Disk Staging question - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Disk Staging question - Veritas Net Backup ; I'm interested in disk staging as a cache of sort. I want to create multiple DSU's with about 3GB each. I plan on to initiate my own relocation since the granuality of the relocation frequency only goes down to 1 ...

  1. Disk Staging question

    I'm interested in disk staging as a cache of sort. I want to create multiple
    DSU's with about 3GB each. I plan on to initiate my own relocation since
    the granuality of the relocation frequency only goes down to 1 hour.

    What happens if a particular Policy is backing up a job greater than 3GB?
    Does the job pause/checkpoint and wait for the relocation to finish then
    continue?

    My intend is to just use disk staging for those slow backups and only burden
    the tape unit with full data stream upon relocation.

    Other uses involve separation of data streams or maybe increasing performance
    in case I just want the data off the client. Then I can manage the writing
    to tapes later.

  2. Re: Disk Staging question

    Chan wrote:
    > I'm interested in disk staging as a cache of sort. I want to create multiple
    > DSU's with about 3GB each. I plan on to initiate my own relocation since
    > the granuality of the relocation frequency only goes down to 1 hour.
    >
    > What happens if a particular Policy is backing up a job greater than 3GB?
    > Does the job pause/checkpoint and wait for the relocation to finish then
    > continue?

    Your mileage may vary with this, sometimes it works as expected (pauses
    the job while the relocation is in progress), other times the initial
    backup fails to the Disk STU.

    Your best bet is have sufficient space in your Disk STU's to cover the
    intended backup sizes. Then if your final relocation scheduling is
    regular enough, NB will recognise those images that have been relocated
    (Image files with .ds extension), and remove those images from disk to
    allow the new images to be put on disk.

    In other words; I would not over-subscribe your Disk STU's.

    Regards,
    Andrew.

    > My intend is to just use disk staging for those slow backups and only burden
    > the tape unit with full data stream upon relocation.
    >
    > Other uses involve separation of data streams or maybe increasing performance
    > in case I just want the data off the client. Then I can manage the writing
    > to tapes later.

+ Reply to Thread