Catalog backups chewing up all memory - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Catalog backups chewing up all memory - Veritas Net Backup ; Running Netbackup 5.1 MP5 on Sun 280R. When I initiate a manual catalog backup and run vmstat, the memory is getting chewed up until the box grinds to a halt. I've searched and can't find anything with similar symptoms. Anyone ...

  1. Catalog backups chewing up all memory

    Running Netbackup 5.1 MP5 on Sun 280R. When I initiate a manual catalog backup
    and run vmstat, the memory is getting chewed up until the box grinds to a
    halt.

    I've searched and can't find anything with similar symptoms. Anyone out there
    have a clue of whats going on?

  2. Re: Catalog backups chewing up all memory

    George Ho wrote:
    > Running Netbackup 5.1 MP5 on Sun 280R. When I initiate a manual catalog backup
    > and run vmstat, the memory is getting chewed up until the box grinds to a
    > halt.
    >
    > I've searched and can't find anything with similar symptoms. Anyone out there
    > have a clue of whats going on?

    George,

    Any details on the version of Solaris you are running on the 280R?

    There are issues with Solaris 10 in this respect, causes;

    1. 118833-17 - 118833-24 are flawed for NB, need to use a workaround. In
    /etc/system define - set ip:do_tcp_fusion
    As per http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/docum...=1-26-102576-1

    2. Sun Trunking; if this is being used, see Veritas Infodoc 273288 at;
    http://support.veritas.com/docs/273288

    Hope this assists.

    Regards,
    Andrew.

  3. Re: Catalog backups chewing up all memory

    Andrew Ross-Costello wrote:
    >George Ho wrote:
    >> Running Netbackup 5.1 MP5 on Sun 280R. When I initiate a manual catalog

    backup
    >> and run vmstat, the memory is getting chewed up until the box grinds to

    >> halt.
    >>
    >> I've searched and can't find anything with similar symptoms. Anyone out

    there
    >> have a clue of whats going on?

    >George,
    >
    >Any details on the version of Solaris you are running on the 280R?
    >
    >There are issues with Solaris 10 in this respect, causes;
    >
    >1. 118833-17 - 118833-24 are flawed for NB, need to use a workaround. In

    >/etc/system define - set ip:do_tcp_fusion
    >As per http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/docum...=1-26-102576-1
    >
    >2. Sun Trunking; if this is being used, see Veritas Infodoc 273288 at;
    >http://support.veritas.com/docs/273288
    >
    >Hope this assists.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Andrew.

    I am running Solaris 10 with 118833-24 and not using Sun Trunking. I've tried
    Veritas Infodoc 273288, but that doesn't seem to help. Going to try to compress
    all the images and see if that helps.

  4. Re: Catalog backups chewing up all memory

    George,

    Is the do_tcp_fusion = 0 workaround in your /etc/system file?

    I agree with you about the Veritas Infodoc solution not working
    regarding slow Catalog backups. Veritas and I are still trying to get to
    the bottom of the issue. I'll try to remember to post back to this
    thread or at least the newsgroup when we make some progress.

    Regards,
    Andrew.

    George wrote:
    > Andrew Ross-Costello wrote:
    >> George Ho wrote:
    >>> Running Netbackup 5.1 MP5 on Sun 280R. When I initiate a manual catalog

    > backup
    >>> and run vmstat, the memory is getting chewed up until the box grinds to

    >>> halt.
    >>>
    >>> I've searched and can't find anything with similar symptoms. Anyone out

    > there
    >>> have a clue of whats going on?

    >> George,
    >>
    >> Any details on the version of Solaris you are running on the 280R?
    >>
    >> There are issues with Solaris 10 in this respect, causes;
    >>
    >> 1. 118833-17 - 118833-24 are flawed for NB, need to use a workaround. In

    >> /etc/system define - set ip:do_tcp_fusion
    >> As per http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/docum...=1-26-102576-1
    >>
    >> 2. Sun Trunking; if this is being used, see Veritas Infodoc 273288 at;
    >> http://support.veritas.com/docs/273288
    >>
    >> Hope this assists.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Andrew.

    > I am running Solaris 10 with 118833-24 and not using Sun Trunking. I've tried
    > Veritas Infodoc 273288, but that doesn't seem to help. Going to try to compress
    > all the images and see if that helps.

+ Reply to Thread