Backup through firewall - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Backup through firewall - Veritas Net Backup ; Hey guys I'm trying to configure a client to backed up through a fire wall. I got your article on how to accomplish this. I just have one little question. But first I'll give you some background details. Our MAIN ...

  1. Backup through firewall

    Hey guys

    I'm trying to configure a client to backed up through a fire wall. I got
    your article on how to accomplish this. I just have one little question.
    But first I'll give you some background details.

    Our MAIN server is running Unix, so i will edit the bp.conf file specify
    client name, Client_Port_Window etc. My clients are windows 2003 server.
    The unix part is pretty straight forward so no problems there.

    My questions is on the client boxes (win2k3) I have to edit the registry,
    edit the string for CLIENT_PORT_WINDOW, CLIENT_RESERVED_PORT_WINDOW and the
    ALLOW_NON_RESERVED_PORTS

    Do I have to create and edit a string for the SERVER_PORT_WINDOW and SERVER_RESERVED_PORT_WINDOW
    ?cause they aren't there. Or would this be a step if I was using a Windows
    box as my Main Server???

    Any help would be much appreciated

    Thanks Guys

    Matt

  2. Re: Backup through firewall

    Unless I'm missing something, this can be much simpler than you
    describe! (comments within & below). cheers, wayne

    Matt Eckenswiller wrote, in part, on 7/31/2006 3:28 PM:
    > I'm trying to configure a client to backed up through a fire wall. I got
    > your article on how to accomplish this. I just have one little question.
    > But first I'll give you some background details.
    >
    > Our MAIN server is running Unix, so i will edit the bp.conf file specify
    > client name, Client_Port_Window etc. My clients are windows 2003 server.
    > The unix part is pretty straight forward so no problems there.

    By "MAIN server" do you mean the NetBackup master and media server? If
    so, no bp.conf entry is needed (except for the server to backup itself).

    > My questions is on the client boxes (win2k3) I have to edit the registry,
    > edit the string for CLIENT_PORT_WINDOW, CLIENT_RESERVED_PORT_WINDOW and the
    > ALLOW_NON_RESERVED_PORTS

    What torture.

    I'd make entries for your clients in the "Client Attributes"
    configuration of the NetBackup server (Admin Console -> NetBackup
    Management -> Host Properties -> Master Servers ... right click the
    entry for your master server and choose "Properties) -> Client
    Attributes). Add an entry for the client, making sure "VNETD Port" is
    chosen.

    If you use the common ports (13720, 13724, 13782, 13783), that's it ...
    no registry changes, no file editing.

    Well, you might open those ports, bidirectionally, on all firewalls in
    the way). ;-)

  3. Re: Backup through firewall

    Wayne T Smith wrote:
    >Unless I'm missing something, this can be much simpler than you
    >describe! (comments within & below). cheers, wayne
    >
    >Matt Eckenswiller wrote, in part, on 7/31/2006 3:28 PM:
    >> I'm trying to configure a client to backed up through a fire wall. I got
    >> your article on how to accomplish this. I just have one little question.
    >> But first I'll give you some background details.
    >>
    >> Our MAIN server is running Unix, so i will edit the bp.conf file specify
    >> client name, Client_Port_Window etc. My clients are windows 2003 server.
    >> The unix part is pretty straight forward so no problems there.

    >By "MAIN server" do you mean the NetBackup master and media server? If

    >so, no bp.conf entry is needed (except for the server to backup itself).
    >
    >> My questions is on the client boxes (win2k3) I have to edit the registry,
    >> edit the string for CLIENT_PORT_WINDOW, CLIENT_RESERVED_PORT_WINDOW and

    the
    >> ALLOW_NON_RESERVED_PORTS

    >What torture.
    >
    >I'd make entries for your clients in the "Client Attributes"
    >configuration of the NetBackup server (Admin Console -> NetBackup
    >Management -> Host Properties -> Master Servers ... right click the
    >entry for your master server and choose "Properties) -> Client
    >Attributes). Add an entry for the client, making sure "VNETD Port" is
    >chosen.
    >
    >If you use the common ports (13720, 13724, 13782, 13783), that's it ...

    >no registry changes, no file editing.
    >
    >Well, you might open those ports, bidirectionally, on all firewalls in
    >the way). ;-)

    Thanks For the Reply Wayne much appreciated. Yes by main i meant master and
    media, sorry. Yeah I found a much easier way of doing this and I tested it
    and it works. What I did was on the Master edited the bp.conf file to recognize
    the client . Then on the client in the registry Specified the port with a
    the appropriate Hex value of the port, saved it and everything went fine.

    The issue i was having with your suggestion was we aren't using vnetd. that
    would have made my life easier.

    But thanks again for your help buddy.

+ Reply to Thread