rsync for catalog replication - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on rsync for catalog replication - Veritas Net Backup ; All, I've been searching for folks who use rsync to synchronize the NetBackup catalog between two Solaris systems. Not surprisingly, Veritas has washed their hands of me, and answer, "it should work, but we can't guarantee it." So: have you ...

  1. rsync for catalog replication

    All,

    I've been searching for folks who use rsync to synchronize the NetBackup
    catalog between two Solaris systems. Not surprisingly, Veritas has washed
    their hands of me, and answer, "it should work, but we can't guarantee it."
    So: have you or anyone you know used rsync for this purpose? If so, what
    tips or pitfalls can you offer?

    I'll summarize any replies I receive.

    Thanks and cheers,
    Gene.

  2. Re: rsync for catalog replication

    I can't blame Symantec for not supporting rsync - they offer clustering and
    catalog restore so there probably isn't much need in their eyes. And frankly
    done right a catalog restore should be pretty quick.

    Having said all that, we have a master and a media server that are identical
    in all respects except the tape drives mounted. We rsync the /opt/openv
    partition every night to another location. You could do it however often
    you wish of course.

    The hosts are set up enough so that in a complete DR we change the mount
    points of /opt/openv (and the /opt/openvbackup partition), change the hostname,
    reboot and we're back. Then you just have to fix the tape definitions.

    It did work in production when needed. Of course, you should test thoroughly

    "Gene" wrote:

    >All,
    >
    >I've been searching for folks who use rsync to synchronize the NetBackup
    >catalog between two Solaris systems. Not surprisingly, Veritas has washed
    >their hands of me, and answer, "it should work, but we can't guarantee it."
    >So: have you or anyone you know used rsync for this purpose? If so, what
    >tips or pitfalls can you offer?
    >
    >I'll summarize any replies I receive.
    >
    >Thanks and cheers,
    >Gene.