Firewall settings for netbackup - MSSQL and Exchange - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Firewall settings for netbackup - MSSQL and Exchange - Veritas Net Backup ; I've been looking for information on this and not finding much that directly answers my question, so I'll ask here. We're running Netbackup 5.1MP5 backing up multiple Windows 2000/2003 servers. As a line of defense against intrusion we're going to ...

  1. Firewall settings for netbackup - MSSQL and Exchange

    I've been looking for information on this and not finding much that directly
    answers my question, so I'll ask here. We're running Netbackup 5.1MP5
    backing up multiple Windows 2000/2003 servers. As a line of defense against
    intrusion we're going to install the Windows firewall on the systems. We've
    added the 13782 port as an exception to the firewall for the normal backups.
    Do we need to open additional ports for MSSQL and Exchange backups as well?

    Also, does anyone have any experience running their configuration similar to
    this? I'd be interested in any thoughts or experiences folks might have.

    Thanks!
    Tim Keene

  2. Re: Firewall settings for netbackup - MSSQL and Exchange

    "Tim Keene" wrote:
    >I've been looking for information on this and not finding much that directly

    >answers my question, so I'll ask here. We're running Netbackup 5.1MP5
    >backing up multiple Windows 2000/2003 servers. As a line of defense against

    >intrusion we're going to install the Windows firewall on the systems. We've

    >added the 13782 port as an exception to the firewall for the normal backups.

    >Do we need to open additional ports for MSSQL and Exchange backups as well?
    >
    >Also, does anyone have any experience running their configuration similar

    >this? I'd be interested in any thoughts or experiences folks might have.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Tim Keene

    Hi

    You can find the port settings that is configured by accessing Netbackup
    admin gui on master server (atleast on 6.0 MP1):

    Netbackup Management > Host Properties > Master Server > double left click
    on the master server > new window: Master server properties > "Port ranges".

    Same goes for the clients:
    Netbackup Management > Host Properties > Clients > double left click on the
    client server > new window:Client server properties: "port ranges".

    Also note that there may be recommended port configurations to apply, but
    probl. will opening up the default port range for the Netbackup services
    be sufficient.

    Brgs.

+ Reply to Thread