How do I move the NetBackup Catalog for Version 5.1 MP5 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on How do I move the NetBackup Catalog for Version 5.1 MP5 - Veritas Net Backup ; Greatings, I have an issue where I am out of disk space on the default system volume of my NetBackup 5.1 MP5 Master server (windows Server 2003) and 80% of the space is taken up by the \NetBackup\db\Images and subsequent ...

  1. How do I move the NetBackup Catalog for Version 5.1 MP5

    Greatings,

    I have an issue where I am out of disk space on the default system volume
    of my NetBackup 5.1 MP5 Master server (windows Server 2003) and 80% of the
    space is taken up by the \NetBackup\db\Images and subsequent directories.
    I have compressed the images which helped for a little while but am now almost
    done with only 300MB left. So now I have added a second RAID1 volume which
    has 106GB free and would like to relocate the catalog to that volume, I am
    sure it is possible I just haven't been able to find out how. I have googled
    to no avail so i am hoping it is something simple that someone can answer
    for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: How do I move the NetBackup Catalog for Version 5.1 MP5

    "Damien" wrote:

    >Greatings,
    >
    >I have an issue where I am out of disk space on the default system volume
    >of my NetBackup 5.1 MP5 Master server (windows Server 2003) and 80% of the
    >space is taken up by the \NetBackup\db\Images and subsequent directories.
    >I have compressed the images which helped for a little while but am now

    almost
    >done with only 300MB left. So now I have added a second RAID1 volume which
    >has 106GB free and would like to relocate the catalog to that volume, I

    am
    >sure it is possible I just haven't been able to find out how. I have googled
    >to no avail so i am hoping it is something simple that someone can answer
    >for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    On a Unix box, you just move the image structure (in whole or in part) to
    somewhere else and replace the original with a symlink, or mount the new
    volume in the original location. Doesn't Windows now have the capability
    of mounting a directory onto any other directory? Second choice is to use
    the "catarc" family of procedures, which are described in the System Administrator's
    Guide.

    The SAG and Installation Guide have complete info about how to determine
    the space requirements for the catalog. Too late for you now, but will
    be helpful in estimating how long that 106GB will last.

  3. Re: How do I move the NetBackup Catalog for Version 5.1 MP5

    This hasn't been tested yet, but I believe if you copy the db folder to the
    new volume and change the drive letter within HKey_local_Machine\software\veritas\netbackup\curr entversion
    it may work. Just make sure you have a good backup of your cataloges and
    db before you attempt.

    Damien" wrote:

    >Greatings,
    >
    >I have an issue where I am out of disk space on the default system volume
    >of my NetBackup 5.1 MP5 Master server (windows Server 2003) and 80% of the
    >space is taken up by the \NetBackup\db\Images and subsequent directories.
    >I have compressed the images which helped for a little while but am now

    almost
    >done with only 300MB left. So now I have added a second RAID1 volume which
    >has 106GB free and would like to relocate the catalog to that volume, I

    am
    >sure it is possible I just haven't been able to find out how. I have googled
    >to no avail so i am hoping it is something simple that someone can answer
    >for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

  4. Re: How do I move the NetBackup Catalog for Version 5.1 MP5

    You can just use the ALTPATH functionailty built in to NetBackup to move the
    images catalog to you new drive letter. It's covered in some detail in the
    Sys Admin Guide Vol I. I've done it before (on version 4.5 IIRC) and it
    works OK.

    Hope this helps

    "Joe" wrote in message

    > This hasn't been tested yet, but I believe if you copy the db folder to
    > the
    > new volume and change the drive letter within
    > HKey_local_Machine\software\veritas\netbackup\curr entversion
    > it may work. Just make sure you have a good backup of your cataloges and
    > db before you attempt.
    >
    > Damien" wrote:
    >>
    >>Greatings,
    >>
    >>I have an issue where I am out of disk space on the default system volume
    >>of my NetBackup 5.1 MP5 Master server (windows Server 2003) and 80% of the
    >>space is taken up by the \NetBackup\db\Images and subsequent directories.
    >>I have compressed the images which helped for a little while but am now

    > almost
    >>done with only 300MB left. So now I have added a second RAID1 volume which
    >>has 106GB free and would like to relocate the catalog to that volume, I

    > am
    >>sure it is possible I just haven't been able to find out how. I have
    >>googled
    >>to no avail so i am hoping it is something simple that someone can answer
    >>for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

  5. Re: How do I move the NetBackup Catalog for Version 5.1 MP5

    "Damien" wrote:

    >Greatings,
    >
    >I have an issue where I am out of disk space on the default system volume
    >of my NetBackup 5.1 MP5 Master server (windows Server 2003) and 80% of the
    >space is taken up by the \NetBackup\db\Images and subsequent directories.
    >I have compressed the images which helped for a little while but am now

    almost
    >done with only 300MB left. So now I have added a second RAID1 volume which
    >has 106GB free and would like to relocate the catalog to that volume, I

    am
    >sure it is possible I just haven't been able to find out how. I have googled
    >to no avail so i am hoping it is something simple that someone can answer
    >for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Hi Damien,

    my english is not good -
    You must in the path netbackup\db\images\clientname create a new file with
    name
    "altpath".
    Please stop the NB-Services with bpdown -f.
    Open the file with a editor and write the new path (example e:\alternate_db\image\clientname)
    without Space.
    Move the DB-Files to the alternate_db (exclude the file altpath).
    Restart NB with bpup -f.

    Best Regards Rico

+ Reply to Thread