Differential incremental backup functionality ? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Differential incremental backup functionality ? - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello, regarding one one of the questions in Storage Mountain FAQ: What is the difference between a cumulative incremental backup and a differential incremental backup? A: A cumulative incremental backup is the backup of all files that have changed since ...

  1. Differential incremental backup functionality ?

    Hello,

    regarding one one of the questions in Storage Mountain FAQ:

    What is the difference between a cumulative incremental backup and a
    differential incremental backup?

    A: A cumulative incremental backup is the backup of all files that
    have changed since the last full backup. A differential incremental
    backup is the backup of all files that have changed since the last
    backup.

    Does that imply that if I done a full backup on 1st January and then
    done differential incremental backups until 31st January, with a
    failure on 17th January, that no data was backed up on 17th January ?

    I just want to be certain about this, as this is never mentioned
    explicitly anywhere. This is regarding NetBackup 5.0.

    Thank you for your time,

    Kilim

  2. Re: Differential incremental backup functionality ?

    The changes on the 17th are lost if those same files change again on the 18th.
    On any day, except the 17th, you can fully recover your data using the FULL
    + Culmulative Incremental.

    For the 17th day recovery, you have the "full" as of the 16th.

    "Kilim" wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >regarding one one of the questions in Storage Mountain FAQ:
    >
    >What is the difference between a cumulative incremental backup and a
    >differential incremental backup?
    >
    >A: A cumulative incremental backup is the backup of all files that
    >have changed since the last full backup. A differential incremental
    >backup is the backup of all files that have changed since the last
    >backup.
    >
    >Does that imply that if I done a full backup on 1st January and then
    >done differential incremental backups until 31st January, with a
    >failure on 17th January, that no data was backed up on 17th January ?
    >
    >I just want to be certain about this, as this is never mentioned
    >explicitly anywhere. This is regarding NetBackup 5.0.
    >
    >Thank you for your time,
    >
    >Kilim

+ Reply to Thread