Restoring data after Client Names Change - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Restoring data after Client Names Change - Veritas Net Backup ; For the restore, just set the source client to be the old client name and the destination client to be the new name (assuming you're running the client interface from on the master server or admin console machine). "Greg" wrote ...

  1. Re: Restoring data after Client Names Change

    "Greg" wrote in message

    > I should also mention that our Master is AIX 5.3 running NBU 5.1 MP4.
    >
    > The clients in question are a mix for 4.5 MP3, 4.5 MP6, and 5.1 MP4 on
    > Win2K
    > and Win2K3.
    >
    > Thanks

  2. Restoring data after Client Names Change

    We are being required to change some Server names on Win2K servers as they
    move from one facility to another and I am leary of potential restore issues.

    If the server name changes and resolves to a new address, and the client
    name in the NBU configuration changes, won't the images from that point on
    be backed up under the new client name?

    How can I restore data that was backed up under the old client name prior
    to the name change?

    We have some legal requirements to retain and be able to restore some data
    for 7 years. I'm concerned that the name change may not allow us to meet
    these requirements.

    Any recommendations appreciated.

  3. Re: Restoring data after Client Names Change

    I should also mention that our Master is AIX 5.3 running NBU 5.1 MP4.

    The clients in question are a mix for 4.5 MP3, 4.5 MP6, and 5.1 MP4 on Win2K
    and Win2K3.

    Thanks

  4. Re: Restoring data after Client Names Change

    Thanks,
    I'll test this. Do I need to keep the old names aliased in DNS to the
    new addresses for resolution, or does the destination address just need to
    resolve?

    Thanks

    "Souljacker" <.@.> wrote:
    >For the restore, just set the source client to be the old client name and

    >the destination client to be the new name (assuming you're running the
    >client interface from on the master server or admin console machine).
    >
    >"Greg" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I should also mention that our Master is AIX 5.3 running NBU 5.1 MP4.
    >>
    >> The clients in question are a mix for 4.5 MP3, 4.5 MP6, and 5.1 MP4 on

    >> Win2K
    >> and Win2K3.
    >>
    >> Thanks

  5. Re: Restoring data after Client Names Change

    in article 44be4644@ROSASTDMZ05., Greg at gregory.moore@gmail.com wrote on
    7/19/06 7:48 AM:

    > Thanks,
    > I'll test this. Do I need to keep the old names aliased in DNS to the
    > new addresses for resolution, or does the destination address just need to
    > resolve?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Souljacker" <.@.> wrote:
    >> For the restore, just set the source client to be the old client name and

    >> the destination client to be the new name (assuming you're running the
    >> client interface from on the master server or admin console machine).
    >>
    >> "Greg" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I should also mention that our Master is AIX 5.3 running NBU 5.1 MP4.
    >>>
    >>> The clients in question are a mix for 4.5 MP3, 4.5 MP6, and 5.1 MP4 on

    >>> Win2K
    >>> and Win2K3.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    You do not.

  6. Re: Restoring data after Client Names Change

    Greg,

    Explanation; the source client definition in the Backup/Restore pane is
    to query the Volume DB for backup images for the client as named at the
    time of the backup.

    ps wrote:
    > in article 44be4644@ROSASTDMZ05., Greg at gregory.moore@gmail.com wrote on
    > 7/19/06 7:48 AM:
    >
    >> Thanks,
    >> I'll test this. Do I need to keep the old names aliased in DNS to the
    >> new addresses for resolution, or does the destination address just need to
    >> resolve?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> "Souljacker" <.@.> wrote:
    >>> For the restore, just set the source client to be the old client name and
    >>> the destination client to be the new name (assuming you're running the
    >>> client interface from on the master server or admin console machine).
    >>>
    >>> "Greg" wrote in message

    > You do not.

+ Reply to Thread