6.0 MP2 = NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on 6.0 MP2 = NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS - Veritas Net Backup ; Windows Server 2003 on 6.0MP2 The only reason I installed MP2 was because a support tech said that it would "probably" fix a minor problem I was having, unfortunately it not only didn't fix the problem but caused more serious ...

  1. 6.0 MP2 = NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS

    Windows Server 2003 on 6.0MP2

    The only reason I installed MP2 was because a support tech said that it
    would "probably" fix a minor problem I was having, unfortunately it not only
    didn't fix the problem but caused more serious problems. These are some of
    the problems I am experiencing:

    *Get errors that media is in use when trying to do restores (gave me a
    workaround using nbrbutil)
    *When trying to duplicate images it queues up but never starts (same
    workaround, nbrbutil)
    *Policies and clients are being skipped without giving any errors or
    even attempting to try and backup (haven't heard back yet on a fix for
    this)
    *Catalog backups quit woking. Scheduled to start after each session of
    scheduled or manual backups, will work the way its supposed to for
    a few days and then stop, upon restarting the services (bpdown/bpup) it will
    start woking again??? (also waiting to hear back on this)

    Prior to installing MP2 I had non of these problems! Now I'm constantly
    having to monitor all my backups (catalog included) for fear that they won't
    kick-off. I'm hoping that MP3 will fix these problems and not cause others!
    MF

  2. Re: 6.0 MP2 = NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS

    I got the same issue : *Policies and clients are being skipped without giving
    any errors or
    even attempting to try and backup (haven't heard back yet on a fix
    for
    this)
    that make me crasy ...how can you sleep...we never know if backup will run
    or run..I still waiting an enginneer the call me back about this..

    "MikeF" wrote:
    >Windows Server 2003 on 6.0MP2
    >
    >The only reason I installed MP2 was because a support tech said that it

    >would "probably" fix a minor problem I was having, unfortunately it not

    only
    >didn't fix the problem but caused more serious problems. These are some

    of
    >the problems I am experiencing:
    >
    > *Get errors that media is in use when trying to do restores (gave me

    >workaround using nbrbutil)
    > *When trying to duplicate images it queues up but never starts (same

    >workaround, nbrbutil)
    > *Policies and clients are being skipped without giving any errors or

    >even attempting to try and backup (haven't heard back yet on a fix

    for
    >this)
    > *Catalog backups quit woking. Scheduled to start after each session

    of
    >scheduled or manual backups, will work the way its supposed to

    for
    >a few days and then stop, upon restarting the services (bpdown/bpup) it

    will
    >start woking again??? (also waiting to hear back on this)
    >
    >Prior to installing MP2 I had non of these problems! Now I'm constantly

    >having to monitor all my backups (catalog included) for fear that they won't

    >kick-off. I'm hoping that MP3 will fix these problems and not cause others!
    >MF

  3. Re: 6.0 MP2 = NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS

    I had the same issues when upgrading from NBup 5.1 to 6.0MP2. Here is the
    workaround Veritas gave me for policies that would not run during their scheduled
    window.

    Here are the steps for the workaround:

    1) Stop the Netbackup services on the master server.

    2) Remove the pempersist file in the \Netbackup\bin\bpsched.d directory.

    3) Start the Netbackup services on the master server.

    "MikeF" wrote:
    >Windows Server 2003 on 6.0MP2
    >
    >The only reason I installed MP2 was because a support tech said that it

    >would "probably" fix a minor problem I was having, unfortunately it not

    only
    >didn't fix the problem but caused more serious problems. These are some

    of
    >the problems I am experiencing:
    >
    > *Get errors that media is in use when trying to do restores (gave me

    >workaround using nbrbutil)
    > *When trying to duplicate images it queues up but never starts (same

    >workaround, nbrbutil)
    > *Policies and clients are being skipped without giving any errors or

    >even attempting to try and backup (haven't heard back yet on a fix

    for
    >this)
    > *Catalog backups quit woking. Scheduled to start after each session

    of
    >scheduled or manual backups, will work the way its supposed to

    for
    >a few days and then stop, upon restarting the services (bpdown/bpup) it

    will
    >start woking again??? (also waiting to hear back on this)
    >
    >Prior to installing MP2 I had non of these problems! Now I'm constantly

    >having to monitor all my backups (catalog included) for fear that they won't

    >kick-off. I'm hoping that MP3 will fix these problems and not cause others!
    >MF

  4. Re: 6.0 MP2 = NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS

    > *Policies and clients are being skipped without giving any errors or

    >even attempting to try and backup (haven't heard back yet on a fix

    for
    >this)

    This is a known bug in 6.0 MP2 and will be fixed in MP3, so I'm told. Happens
    if you are using checkpointed backups. One workaround:

    nbpem -terminate
    sleep 30
    nbpem

    I don't see any problem with restarting this, doesn't kill any jobs in progress
    or whatever.

    I was given a command - I forget it offhand - that showed some jobs as "active"
    even though they weren't, so the scheduler never even attempts to run them.

    > *Catalog backups quit woking. Scheduled to start after each session

    of
    >scheduled or manual backups, will work the way its supposed to

    for
    >a few days and then stop, upon restarting the services (bpdown/bpup) it

    will
    >start woking again??? (also waiting to hear back on this)

    Although this isn't the issue, you should look into hot backups if you're
    using v6.

  5. Re: 6.0 MP2 = NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS

    Here what veritas send me..i will try that..

    Symptoms: Backup jobs fail to start at scheduled times after having issues
    with the master server "hanging". Backup jobs can be initiated manually.

    Log Files: N/A

    The condition is created when the job state in the pempersist file is not
    correctly written.
    Example: If a job state was written as active, and NetBackup Policy Execution
    Manager (nbpem) was unexpectedly or accidentally stopped and restarted, the
    job would be listed as active but will never get a job complete. This job
    or jobs (if multiple jobs were active at the time of the shutdown) will never
    schedule because nbpem thinks they are already active as indicated in the
    pempersist file.
    The above result can occur when NetBackup is incorrectly shut down with active
    jobs.

    To prevent this issue, always use the appropriate NetBackup shutdown method,
    i.e. either stopping the individual services/daemons or using one of the
    stop scripts.
    This will prevent possible pempersist file problems with jobs written in
    an active state.

    Workaround:
    If a graceful shutdown and restart did not correct the problem, deletion
    of the pempersist file is required.
    1. Stop all NetBackup services on the master server and delete the pempersist
    file (found in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpsched.d directory on a UNIX/Linux
    master server, or in \veritas\netbackup\bin\bpsched.d directory
    on a Windows master server)

    Note: Ensure all NetBackup activity, e.g. backup, restore, duplication, etc
    is complete before stopping services.

    After installing NetBackup 6.0 MP1, the pempersist file may be located in
    the /usr/openv/netbackup/db/jobs directory on a UNIX/Linux master server,
    or the \veritas\netbackup\db\jobs directory on a Windows master
    server.

    CaseAuthKey=10B8BBEF

    This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
    may contain certain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized
    intended recipient, please contact the sender by e-mail and destroy all copies
    of the original message. Symantec and the Symantec logo are U.S. registered
    trademarks of Symantec Corporation. VERITAS is a trademark of Symantec Corporation.
    Other brands and products are trademarks of their respective holders. Copyright
    2006 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved.

    "Moe" wrote:

    >I had the same issues when upgrading from NBup 5.1 to 6.0MP2. Here is the
    >workaround Veritas gave me for policies that would not run during their

    scheduled
    >window.
    >
    >Here are the steps for the workaround:
    >
    >1) Stop the Netbackup services on the master server.
    >
    >2) Remove the pempersist file in the \Netbackup\bin\bpsched.d directory.
    >
    >3) Start the Netbackup services on the master server.
    >

    >"MikeF" wrote:
    >>Windows Server 2003 on 6.0MP2
    >>
    >>The only reason I installed MP2 was because a support tech said that it

    >>would "probably" fix a minor problem I was having, unfortunately it not

    >only
    >>didn't fix the problem but caused more serious problems. These are some

    >of
    >>the problems I am experiencing:
    >>
    >> *Get errors that media is in use when trying to do restores (gave me

    >>workaround using nbrbutil)
    >> *When trying to duplicate images it queues up but never starts (same

    >>workaround, nbrbutil)
    >> *Policies and clients are being skipped without giving any errors or

    >>even attempting to try and backup (haven't heard back yet on a fix

    >for
    >>this)
    >> *Catalog backups quit woking. Scheduled to start after each session

    >of
    >>scheduled or manual backups, will work the way its supposed to

    >for
    >>a few days and then stop, upon restarting the services (bpdown/bpup) it

    >will
    >>start woking again??? (also waiting to hear back on this)
    >>
    >>Prior to installing MP2 I had non of these problems! Now I'm constantly

    >>having to monitor all my backups (catalog included) for fear that they

    won't

    >>kick-off. I'm hoping that MP3 will fix these problems and not cause others!
    >>MF

  6. Re: 6.0 MP2 = NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS

    "Mike" wrote:

    >> *Policies and clients are being skipped without giving any errors or

    >>even attempting to try and backup (haven't heard back yet on a fix

    >for
    >>this)

    >This is a known bug in 6.0 MP2 and will be fixed in MP3, so I'm told. Happens
    >if you are using checkpointed backups. One workaround:
    >
    >nbpem -terminate
    >sleep 30
    >nbpem
    >
    >I don't see any problem with restarting this, doesn't kill any jobs in progress
    >or whatever.
    >
    >I was given a command - I forget it offhand - that showed some jobs as "active"
    >even though they weren't, so the scheduler never even attempts to run them.
    >
    >> *Catalog backups quit woking. Scheduled to start after each session

    >of
    >>scheduled or manual backups, will work the way its supposed to

    >for
    >>a few days and then stop, upon restarting the services (bpdown/bpup) it

    >will
    >>start woking again??? (also waiting to hear back on this)

    >Although this isn't the issue, you should look into hot backups if you're
    >using v6.

    I too am having lots of problems. I am now in the habit of if a job fails
    stop and restart netbackup. What a pain. I am experiencing lots of problems
    with Vaulting. Anyone else getting tape errors only with vaulting?

  7. Re: 6.0 MP2 = NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS

    You mentioned having problems with vault. What problems are you having?
    I too had problems with vault after upgrading to 6.0 MP2.

    "Irene Reed" wrote:

    >"Mike" wrote:
    >>

    >>> *Policies and clients are being skipped without giving any errors

    or

    >>>even attempting to try and backup (haven't heard back yet on a fix

    >>for
    >>>this)

    >>This is a known bug in 6.0 MP2 and will be fixed in MP3, so I'm told.

    Happens
    >>if you are using checkpointed backups. One workaround:
    >>
    >>nbpem -terminate
    >>sleep 30
    >>nbpem
    >>
    >>I don't see any problem with restarting this, doesn't kill any jobs in

    progress
    >>or whatever.
    >>
    >>I was given a command - I forget it offhand - that showed some jobs as

    "active"
    >>even though they weren't, so the scheduler never even attempts to run them.
    >>
    >>> *Catalog backups quit woking. Scheduled to start after each session

    >>of
    >>>scheduled or manual backups, will work the way its supposed

    >>for
    >>>a few days and then stop, upon restarting the services (bpdown/bpup) it

    >>will
    >>>start woking again??? (also waiting to hear back on this)

    >>Although this isn't the issue, you should look into hot backups if you're
    >>using v6.

    >I too am having lots of problems. I am now in the habit of if a job fails
    >stop and restart netbackup. What a pain. I am experiencing lots of problems
    >with Vaulting. Anyone else getting tape errors only with vaulting?

  8. Re: 6.0 MP2 = NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS

    You may be interested in this article which resolves issues with jobs not
    starting with no errors:

    Basically you have to stop all services on the master, delete the pempersist
    file and restart all services...we now make this a nightly task! MP3 is
    meant to solve this but I have no test results as yet....

    "Moe" wrote:

    >You mentioned having problems with vault. What problems are you having?

    >I too had problems with vault after upgrading to 6.0 MP2.

    >or

    fix
    >>>for
    >>>
    >>>This is a known bug in 6.0 MP2 and will be fixed in MP3, so I'm told.

    >Happens
    >>>if you are using checkpointed backups. One workaround:
    >>>
    >>>nbpem -terminate
    >>>sleep 30
    >>>nbpem
    >>>
    >>>I don't see any problem with restarting this, doesn't kill any jobs in

    >progress
    >>>or whatever.
    >>>
    >>>I was given a command - I forget it offhand - that showed some jobs as

    >"active"
    >>>even though they weren't, so the scheduler never even attempts to run

    them.

    >>>of

    >>>for

    it
    >>>will
    >>>
    >>>Although this isn't the issue, you should look into hot backups if you're
    >>>using v6.

    >>I too am having lots of problems. I am now in the habit of if a job fails
    >>stop and restart netbackup. What a pain. I am experiencing lots of problems
    >>with Vaulting. Anyone else getting tape errors only with vaulting?

  9. Re: 6.0 MP2 = NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS

    The problems I have with vault is the it holds on to tape definitions. I
    have to use nbrbutil -dump followed by nbrbutil -releaseMDS MDS#. Sometimes
    vaulting won't duplicate a job, but when I retry it it will. Strange stuff
    like that.
    "Moe" wrote:

    >You mentioned having problems with vault. What problems are you having?

    >I too had problems with vault after upgrading to 6.0 MP2.

    >or

    fix
    >>>for
    >>>
    >>>This is a known bug in 6.0 MP2 and will be fixed in MP3, so I'm told.

    >Happens
    >>>if you are using checkpointed backups. One workaround:
    >>>
    >>>nbpem -terminate
    >>>sleep 30
    >>>nbpem
    >>>
    >>>I don't see any problem with restarting this, doesn't kill any jobs in

    >progress
    >>>or whatever.
    >>>
    >>>I was given a command - I forget it offhand - that showed some jobs as

    >"active"
    >>>even though they weren't, so the scheduler never even attempts to run

    them.

    >>>of

    >>>for

    it
    >>>will
    >>>
    >>>Although this isn't the issue, you should look into hot backups if you're
    >>>using v6.

    >>I too am having lots of problems. I am now in the habit of if a job fails
    >>stop and restart netbackup. What a pain. I am experiencing lots of problems
    >>with Vaulting. Anyone else getting tape errors only with vaulting?

+ Reply to Thread