"online backup" with netbackup? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on "online backup" with netbackup? - Veritas Net Backup ; I'm in charge of studying several backup softwares. Then, I'd like to know if netbackup allows to do "online backup" (means to back up data offsite through the internet)? If so, what is the name of this option/agent/product? If not, ...

  1. "online backup" with netbackup?

    I'm in charge of studying several backup softwares.
    Then, I'd like to know if netbackup allows to do "online backup" (means to
    back up data offsite through the internet)?
    If so, what is the name of this option/agent/product?
    If not, does Symantec forecast to implement "online backup" with netbackup,
    and when?

    Thanks!

    BB

  2. Re: "online backup" with netbackup?

    BB wrote, in part:
    > I'd like to know if netbackup allows to do "online backup" (means to
    > back up data offsite through the internet)?

    You may think of NetBackup as having 3 parts ..

    - the client (the machine with data to be backed up)
    - the media server (the machine with storage for backup data)
    - the master server (the machine with the catalog of all clients,
    media servers, recent backup jobs, all successful backups, etc.

    The 3 parts may all be on different machines. Depending on your
    license, you may have multiple machines of each part. For example, it
    is common to have one machine be a NetBackup master and media server,
    with dozens or hundreds of client machines. The NetBackup parts
    communicate over the network via TCP/IP.

    That get you going? You have a lot of work to decide just how to
    design, license and implement your NetBackup (or other product) facility!

    cheers, wayne

+ Reply to Thread