What is SCAN-TLD ? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on What is SCAN-TLD ? - Veritas Net Backup ; I have upgraded my master and shared-storage media servers from NetBackup 5.1 to 6.0MP3. Several, not all, of my drives are coming up SCAN-TLD in Device Monitor. What is SCAN-TLD? I have not found any mention of it in the ...

  1. What is SCAN-TLD ?

    I have upgraded my master and shared-storage media servers from NetBackup
    5.1 to 6.0MP3. Several, not all, of my drives are coming up SCAN-TLD in Device
    Monitor.

    What is SCAN-TLD? I have not found any mention of it in the docs, knowledge
    base, or in Google.

  2. Re: What is SCAN-TLD ?

    in the java adm console help

    scan is drive is sso but no available scan host......

    "E Wensell" wrote:

    >I have upgraded my master and shared-storage media servers from NetBackup
    >5.1 to 6.0MP3. Several, not all, of my drives are coming up SCAN-TLD in

    Device
    >Monitor.
    >
    >What is SCAN-TLD? I have not found any mention of it in the docs, knowledge
    >base, or in Google.

  3. Re: What is SCAN-TLD ?

    "Chan" wrote:

    >in the java adm console help
    >
    >scan is drive is sso but no available scan host......

    Thank you Chan, didn't realize it was the same thing. For starters, my drives
    all appear to be operational. Even though they say "SCAN-TLD", hosts are
    still able to allocate them for backups. None of my drives appear "DOWN".

    On the surface it seems quite benign, but even so any suggestions on how
    to correct it?

  4. Re: What is SCAN-TLD ?

    I can take a stab at it. I'd venture to guess that your media servers are
    lying to you.
    I'd shut down most of the media servers except one and work your way back.
    I've seen drives showing good status but when it comes to using it, it
    will be downed.

    "E Wensell" wrote:

    >"Chan" wrote:
    >>
    >>in the java adm console help
    >>
    >>scan is drive is sso but no available scan host......

    >Thank you Chan, didn't realize it was the same thing. For starters, my drives
    >all appear to be operational. Even though they say "SCAN-TLD", hosts are
    >still able to allocate them for backups. None of my drives appear "DOWN".
    >
    >On the surface it seems quite benign, but even so any suggestions on how
    >to correct it?

  5. Re: What is SCAN-TLD ?

    "Chan" wrote:

    >I can take a stab at it. I'd venture to guess that your media servers are
    >lying to you.
    >I'd shut down most of the media servers except one and work your way back.
    > I've seen drives showing good status but when it comes to using it, it
    >will be downed.
    >

    >"E Wensell" wrote:
    >>
    >>"Chan" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>in the java adm console help
    >>>
    >>>scan is drive is sso but no available scan host......

    >>Thank you Chan, didn't realize it was the same thing. For starters, my

    drives
    >>all appear to be operational. Even though they say "SCAN-TLD", hosts are
    >>still able to allocate them for backups. None of my drives appear "DOWN".
    >>
    >>On the surface it seems quite benign, but even so any suggestions on how
    >>to correct it?

    I have the same issue - after doing some troubleshooting, it looks like one
    of my media server (the master in this case) has an issue accessing one of
    my sso drives. I have eventlog errors referring to problems with one specific
    drive:
    Event id 4111, Source NetBackup AVR Daemon, GetTapeParameters(0) failed on
    drive .... (device 2,\\.\Tape2) The requested resource is in use.

  6. Re: What is SCAN-TLD ?

    Chan wrote:
    > I can take a stab at it. I'd venture to guess that your media servers are
    > lying to you.
    > I'd shut down most of the media servers except one and work your way back.
    > I've seen drives showing good status but when it comes to using it, it
    > will be downed.
    >

    > "E Wensell" wrote:
    >> "Chan" wrote:
    >>> in the java adm console help
    >>>
    >>> scan is drive is sso but no available scan host......

    >> Thank you Chan, didn't realize it was the same thing. For starters, my drives
    >> all appear to be operational. Even though they say "SCAN-TLD", hosts are
    >> still able to allocate them for backups. None of my drives appear "DOWN".
    >>
    >> On the surface it seems quite benign, but even so any suggestions on how
    >> to correct it?

    Hi All,

    Look at the vm.conf parameter; "SSO_SCAN_ABILITY = [0 - 9]"
    Where 0 is NO ABILITY, 1 is LOWEST, and 9 is HIGHEST.

    Letting your SSO hosts work out who is te SCAN host for themselves is
    fraught with danger, mostly due to the election process for the SCAN
    host - you can end up with multiple hosts performing the SCAN function
    across the SSO, which in the end just doesn't work. Forcing the levels
    using this parameter will take the guesswork out of maintaining a
    working SSO configuration and minimize Error 52's in your jobs and other
    tape mount issues.

    I'd set your Master to use level 9; SSO_SCAN_ABILITY = 9
    (Your Master does have access to ALL drives - yes?)

    Set any robot control hosts to level 5; SSO_SCAN_ABILITY = 5

    Set any SAN Media servers or Media servers without robot control to level 0.

    After doing something like the above, restart your NetBackup services on
    all MM's.

    To verify the existing SSO configuration and levels, use the command ;
    /volmgr/bin/vmdareq on the Master server.

    vmdareq without args will give you the status of all SSO drives, which
    Media Servers are registered, which have them reserved (in use), and
    finally who is the SCAN_HOST for a particular drive. The "-driveinfo"
    switch to this command, gives this output too.

    The other form of the command gives you a summary table showing the
    SCAN_ABILITY of each host in the SSO configuration;

    vmdareq -hostinfo -a

    I'll say (no offence) - RTFM for this command to get further information
    on it's arguments, capabilities and ramifications. Like vmoprcmd, it is
    not just a status display utility but can change your running SSO
    configuration. You'll also need to read further if your Master server
    isn't your Volume DB host (-h ). Or you wwant to run this
    command on one of your Media Servers, (-M ).

    Hope this helps, or if you require further assistance, drop us a line.

    Regards,
    Andrew R-C.

  7. Re: What is SCAN-TLD ?

    Andrew Ross-Costello wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >Look at the vm.conf parameter; "SSO_SCAN_ABILITY = [0 - 9]"
    >Where 0 is NO ABILITY, 1 is LOWEST, and 9 is HIGHEST.

    Thank you for your response. It did not work for me, but got me going in
    the right direction... Mostly...

    I started out adding SSO_SCAN_ABILITY = x to vm.conf on the master (9) and
    all the media servers (5). Restarted the medias and masters, and "vmdareq
    -hostinfo -a" still reported all hosts has having a "5".

    More Googling and I found http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278996.htm
    . It basically says vm.conf is obsolete and to use nbemmcmd instead. So I
    did:

    nbemmcmd -changesetting -sso_scan_ability X -machinename

    Setting the master to 9 and all the other hosts to 0. Restarted the master
    and all media servers. The value shows correctly when using "nbemmcmd -listsettings"
    for each host, but "vmdareq -hostinfo -a" still shows all hosts have a 5,
    and am still seeing random-like SCAN-TLD under the Device Monitor in the
    Admin Console.

    Again, SCAN-TLD appears to be benign. I have had no errors caused by it.

    >I'll say (no offence) - RTFM for this command to get further information

    >on it's arguments, capabilities and ramifications.

    I hate to ask this, but can you point out which 6.0 document it is listed
    in. I have been unable to find vmdareq in my doc sets, nor are there any
    man pages for it on my systems. I am under the impression vmdareq is an obsolete
    (or soon to be) command.

    It all appears the 5.x "SSO Installation Guide" has been merged into Media
    Manager Admin Guide.

    Thanks again for your responses...

  8. Re: What is SCAN-TLD ?

    "E Wensell" wrote:

    >I started out adding SSO_SCAN_ABILITY = x to vm.conf on the master (9)

    and
    >all the media servers (5). Restarted the medias and masters, and "vmdareq
    >-hostinfo -a" still reported all hosts has having a "5".

    Typo... media servers (0)

  9. Re: What is SCAN-TLD ?

    "E Wensell" wrote:

    >I have upgraded my master and shared-storage media servers from NetBackup
    >5.1 to 6.0MP3. Several, not all, of my drives are coming up SCAN-TLD in

    Device
    >Monitor.

    I'm beginning to really think is is nothing.

    Further clarification, I am seeing this in the BOTTOM panel of Device Monitor.
    In the top panel, all hosts show TLD. If I select a drive, all the hosts
    which have access to that drive are listed in the bottom panel. At least
    one host for each drive shows SCAN-TLD.

    If I go to the command line and run "vmdareq -display -D DriveX", SCAN_HOST
    is displayed next to the same host which has SCAN-TLD in the GUI...

    So, my guess is the GUI is simply telling me which is the current scan host.
    It is just something I had never seen in 5.1 .

  10. Re: What is SCAN-TLD ?

    E Wensell wrote:
    > "E Wensell" wrote:
    >> I have upgraded my master and shared-storage media servers from NetBackup
    >> 5.1 to 6.0MP3. Several, not all, of my drives are coming up SCAN-TLD in

    > Device
    >> Monitor.

    > I'm beginning to really think is is nothing.
    >
    > Further clarification, I am seeing this in the BOTTOM panel of Device Monitor.
    > In the top panel, all hosts show TLD. If I select a drive, all the hosts
    > which have access to that drive are listed in the bottom panel. At least
    > one host for each drive shows SCAN-TLD.
    >
    > If I go to the command line and run "vmdareq -display -D DriveX", SCAN_HOST
    > is displayed next to the same host which has SCAN-TLD in the GUI...
    >
    > So, my guess is the GUI is simply telling me which is the current scan host.
    > It is just something I had never seen in 5.1 .

    I have no pointers to vmdareq in the NB6.0 documentation, it (the
    command/binary) is there in the distribution at the moment, but the
    nbemmcmd seems to be the way to go, as you've found out.

    Apologies for my red-herrings, my SSO configuration is under NB5.1 and
    my exposure to NB6.0 is in a single library with one drive
    configuration, so I've yet to experience SSO under NB6.0, although your
    messages have been a great tutorial in what to expect. And based on your
    last message above, I would concur in that the GUI is now trying to
    inform you on which host is the SCAN_HOST for each drive.

    Regards,
    Andrew.

  11. Re: What is SCAN-TLD ?

    sorry for offtopic but this is the one and only place in internet when this problem has been touched

    One update for you:

    in NBU 6.0 - 6.5 dont use vmdareq.

    Do that way :
    nbemmcmd -changesetting -sso_scan_ability X -machinename
    restart nbu services on media and master, and check for results:
    nbemmcmd -listsettings -machinename

    look for : SSO_SCAN_ABILITY="X"

    btw check this one also: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269656.htm

    and no more 84 errors