Netbackup / RMAN - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Netbackup / RMAN - Veritas Net Backup ; I want to use Netbackup Tape libraries with oracle RMAN, for online / hot backup. Do I need an oracle agent / plug-in for Netbackup? Iím specifically looking for .so / .a64 files which act as MML for RMAN. I ...

  1. Netbackup / RMAN

    I want to use Netbackup Tape libraries with oracle RMAN, for online / hot
    backup. Do I need an oracle agent / plug-in for Netbackup? Iím specifically
    looking for .so / .a64 files which act as MML for RMAN. I canít see those
    files in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin. Can anybody please help.

  2. Re: Netbackup / RMAN

    "Yogesh B" wrote:

    >I want to use Netbackup Tape libraries with oracle RMAN, for online / hot
    >backup. Do I need an oracle agent / plug-in for Netbackup? Iím specifically
    >looking for .so / .a64 files which act as MML for RMAN. I canít see those
    >files in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin. Can anybody please help.

    The Oracle agent is a NetBackup option. It is on your CDs; so purchase the
    option, install the agent and link libobk on the media server, and add the
    license to the master server. Oh, and read the manuals.

  3. Re: Netbackup / RMAN

    So without oracle agent, I can not perform hot backup?

    "richard" wrote:

    >"Yogesh B" wrote:
    >>
    >>I want to use Netbackup Tape libraries with oracle RMAN, for online / hot
    >>backup. Do I need an oracle agent / plug-in for Netbackup? Iím specifically
    >>looking for .so / .a64 files which act as MML for RMAN. I canít see those
    >>files in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin. Can anybody please help.

    >The Oracle agent is a NetBackup option. It is on your CDs; so purchase

    the
    >option, install the agent and link libobk on the media server, and add the
    >license to the master server. Oh, and read the manuals.

  4. Re: Netbackup / RMAN

    "Yogesh B" wrote:

    >So without oracle agent, I can not perform hot backup?

    Nobody said that. The NetBackup Oracle agent supplies the media layer to
    RMAN--the libobk.so interface for sbttape devices (and providing a framework,
    a script generator, a GUI, consistency checks with RMAN, et cetera). There's
    nothing preventing you from using RMAN to do hot (or cold) backups all by
    itself, allocating channels of type disk. No NetBackup involvement required
    at all, though you would probably want to back up those disk dumps with NetBackup.

    The manuals are quite informative; you should be able to download them from
    the Web site.

    >"richard" wrote:
    >>
    >>"Yogesh B" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I want to use Netbackup Tape libraries with oracle RMAN, for online /

    hot
    >>>backup. Do I need an oracle agent / plug-in for Netbackup? Iím specifically
    >>>looking for .so / .a64 files which act as MML for RMAN. I canít see those
    >>>files in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin. Can anybody please help.

    >>The Oracle agent is a NetBackup option. It is on your CDs; so purchase

    >the
    >>option, install the agent and link libobk on the media server, and add

    the
    >>license to the master server. Oh, and read the manuals.

  5. Re: Netbackup / RMAN

    Question should have been

    Without oracle agent, can I perform hot backup to netbackup tape library?

    "richard" wrote:

    >"Yogesh B" wrote:
    >>
    >>So without oracle agent, I can not perform hot backup?

    >Nobody said that. The NetBackup Oracle agent supplies the media layer to
    >RMAN--the libobk.so interface for sbttape devices (and providing a framework,
    >a script generator, a GUI, consistency checks with RMAN, et cetera). There's
    >nothing preventing you from using RMAN to do hot (or cold) backups all by
    >itself, allocating channels of type disk. No NetBackup involvement required
    >at all, though you would probably want to back up those disk dumps with

    NetBackup.

    >The manuals are quite informative; you should be able to download them from
    >the Web site.

    >hot
    >>>
    >>>The Oracle agent is a NetBackup option. It is on your CDs; so purchase

    >>the
    >>>option, install the agent and link libobk on the media server, and add

    >the
    >>>license to the master server. Oh, and read the manuals.

  6. Re: Netbackup / RMAN

    "Yogesh B" wrote:

    >Question should have been
    >
    >Without oracle agent, can I perform hot backup to netbackup tape library?

    Answer should have been

    How good a programmer are you?

    Seriously, Veritas (and other vendors) sells a tool to do the job. Do you
    think there would be a market for those tools if they weren't needed? Suggest
    you buy the tool, write your own, or use a disk channel type.

    /
    >>hot

    those

    >>>the