More than a gig on a 400-800 Tape - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on More than a gig on a 400-800 Tape - Veritas Net Backup ; Has anyone else ever seen this? Is it faulty media, hardware or software? Or is it posible that certain files can be compressed so much that it can store more than a 1GB of data....

  1. More than a gig on a 400-800 Tape

    Has anyone else ever seen this? Is it faulty media, hardware or software?
    Or is it posible that certain files can be compressed so much that it can
    store more than a 1GB of data.

  2. Re: More than a gig on a 400-800 Tape

    Hello,
    Yes if you backup database like Oracle ^^
    Regards,

    Shaun avait écrit le 08.06.2006 :
    > Has anyone else ever seen this? Is it faulty media, hardware or software?
    > Or is it posible that certain files can be compressed so much that it can
    > store more than a 1GB of data.

  3. Re: More than a gig on a 400-800 Tape

    Shaun wrote, in part, on 6/8/2006 3:42 AM:
    > Has anyone else ever seen this? Is it faulty media, hardware or software?
    > Or is it posible that certain files can be compressed so much that it can
    > store more than a 1GB of data.

    Your tape drive vendor is making an estimate when it tells you about the
    "800" portion of your "400-800" tape drive. I've seen (a mostly empty
    DB) of 1GB be stored on a 100M tape! This is good, is it not?
    Unfortunately, if you have some already compressed or encrypted data,
    chances are that not much more than 400 will fit on a tape.

    Is it faulty? No, what you've described is to be expected. When you
    restore the contents, do you get the same data restored as was backed
    up? When you answer that, you know the answer to "Is it faulty?"!

    cheers, wayne

  4. Re: More than a gig on a 400-800 Tape

    NetBackup reports the tape size in KB, so just over one million would be 1GB
    just one billion is 1TB.

    Data compression at greater than 2.5:1 is possible when you are backing up
    empty data files or other highly compressible data type.

    "Shaun" wrote:

    >Has anyone else ever seen this? Is it faulty media, hardware or software?
    >Or is it posible that certain files can be compressed so much that it can
    >store more than a 1GB of data.

+ Reply to Thread