Disk staging - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Disk staging - Veritas Net Backup ; HI@ll, I have installed a new media server with one disk staging unit. Than I defined a storage unit on my master server fot this disk staging unit of my media server. Now my question: Who is the initiator for ...

  1. Disk staging

    HI@ll,

    I have installed a new media server with one disk staging unit. Than I defined
    a storage unit on my master server fot this disk staging unit of my media
    server.
    Now my question:
    Who is the initiator for Stage II - for relocation data to tape???
    Is it my master or my media server? This is importent for me because my media
    server has no connection to my libaries.

    Kind regards
    Dirk

  2. Re: Disk staging

    Dirk,

    In the Storage Unit Configuration, Disk Staging Schedule; you are able
    to select the final destination Storage Unit. You should be able to
    select a drive (STU) from your Master Server to perform that final
    relocation.

    Hope this helps. I use a STG (Storage Unit Group) for Disk Staging
    relocations, with local drives first, then another Media Server's drives
    as a fail-over. This doesn't work as you would expect, the only criteria
    used at run-time is whether a drive is busy or not. So in my
    environment; the relocation may end up at the remote site and not local.

    Dirk M wrote:
    > HI@ll,
    >
    > I have installed a new media server with one disk staging unit. Than I defined
    > a storage unit on my master server fot this disk staging unit of my media
    > server.
    > Now my question:
    > Who is the initiator for Stage II - for relocation data to tape???
    > Is it my master or my media server? This is importent for me because my media
    > server has no connection to my libaries.
    >
    > Kind regards
    > Dirk

  3. Re: Disk staging

    Dirk,.
    .... and to answer your real question,

    The Master Server schedules the Final relocation, the initiator would be
    the owner (Media Server) of the STU selected to perform the final
    relocation.

    Which, if I've read correctly, is/(will be), your Master Server.

    Regards,
    andrew

    Dirk M wrote:
    > HI@ll,
    >
    > I have installed a new media server with one disk staging unit. Than I defined
    > a storage unit on my master server fot this disk staging unit of my media
    > server.
    > Now my question:
    > Who is the initiator for Stage II - for relocation data to tape???
    > Is it my master or my media server? This is importent for me because my media
    > server has no connection to my libaries.
    >
    > Kind regards
    > Dirk

  4. Re: Disk staging

    Hi Andrew,

    I also think it will be my Master-Server. So I only need to use my master
    server-devices.

    Thanks for your answer.

    Kind regards
    Dirk

    Andrew Ross-Costello wrote:
    >Dirk,.
    >.... and to answer your real question,
    >
    >The Master Server schedules the Final relocation, the initiator would be

    > the owner (Media Server) of the STU selected to perform the final
    >relocation.
    >
    >Which, if I've read correctly, is/(will be), your Master Server.
    >
    >Regards,
    >andrew
    >
    >Dirk M wrote:
    >> HI@ll,
    >>
    >> I have installed a new media server with one disk staging unit. Than I

    defined
    >> a storage unit on my master server fot this disk staging unit of my media
    >> server.
    >> Now my question:
    >> Who is the initiator for Stage II - for relocation data to tape???
    >> Is it my master or my media server? This is importent for me because my

    media
    >> server has no connection to my libaries.
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >> Dirk

+ Reply to Thread