How do I analyze drive usage? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on How do I analyze drive usage? - Veritas Net Backup ; I am running Netbackup 5.1 on a Windows 2000 master server. We have 4 media servers 3 Windows and 1 Unix. 21 9840/9940 drives are connected via fiber and use a tape silo to hold tapes. I am looking to ...

  1. How do I analyze drive usage?

    I am running Netbackup 5.1 on a Windows 2000 master server. We have 4 media
    servers 3 Windows and 1 Unix. 21 9840/9940 drives are connected via fiber
    and use a tape silo to hold tapes.

    I am looking to eliminate a few drives but need to know exactly how our drives
    are being used. The only tool I could find in Netbackup was the reporting
    option but I am looking for something a little more specific and easy on
    the eyes. I'd like to know how often each drive is used and how much data
    is written to each as well as how long it takes.

    I am handy with Netbackup but not yet a pro so any feedback would be appreciated.
    I am open to using any 3rd party tools but would prefer a trick or script
    within Netbackup or a Veritas product.

    Thanks for reading,

    BG

  2. Re: How do I analyze drive usage?

    Hi Brandon,

    I don't know of any native commands that report driver performance.

    What about Windows "perfmon.msc"? I believe that NBU drives show up in
    there. You could adjust the refresh step (so that it doesn't wrap) and
    leave it running all night, and then screen grab it in the morning.

    You might also be able to use WSH and WMI to read the performance numbers.
    I haven't tried this.

    Even if you did manage to process bptm logs for multi-plexed backups and
    worked out which backups wrote to which drives for overlapping durations
    etc... your numbers would, IMHO, be very coarse. I'm trying to think how to
    do it too... I have no solution, as yet, for a multi-plexed env. It
    shouldn't be too hard for single usage though. Again, not tried this
    myself.

    Regards,
    Dave.

    "Brandon " wrote in message

    > I am running Netbackup 5.1 on a Windows 2000 master server. We have 4
    > media
    > servers 3 Windows and 1 Unix. 21 9840/9940 drives are connected via fiber
    > and use a tape silo to hold tapes.
    >
    > I am looking to eliminate a few drives but need to know exactly how our
    > drives
    > are being used. The only tool I could find in Netbackup was the reporting
    > option but I am looking for something a little more specific and easy on
    > the eyes. I'd like to know how often each drive is used and how much data
    > is written to each as well as how long it takes.
    >
    > I am handy with Netbackup but not yet a pro so any feedback would be
    > appreciated.
    > I am open to using any 3rd party tools but would prefer a trick or script
    > within Netbackup or a Veritas product.
    >
    > Thanks for reading,
    >
    > BG

+ Reply to Thread