Exchange 2003 Brick Level - Mailbox backups - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Exchange 2003 Brick Level - Mailbox backups - Veritas Net Backup ; I'm trying to get maximum throughput on this backup session/job and I have tried multiple attemps and setups of policies to optimize getting 10 - 15 Streams working at same time, but seems all I can get is single stream ...

  1. Exchange 2003 Brick Level - Mailbox backups

    I'm trying to get maximum throughput on this backup session/job and I have
    tried multiple attemps and setups of policies to optimize getting 10 - 15
    Streams working at same time, but seems all I can get is single stream to
    tape while doing brick level backups.

    The sessions will only have 8 active and run around 500-700kb/sec. I sessions
    is doing work and 1 session is contorl session it seems.

    I have enabled multiplex on the Device as well as changing the max jobs per
    client and setting max jobs per policy.

    I have used both NEW_STREAM and without and get different results on the
    job status but over all seems I have trouble getting it to open multiple
    sessions to the Exchange Server and Stream that to tape.

    I would expect to see 5 active jobs to same host and each having 500-700kb/sec
    so total is up int eh 5MB + / sec to tape.

    Anyone have solution or walk through on how to get this done most efficiently?

  2. Re: Exchange 2003 Brick Level - Mailbox backups

    Hi Michael,

    Have you enabled multi-streaming on the schedule (inside the policy) too?

    We run 8 streams concurrently for brick level (which, IMHO, is too many) -
    I'd personally like to drop this to a max of 5.

    Regards,
    Dave.

    "Michael Duncan" wrote in message

    > I'm trying to get maximum throughput on this backup session/job and I have
    > tried multiple attemps and setups of policies to optimize getting 10 - 15
    > Streams working at same time, but seems all I can get is single stream to
    > tape while doing brick level backups.
    >
    > The sessions will only have 8 active and run around 500-700kb/sec. I
    > sessions
    > is doing work and 1 session is contorl session it seems.
    >
    > I have enabled multiplex on the Device as well as changing the max jobs
    > per
    > client and setting max jobs per policy.
    >
    > I have used both NEW_STREAM and without and get different results on the
    > job status but over all seems I have trouble getting it to open multiple
    > sessions to the Exchange Server and Stream that to tape.
    >
    > I would expect to see 5 active jobs to same host and each having
    > 500-700kb/sec
    > so total is up int eh 5MB + / sec to tape.
    >
    > Anyone have solution or walk through on how to get this done most
    > efficiently?

  3. Re: Exchange 2003 Brick Level - Mailbox backups

    Thank you that was one place I had not checked for streaming or multiplexing.

    I now have 15 running per server per tape and watching performance now.

    Of course I went in small increments from 4 to 10 to 15 and see if I can
    get best speed and performance out of this sytem.

    Thanks again for you quick response and help.

    -
    >I'd personally like to drop this to a max of 5.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Dave.
    >

    >"Michael Duncan" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I'm trying to get maximum throughput on this backup session/job and I

    have
    >> tried multiple attemps and setups of policies to optimize getting 10 -

    15
    >> Streams working at same time, but seems all I can get is single stream

    >> tape while doing brick level backups.
    >>
    >> The sessions will only have 8 active and run around 500-700kb/sec. I

    >> sessions
    >> is doing work and 1 session is contorl session it seems.
    >>
    >> I have enabled multiplex on the Device as well as changing the max jobs

    >> per
    >> client and setting max jobs per policy.
    >>
    >> I have used both NEW_STREAM and without and get different results on the
    >> job status but over all seems I have trouble getting it to open multiple
    >> sessions to the Exchange Server and Stream that to tape.
    >>
    >> I would expect to see 5 active jobs to same host and each having
    >> 500-700kb/sec
    >> so total is up int eh 5MB + / sec to tape.
    >>
    >> Anyone have solution or walk through on how to get this done most
    >> efficiently?

+ Reply to Thread