NDMP and any form of snap shotting... - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on NDMP and any form of snap shotting... - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi Group, I'm hearing rumours from an "architect" that a Windows media server is required to snapshot (dsu?) a Windows client. Is this true? Can't a Solaris media server stage a Windows client? Thanks, Dave....

  1. NDMP and any form of snap shotting...

    Hi Group,

    I'm hearing rumours from an "architect" that a Windows media server is
    required to snapshot (dsu?) a Windows client. Is this true? Can't a
    Solaris media server stage a Windows client?

    Thanks,
    Dave.

  2. Re: NDMP and any form of snap shotting...

    D R wrote:
    > Hi Group,
    >
    > I'm hearing rumours from an "architect" that a Windows media server is
    > required to snapshot (dsu?) a Windows client. Is this true? Can't a
    > Solaris media server stage a Windows client?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave.

    Ah, snapshots in Windows. Both are true (with caveats).

    1. Unix Media Server -> Windows client. If using VSP (Veritas Snapshot
    Provider).

    2. Windows Media Server - Windows Client. If using either Windows
    Snapshots or VSP.

    So your client's NB configuration is the key.

  3. Re: NDMP and any form of snap shotting...

    D R wrote:
    > Hi Group,
    >
    > I'm hearing rumours from an "architect" that a Windows media server is
    > required to snapshot (dsu?) a Windows client. Is this true? Can't a
    > Solaris media server stage a Windows client?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave.

    And a little clarification is in order;

    Windows Snapshots are; Volume Shadow Copy service ((MS-VSS to
    differentiate from Veritas Security Services VSS or VxSS) and only
    available for Windows Server 2003 clients only.

    You configure which type of snapshot to use within the Master Server
    Configuration - "Client Attributes" in the Properties tree and specify
    what you'd like to use per client in this section. Unless you do specify
    (configure), what to use, the backups will default to not using snapshots.

    I personally had no luck using MS-VSS from a Unix Master/Media server
    for Windows 2003 clients. So I used NB's VSP and succeeded. Supposedly,
    both will work regardless, but ...!

    Although I now have a Windows Media Server (WinServer 2003), I have not
    changed from VSP to MS-VSS for my 2003 clients.

    I'm using 5.1MP5 (Unix & Windows) and 6.0MP3 (Windows only) for my
    Corporate and a large branch site respectively.

+ Reply to Thread