Licensing for VMWare Virtual Machines - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Licensing for VMWare Virtual Machines - Veritas Net Backup ; We currently use Netbackup as our standard backup solution, and own licenses for each machine we are backing up. we will soon be deploying VMWare Virtual Infrastructure 3 in our environment, and plan to begin virtualizing a number of existing ...

  1. Licensing for VMWare Virtual Machines

    We currently use Netbackup as our standard backup solution, and own licenses
    for each machine we are backing up. we will soon be deploying VMWare Virtual
    Infrastructure 3 in our environment, and plan to begin virtualizing a number
    of existing servers.

    What is the licensing model for Virtual Servers? I have been told that we
    need only to license the physical box, and that we can then back up all vMs
    on that box "for free". Is this correct, or do we need to license each VM
    as if it were a stand-alone machine?

    Thanks,

    Gary

  2. Re: Licensing for VMWare Virtual Machines

    I dont think veritas has a licensing policy for VMWARE.

    A workaround will be, putting the vmwares' .dsk files into backup mode so
    the writes will go into a .redo file, helping you to take the backup of .dsk
    will consistantly. You can include the script for putting the dsk file into
    backup mode in the bpstart_notify script and an end backup script in bpend_notify.

    I have setup this procedure for one my customer and its working fine for
    them for the past one year.

    "Gary" wrote:

    >We currently use Netbackup as our standard backup solution, and own licenses
    >for each machine we are backing up. we will soon be deploying VMWare Virtual
    >Infrastructure 3 in our environment, and plan to begin virtualizing a number
    >of existing servers.
    >
    >What is the licensing model for Virtual Servers? I have been told that

    we
    >need only to license the physical box, and that we can then back up all

    vMs
    >on that box "for free". Is this correct, or do we need to license each

    VM
    >as if it were a stand-alone machine?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Gary