Backup from SAN - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Backup from SAN - Veritas Net Backup ; I am new to the Netbackup product and have been told that there is a way that it is possible to backup my SAN directly with out go across the LAN. I have searched to find information on this with ...

  1. Backup from SAN

    I am new to the Netbackup product and have been told that there is a way that
    it is possible to backup my SAN directly with out go across the LAN. I have
    searched to find information on this with no luck, is there anyone that can
    shed some light on this form me?

    My environment is:

    Netbackup 5.0 MP2 running on a Windows 2000 advanced server which is clustered.
    I have an IBM SAN and IBM 4560 tape library with 2 drives, 1 LTO and 1 SDLT.

    My main issue is speed, I am backing up approximately 185 gig of Lotus Notes
    data each night and it is taking close to 20 hours to do each day which is
    not acceptable as it impacts my users.

    If there is anyone that can assist with this it would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: Backup from SAN

    The solution you're looking for is called "SAN media server" in NetBackup
    terminology. But you'll need special NetBackup licenses first.

    Note that 185GB is not that much data. Having 1Gb ethernet betwen the NetBackup
    client and Server may be a cheaper solution with acceptable speed. Is it
    what you have? Do you saturate the LAN during the backup?

    "Keith" wrote:

    >I am new to the Netbackup product and have been told that there is a way

    that
    >it is possible to backup my SAN directly with out go across the LAN. I have
    >searched to find information on this with no luck, is there anyone that

    can
    >shed some light on this form me?
    >
    >My environment is:
    >
    >Netbackup 5.0 MP2 running on a Windows 2000 advanced server which is clustered.
    >I have an IBM SAN and IBM 4560 tape library with 2 drives, 1 LTO and 1 SDLT.
    >

    >My main issue is speed, I am backing up approximately 185 gig of Lotus Notes
    >data each night and it is taking close to 20 hours to do each day which

    is
    >not acceptable as it impacts my users.
    >
    >If there is anyone that can assist with this it would be greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread