scratch tapes get assigned to other pool without use - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on scratch tapes get assigned to other pool without use - Veritas Net Backup ; Is there a question in there someplace? ;-) The tapes are placed in a volume group and volume pool according to your bar code rules. If you don't like where they went, just "change" their volume pool and/or "move" their ...

  1. Re: scratch tapes get assigned to other pool without use

    Is there a question in there someplace? ;-)

    The tapes are placed in a volume group and volume pool according to your
    bar code rules.

    If you don't like where they went, just "change" their volume pool
    and/or "move" their volume group. In the Admin Console, highlight the
    tapes of interest, right click and choose "change" or "move", select the
    pool or group you want for them ... and voila, they are in the right place!

    If you are adding these through an access port, using the Admin Console,
    click "Advanced Options" to specify where you want the tapes to go.

    cheers, wayne

    Nestor Moya wrote, in part, on 7/31/2006 11:28 AM:
    > the environment is NetBackup Enterprise Server 5.1 running on Windows 2000
    > server. After I loaded over 100 new scratch tapes they turned up into another
    > pool
    > without being used, or mounted in a tape drive.

  2. scratch tapes get assigned to other pool without use

    Hello everybody,
    the environment is NetBackup Enterprise Server 5.1 running on Windows 2000
    server. After I loaded over 100 new scratch tapes they turned up into another
    pool
    without being used, or mounted in a tape drive.
    I will appreciate any info. thx

  3. Re: scratch tapes get assigned to other pool without use

    The question is why sometimes when I load scratch tapes they get assigned
    to another pool, all of them with the same time assigned date and time? no
    mounts occurs.
    This happens wether with new tapes or recycled tapes.
    Then what we have to do is deassigned them, and after that delete them. run
    an inventory and we have them back into the scratch volume pool.

    thanks for any response

    Wayne T Smith wrote:
    >Is there a question in there someplace? ;-)
    >
    >The tapes are placed in a volume group and volume pool according to your

    >bar code rules.
    >
    >If you don't like where they went, just "change" their volume pool
    >and/or "move" their volume group. In the Admin Console, highlight the
    >tapes of interest, right click and choose "change" or "move", select the

    >pool or group you want for them ... and voila, they are in the right place!
    >
    >If you are adding these through an access port, using the Admin Console,

    >click "Advanced Options" to specify where you want the tapes to go.
    >
    >cheers, wayne
    >
    >Nestor Moya wrote, in part, on 7/31/2006 11:28 AM:
    >> the environment is NetBackup Enterprise Server 5.1 running on Windows

    2000
    >> server. After I loaded over 100 new scratch tapes they turned up into

    another
    >> pool
    >> without being used, or mounted in a tape drive.

  4. Re: scratch tapes get assigned to other pool without use

    .... and I was trying to say (1) your bar code rules are probably put the
    tapes in the different pool, and (2) it's trivial to change them to the
    pool you want them in (Scratch) ... no de-assigning, deleting nor
    re-inventory-ing necessary.

    cheers, wayne

    Nestor Moya wrote, in part, on 7/31/2006 1:39 PM:
    > The question is why sometimes when I load scratch tapes they get assigned
    > to another pool, all of them with the same time assigned date and time? no
    > mounts occurs.
    > This happens wether with new tapes or recycled tapes.
    > Then what we have to do is deassigned them, and after that delete them. run
    > an inventory and we have them back into the scratch volume pool.
    >
    > thanks for any response
    >
    > Wayne T Smith wrote:
    >> Is there a question in there someplace? ;-)
    >>
    >> The tapes are placed in a volume group and volume pool according to your

    >> bar code rules.
    >>
    >> If you don't like where they went, just "change" their volume pool
    >> and/or "move" their volume group. In the Admin Console, highlight the
    >> tapes of interest, right click and choose "change" or "move", select the

    >> pool or group you want for them ... and voila, they are in the right place!
    >>
    >> If you are adding these through an access port, using the Admin Console,

    >> click "Advanced Options" to specify where you want the tapes to go.
    >>
    >> cheers, wayne
    >>
    >> Nestor Moya wrote, in part, on 7/31/2006 11:28 AM:
    >>> the environment is NetBackup Enterprise Server 5.1 running on Windows

    > 2000
    >>> server. After I loaded over 100 new scratch tapes they turned up into

    > another
    >>> pool
    >>> without being used, or mounted in a tape drive.

  5. Re: scratch tapes get assigned to other pool without use

    I found that deleting all media, then re-inventorying the robot - Only if
    you have a barcode reader - has helped me

    Remember the happy triangle - media type, drive type, and storage unit type
    are all in agreement!

    Let me know how it turns out!

    kd

  6. Re: scratch tapes get assigned to other pool without use

    But this does not happen all the time, this is the second time inlike more
    than 3 months. I think if it was a barcode rules thing, It would happen everytime
    I load new scratch tapes and tapes that turned scratch because expiration
    date.

    thank you

    Wayne T Smith wrote:
    >.... and I was trying to say (1) your bar code rules are probably put the

    >tapes in the different pool, and (2) it's trivial to change them to the

    >pool you want them in (Scratch) ... no de-assigning, deleting nor
    >re-inventory-ing necessary.
    >
    >cheers, wayne
    >
    >Nestor Moya wrote, in part, on 7/31/2006 1:39 PM:
    >> The question is why sometimes when I load scratch tapes they get assigned
    >> to another pool, all of them with the same time assigned date and time?

    no
    >> mounts occurs.
    >> This happens wether with new tapes or recycled tapes.
    >> Then what we have to do is deassigned them, and after that delete them.

    run
    >> an inventory and we have them back into the scratch volume pool.
    >>
    >> thanks for any response
    >>
    >> Wayne T Smith wrote:
    >>> Is there a question in there someplace? ;-)
    >>>
    >>> The tapes are placed in a volume group and volume pool according to your

    >>> bar code rules.
    >>>
    >>> If you don't like where they went, just "change" their volume pool
    >>> and/or "move" their volume group. In the Admin Console, highlight the

    >>> tapes of interest, right click and choose "change" or "move", select

    the

    >>> pool or group you want for them ... and voila, they are in the right

    place!

    >>> If you are adding these through an access port, using the Admin Console,

    >>> click "Advanced Options" to specify where you want the tapes to go.
    >>>
    >>> cheers, wayne

    >> 2000

    >> another

  7. Re: scratch tapes get assigned to other pool without use

    another thing is that happens randomly, going from one volume pool to another
    in matters of seconds.

    "Nestor Moya" wrote:

    >But this does not happen all the time, this is the second time inlike more
    >than 3 months. I think if it was a barcode rules thing, It would happen

    everytime
    >I load new scratch tapes and tapes that turned scratch because expiration
    >date.
    >
    >thank you
    >

    >Wayne T Smith wrote:
    >>.... and I was trying to say (1) your bar code rules are probably put the

    >>tapes in the different pool, and (2) it's trivial to change them to the

    >>pool you want them in (Scratch) ... no de-assigning, deleting nor
    >>re-inventory-ing necessary.
    >>
    >>cheers, wayne
    >>
    >>Nestor Moya wrote, in part, on 7/31/2006 1:39 PM:
    >>> The question is why sometimes when I load scratch tapes they get assigned
    >>> to another pool, all of them with the same time assigned date and time?

    >no
    >>> mounts occurs.
    >>> This happens wether with new tapes or recycled tapes.
    >>> Then what we have to do is deassigned them, and after that delete them.

    >run
    >>> an inventory and we have them back into the scratch volume pool.
    >>>
    >>> thanks for any response

    your

    >the

    >place!