The process oprd spawning tens of thousands of times. - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on The process oprd spawning tens of thousands of times. - Veritas Net Backup ; For some reason, hence this posting, we have a tru64 server that is spawing tens of thousands of oprd processes. None the the process are really active, they seem to blocked and awaiting to be released. The processes date back ...

  1. The process oprd spawning tens of thousands of times.

    For some reason, hence this posting, we have a tru64 server that is spawing
    tens of thousands of oprd processes. None the the process are really active,
    they seem to blocked and awaiting to be released. The processes date back
    to the last time the server was rebooted. However, I've noticed that the
    rate of, execuse the expression, "spawnification" has increase over time.
    Now the server is spawning atleast one oprd process every minute. (By the
    time you finish reading this note, 3 more oprd's were born). Is there anyone
    our there that can explain this madness?

    Thank,
    Mj.

  2. Re: The process oprd spawning tens of thousands of times.

    in article 4538c05a@ROSASTDMZ05., icleanupshop at martinjordan21@hotmail.com
    wrote on 10/20/06 5:26 AM:

    > For some reason, hence this posting, we have a tru64 server that is spawing
    > tens of thousands of oprd processes. None the the process are really active,
    > they seem to blocked and awaiting to be released. The processes date back
    > to the last time the server was rebooted. However, I've noticed that the
    > rate of, execuse the expression, "spawnification" has increase over time.
    > Now the server is spawning atleast one oprd process every minute. (By the
    > time you finish reading this note, 3 more oprd's were born). Is there anyone
    > our there that can explain this madness?
    >
    > Thank,
    > Mj.

    I don't have any processes named oprd, are you sure it's from netbackup?
    Unless you mean bprd? In which case a simple first step would be to examine
    the bprd log files.

  3. Re: The process oprd spawning tens of thousands of times.

    in article C15E380C.14EE2%fsck@smicker.com, ps at fsck@smicker.com wrote on
    10/20/06 8:23 AM:

    > in article 4538c05a@ROSASTDMZ05., icleanupshop at martinjordan21@hotmail.com
    > wrote on 10/20/06 5:26 AM:
    >

    >> For some reason, hence this posting, we have a tru64 server that is spawing
    >> tens of thousands of oprd processes. None the the process are really active,
    >> they seem to blocked and awaiting to be released. The processes date back
    >> to the last time the server was rebooted. However, I've noticed that the
    >> rate of, execuse the expression, "spawnification" has increase over time.
    >> Now the server is spawning atleast one oprd process every minute. (By the
    >> time you finish reading this note, 3 more oprd's were born). Is there anyone
    >> our there that can explain this madness?
    >>
    >> Thank,
    >> Mj.

    > I don't have any processes named oprd, are you sure it's from netbackup?
    > Unless you mean bprd? In which case a simple first step would be to examine
    > the bprd log files.

    Ah, I see oprd is a volmgr process. Logging for oprd is in
    /opt/openv/netbackup/logs/daemon. If this directory doesn't exist, create it
    and see what the logs tell you. You may need to add "VERBOSE" to vm.conf and
    VERBOSE = 3 to bp.conf and restart media manage processes for this change to
    take effect.

    Also, this technote suggests remote consoles will open multiple oprd's:

  4. Re: The process oprd spawning tens of thousands of times.

    "icleanupshop" wrote:

    >For some reason, hence this posting, we have a tru64 server that is spawing
    >tens of thousands of oprd processes. None the the process are really active,
    >they seem to blocked and awaiting to be released. The processes date back
    >to the last time the server was rebooted. However, I've noticed that the
    >rate of, execuse the expression, "spawnification" has increase over time.
    >Now the server is spawning atleast one oprd process every minute. (By the
    >time you finish reading this note, 3 more oprd's were born). Is there anyone
    >our there that can explain this madness?
    >
    >Thank,
    >Mj.

    I had a similar problem where bpcd was spawning a new child every 30 seconds
    and each one of those spawned a bptm. I traced the bptms back to the grandparent
    bpcd and then killed all bptms then the grandparent bpcd. The system went
    back to normal.

    This has happened 3 times over 2 years and I can't figure out why. Veritas
    is thus far stumped.

    Scott

+ Reply to Thread