Can you duplicate 2 or more tapes to one - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Can you duplicate 2 or more tapes to one - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi I am wondering if there is a way of duplicating data on e.g 3 tapes to one. The data on the three tapes will not exceed the maximum capacity of the duplication tape. If it can be done, do ...

  1. Can you duplicate 2 or more tapes to one

    Hi I am wondering if there is a way of duplicating data on e.g 3 tapes to
    one. The data on the three tapes will not exceed the maximum capacity of
    the duplication tape. If it can be done, do you have instructions on how
    to do this, please?
    Thanks

  2. Re: Can you duplicate 2 or more tapes to one

    "phillip" wrote:

    >Hi I am wondering if there is a way of duplicating data on e.g 3 tapes to
    >one. The data on the three tapes will not exceed the maximum capacity of
    >the duplication tape. If it can be done, do you have instructions on how
    >to do this, please?

    Read the manuals; that's basic NetBackup functionality implemented by bpduplicate.

    1. purchase the Vault option (Vault Administrator's Guide)
    2. read up on bpduplicate (Commands manual)
    3. use the Duplicate function in the GUI (System Administrator's Guide Vol
    I)

  3. Re: Can you duplicate 2 or more tapes to one

    >"phillip" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi I am wondering if there is a way of duplicating data on e.g 3 tapes

    >>one. The data on the three tapes will not exceed the maximum capacity of
    >>the duplication tape. If it can be done, do you have instructions on how
    >>to do this, please?

    Yes you can. You don't even need Vault to do it.

    First, if you don't want any other data on your destination tape except this
    stuff, create a new volume pool. Then go to the Catalog section of the
    GUI, change the pulldown from "Verify" to "Duplicate". Now here's where
    the tricky part comes in: you'd like to specify your search criteria so
    that the images from all 3 tapes show up simultaneously. If you can do that,
    you can then select all the images and right-click and choose "duplicate".
    Notice that you can select the volume pool in this subsequent dialog box.
    If you can't get all images to show up at once, you'll just have to chance
    that NBU will continue to use the same tape [it should if there is space
    left]. Voila! Poor man's vaulting.

    I've used this method many times, either to try and complete a vault that
    would not finish with the normal method or when attempting to copy data off
    of a known bad tape that I wanted to discard.

    Scott

+ Reply to Thread