Rebuild process of Netbackup - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Rebuild process of Netbackup - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, Can any body send the details and the process of how to rebuild a Netbackup server(Master), in the event of crash. Pavan...

  1. Rebuild process of Netbackup

    Hi,
    Can any body send the details and the process of how to rebuild a Netbackup
    server(Master), in the event of crash.

    Pavan

  2. Re: Rebuild process of Netbackup

    "Pavan" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Can any body send the details and the process of how to rebuild a Netbackup
    >server(Master), in the event of crash.
    >
    >Pavan

    I'm sure Veritas has a more detailed document but in a nutshell:

    - I would call the new server the same as the old. I've heard too many problems
    associated with differing names.

    - Once you've reinstalled the OS and the Veritas NBU software, find your
    catalog backup tape, load it into the tape robot, and list the images:

    bprecover -l [this is a lower-case "L"] -m tape# -d density

    It will list a series of images which represent paths which are backed up
    periodically [we do it daily] with the "bpbackupdb" command.

    - Choose the images and then do

    bprecover -r [ALL | image#] -m tape# -d density

    - Stop all daemons

    bp.kill_all

    - Restart

    /etc/rc2.d/S77netbackup start [or something along those lines]

    Hopefully this points you in the right direction.

    Scott

  3. Re: Rebuild process of Netbackup

    This is detailed in the NetBackup 6.0 Troubleshooting Guide available on the
    support.veritas.com website....very good chapter on Disaster Recovery.

    "Pavan" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Can any body send the details and the process of how to rebuild a Netbackup
    >server(Master), in the event of crash.
    >
    >Pavan

  4. Re: Rebuild process of Netbackup

    Is all settings and policys a part of the catalog backup? So if I restore
    the catalog, everything will be back?

    "KTM" wrote:

    >This is detailed in the NetBackup 6.0 Troubleshooting Guide available on

    the
    >support.veritas.com website....very good chapter on Disaster Recovery.
    >

    >"Pavan" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>Can any body send the details and the process of how to rebuild a Netbackup
    >>server(Master), in the event of crash.
    >>
    >>Pavan

  5. Re: Rebuild process of Netbackup

    Hi Ovyind,

    Everything that you can configure in the GUI will come back.

    Things that won't come back as part of a catalog restore are:
    1) Any bpstart or bpend notify scripts
    2) Any email routines that you have/use (e.g. "blat")
    3) Any special configuration files (e.g. MEDIA_ERROR_THRESHOLD, and may many
    others - if you have used them, and this includes any of the popular buffer
    tuning parameter files).

    Regards,
    Dave.

    "Oyvind" wrote in message

    > Is all settings and policys a part of the catalog backup? So if I restore
    > the catalog, everything will be back?
    >

    > "KTM" wrote:
    >>
    >>This is detailed in the NetBackup 6.0 Troubleshooting Guide available on

    > the
    >>support.veritas.com website....very good chapter on Disaster Recovery.
    >>

    >>"Pavan" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>Can any body send the details and the process of how to rebuild a
    >>>Netbackup
    >>>server(Master), in the event of crash.
    >>>
    >>>Pavan

  6. Re: Rebuild process of Netbackup

    Hi Dave

    Thank you so much. Then it seems that I should be safe. Regardless I have
    planned to lab a total desaster recovery of Master server.

    Best regards

    Oyvind

    "D R" wrote:
    >Hi Ovyind,
    >
    >Everything that you can configure in the GUI will come back.
    >
    >Things that won't come back as part of a catalog restore are:
    >1) Any bpstart or bpend notify scripts
    >2) Any email routines that you have/use (e.g. "blat")
    >3) Any special configuration files (e.g. MEDIA_ERROR_THRESHOLD, and may

    many
    >others - if you have used them, and this includes any of the popular buffer

    >tuning parameter files).
    >
    >Regards,
    >Dave.
    >

    >"Oyvind" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Is all settings and policys a part of the catalog backup? So if I restore
    >> the catalog, everything will be back?
    >>

    >> "KTM" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>This is detailed in the NetBackup 6.0 Troubleshooting Guide available

    on
    >> the
    >>>support.veritas.com website....very good chapter on Disaster Recovery.

+ Reply to Thread