Vaulting (Tape Copy Speeds) - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Vaulting (Tape Copy Speeds) - Veritas Net Backup ; I've just set up vaulting on our NetBackup servers at work. Currently it is configured to use one media servrer which has 2 tape drive attached. The entire copy was a little over 1tb... It took about 31 hours to ...

  1. Vaulting (Tape Copy Speeds)

    I've just set up vaulting on our NetBackup servers at work. Currently it
    is configured to use one media servrer which has 2 tape drive attached. The
    entire copy was a little over 1tb... It took about 31 hours to complete.
    The speed seems slow to me, about 9mb/s ... Has anyone else had this type
    of problem?

    The library is an IBM 3584 Ultrascalable, drives are Ultrium LTO2 2GB.

  2. Re: Vaulting (Tape Copy Speeds)

    Same for me.. almost same setup. 9.44 mb/s

    "Chris" wrote in message

    > I've just set up vaulting on our NetBackup servers at work. Currently it
    > is configured to use one media servrer which has 2 tape drive attached.
    > The
    > entire copy was a little over 1tb... It took about 31 hours to complete.
    > The speed seems slow to me, about 9mb/s ... Has anyone else had this type
    > of problem?
    >
    > The library is an IBM 3584 Ultrascalable, drives are Ultrium LTO2 2GB.

  3. Re: Vaulting (Tape Copy Speeds)

    That seems slow. With good tapes on LTO1 I get as high as 20 MB/sec, avg
    15 MB/sec. Use the tuning guide to tune your system and also I work run
    some backup with new tapes and duplicate on to new tapes. A bad tape drive
    will ruin tapes. If you do not have new tapes long erase the old tapes before
    use if you can.

    "Tobias Mueller" wrote:
    >Same for me.. almost same setup. 9.44 mb/s
    >

    >"Chris" wrote in message
    >>

    >> I've just set up vaulting on our NetBackup servers at work. Currently

    it
    >> is configured to use one media servrer which has 2 tape drive attached.

    >> The
    >> entire copy was a little over 1tb... It took about 31 hours to complete.
    >> The speed seems slow to me, about 9mb/s ... Has anyone else had this type
    >> of problem?
    >>
    >> The library is an IBM 3584 Ultrascalable, drives are Ultrium LTO2 2GB.

  4. Re: Vaulting (Tape Copy Speeds)

    I recall theres a fix to be more performant in v6 (shared mem?) as previous
    versions are a bit tardy ( ie slower then the original backup)

    "Jim" wrote:

    >That seems slow. With good tapes on LTO1 I get as high as 20 MB/sec, avg
    >15 MB/sec. Use the tuning guide to tune your system and also I work run
    >some backup with new tapes and duplicate on to new tapes. A bad tape drive
    >will ruin tapes. If you do not have new tapes long erase the old tapes

    before
    >use if you can.
    >
    >"Tobias Mueller" wrote:
    >>Same for me.. almost same setup. 9.44 mb/s
    >>

    >>"Chris" wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> I've just set up vaulting on our NetBackup servers at work. Currently

    >it
    >>> is configured to use one media servrer which has 2 tape drive attached.

    >>> The
    >>> entire copy was a little over 1tb... It took about 31 hours to complete.
    >>> The speed seems slow to me, about 9mb/s ... Has anyone else had this

    type
    >>> of problem?
    >>>
    >>> The library is an IBM 3584 Ultrascalable, drives are Ultrium LTO2 2GB.

+ Reply to Thread