HOw to stop one policy going to 2 drives - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on HOw to stop one policy going to 2 drives - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, I have one policy containing 2 hosts, selection lists contains system state, c:\ , d:\ and e:\ from each client. Have one storage unit with 2 drives in it. When i run the backup the job runs to 2 ...

  1. HOw to stop one policy going to 2 drives

    Hi,

    I have one policy containing 2 hosts, selection lists contains system state,
    c:\ , d:\ and e:\ from each client.

    Have one storage unit with 2 drives in it.

    When i run the backup the job runs to 2 drives.. I only want it to run to
    one drive, any ideas ??

  2. Re: HOw to stop one policy going to 2 drives

    Wendy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > I have one policy containing 2 hosts, selection lists contains system state,
    > c:\ , d:\ and e:\ from each client.
    >
    > Have one storage unit with 2 drives in it.
    >
    > When i run the backup the job runs to 2 drives.. I only want it to run to
    > one drive, any ideas ??

    Wendy,

    Configure another Storage Unit with only one drive available for the
    same drive/library and use this one in those clients policy, then the
    policy will only use one drive per scheduled run.

    If you don't have multiplexing configured on the storage unit, policy
    and/or the clients, you should enable it so that both hosts will queue
    and write to the tape at the same time. Set the multiplexing to at least
    8 (you have 8 streams to backup), in the policy (more if you want - say
    10, depending on your drive type), and at least 4 - 6 streams on the
    clients. The Storage Unit will also have a multiplexing parameter, set
    it between 10 - 16.

    Additionally, in the policy, in the "Backup Selections" tab, add the
    directive: "NEW_STREAM" before every disk drive and the "System State:\"
    selection. as in:

    NEW_STREAM
    c:\
    NEW_STREAM
    d:\
    NEW_STREAM
    e:\
    NEW_STREAM
    System State:\

    or if your running in the mixed environment you may have;

    NEW_STREAM
    /c/
    NEW_STREAM
    /d/
    NEW_STREAM
    /e/
    NEW_STREAM
    /System State:/

    Hope this assists.

    Regards,
    Andrew R-C.

  3. Re: HOw to stop one policy going to 2 drives

    Hi Wendy,

    Have you tried enabling "multi-plexing" on the storage unit and on the
    schedule in the policy?

    Regards,
    Dave.

    "Wendy" wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >

    > I have one policy containing 2 hosts, selection lists contains system
    > state,
    > c:\ , d:\ and e:\ from each client.
    >
    > Have one storage unit with 2 drives in it.
    >
    > When i run the backup the job runs to 2 drives.. I only want it to run to
    > one drive, any ideas ??

  4. Re: HOw to stop one policy going to 2 drives

    The Policy will execute 2 jobs because you have two clients defined. Change
    your storage unit to have just 1 concurrent drive .

    You can also set multiplexing to 2 in the storage unit and policy scedule.
    This will write both jobs to one drive.

    Pete

    "D R" wrote:
    >Hi Wendy,
    >
    >Have you tried enabling "multi-plexing" on the storage unit and on the
    >schedule in the policy?
    >
    >Regards,
    >Dave.
    >

    >"Wendy" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>

    >> I have one policy containing 2 hosts, selection lists contains system

    >> state,
    >> c:\ , d:\ and e:\ from each client.
    >>
    >> Have one storage unit with 2 drives in it.
    >>
    >> When i run the backup the job runs to 2 drives.. I only want it to run

    >> one drive, any ideas ??

  5. Re: HOw to stop one policy going to 2 drives

    Wendy,

    You would only need the one STU with one drive configured. You can use
    this STU in more than one policy. What you should then see is at least
    two jobs able to go active at the same time in Activity Monitor.

    Assuming that your Policies' Start Windows overlap. Or you did what I
    said in my first response.

    Do you have multiplexing configured? Myself and the other two
    respondents have also asked this question, this is core to your issue.

    Andrew Ross-Costello wrote:
    > Wendy wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>

    >> I have one policy containing 2 hosts, selection lists contains system
    >> state,
    >> c:\ , d:\ and e:\ from each client.
    >>
    >> Have one storage unit with 2 drives in it.
    >>
    >> When i run the backup the job runs to 2 drives.. I only want it to run to
    >> one drive, any ideas ??

    > Wendy,
    >
    > Configure another Storage Unit with only one drive available for the
    > same drive/library and use this one in those clients policy, then the
    > policy will only use one drive per scheduled run.
    >
    > If you don't have multiplexing configured on the storage unit, policy
    > and/or the clients, you should enable it so that both hosts will queue
    > and write to the tape at the same time. Set the multiplexing to at least
    > 8 (you have 8 streams to backup), in the policy (more if you want - say
    > 10, depending on your drive type), and at least 4 - 6 streams on the
    > clients. The Storage Unit will also have a multiplexing parameter, set
    > it between 10 - 16.
    >
    > Additionally, in the policy, in the "Backup Selections" tab, add the
    > directive: "NEW_STREAM" before every disk drive and the "System State:\"
    > selection. as in:
    >
    > NEW_STREAM
    > c:\
    > NEW_STREAM
    > d:\
    > NEW_STREAM
    > e:\
    > NEW_STREAM
    > System State:\
    >

    > or if your running in the mixed environment you may have;
    >
    > NEW_STREAM
    > /c/
    > NEW_STREAM
    > /d/
    > NEW_STREAM
    > /e/
    > NEW_STREAM
    > /System State:/
    >

    > Hope this assists.
    >

    > Regards,
    > Andrew R-C.

  6. Re: HOw to stop one policy going to 2 drives

    Wendy,

    This is a simple fix, in the policy attributes, allow only 1 job per policy
    to run.
    What happens is they attributes of the policy have the same volume pool,
    so the first client will run and then the second. Veritas will utilize the
    same tape unless it fills up and then it will select a different tape.

    du

+ Reply to Thread