Easy network question - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Easy network question - Veritas Net Backup ; We want to install a media server in a different building than where is located the netbackup server. I want some recommendation about the network link between these two buildings to have a good performance throughput. Where should we start ...

  1. Easy network question

    We want to install a media server in a different building than where is located
    the netbackup server. I want some recommendation about the network link
    between these two buildings to have a good performance throughput. Where
    should we start about finding this information?

    Thanks a bunch!

  2. Re: Easy network question

    Eric,

    There isn't a one-size-fits-all answer here - it depends on how many servers
    you are backing up, what speed they can deliver, what your tape drives are,
    what your windows are, etc. I'd assume a gigabit connection but maybe you
    want a private lan, maybe a 10gbit interlink, or maybe 100mbit is enough
    for you.

    There isn't really any high-performance master-media server communication
    so if you are installing a media server to back up servers in that data center
    alone, a 10mbit connection between the two could work.

    Mike

    "Eric Deschamps" wrote:

    >We want to install a media server in a different building than where is

    located
    >the netbackup server. I want some recommendation about the network link
    >between these two buildings to have a good performance throughput. Where
    >should we start about finding this information?
    >
    >Thanks a bunch!

  3. Re: Easy network question

    "Eric Deschamps" wrote:

    >We want to install a media server in a different building than where is

    located
    >the netbackup server. I want some recommendation about the network link
    >between these two buildings to have a good performance throughput. Where
    >should we start about finding this information?
    >
    >Thanks a bunch!

    Eric,

    We have the same situation. Our connection is formed by Silkworm 3800
    switches, forming a SAN that goes off to our shared tape drives. I believe
    they have 1G and possibly 2G capability.

    Scott

+ Reply to Thread