2 months".

    however it seems to get out of sync...

    by which I mean that one week I will come in and find it has written some
    WEEKLY backups and some MONTHLY backups.

    The net result of all this is that it is consuming a larger number of tapes
    than I anticipated. (I.E. basically at least one tape per week is now "MONTHLY"
    with the rest being WEEKLY. what I wanted was to remove a set of WEEKLY tapes
    on weeks 1, 2 and 3 and then remove a set of MONTHLY tapes on week 4).

    I cannot use calendar-based schedules because the backup window spans midnight,
    which veritas (due to a massive design flaw) interprets as two separate time
    windows in that mode, hence I have to use frequency-based schedules. I cannot
    reduce the window because there are 10 servers and they take time to backup.

    please do not tell me to search the knowledgebase or google.

    all help appreciated,

    -John

  2. Re: monthly backups out of sync - reset frequency

    John Smith wrote, in part, on 11/30/2006 11:22 AM:
    > How can I reset veritas' idea of when a last "4 week" frequency policy was
    > executed?

    NetBackup, afaik, can't be made to work that way.

    > I cannot use calendar-based schedules because the backup window spans midnight,
    > which veritas (due to a massive design flaw) interprets as two separate time
    > windows in that mode, hence I have to use frequency-based schedules. I cannot
    > reduce the window because there are 10 servers and they take time to backup.

    Perhaps you've written this off too soon. Can you split your workload
    so that a portion gets done before midnight and the rest after?

    Works for me. In my case, my scarce resource is tape drive. If I have
    a tape drive tied up doing a single backup for long retention, I have a
    hard time fitting everything else into using one less tape drive (MPX in
    use). In general, while far from perfect, I find calendar-based
    scheduling still doesn't allow lights-out operation, I can dim the
    lights a bit more. Worth a try, IMHO.

    > please do not tell me to search the knowledgebase or google.

    Don't search; who knows what you'll find. ;-)

    > all help appreciated,

    .... which is why I wrote this, cousin Smith.

    cheers, wayne

+ Reply to Thread