Suspended media - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Suspended media - Veritas Net Backup ; I am confused about suspended media and would appreciate if someone could shed some light on the subject. Is it normal to have lots of tapes in suspended mode? Also, if the retention is infinity and the tape is suspended ...

  1. Suspended media

    I am confused about suspended media and would appreciate if someone could
    shed some light on the subject. Is it normal to have lots of tapes in suspended
    mode? Also, if the retention is infinity and the tape is suspended will it
    ever become unsuspended, or is that by design for infinity images?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Suspended media

    Hi,

    Have u configured vaulting in netbackup? The vaulting changes the status
    of offsite media to suspended til they expire

    For tapes with infinite retention I do not think the tape status will change
    from suspended ..

    yogesh

    LeeV" wrote:

    >I am confused about suspended media and would appreciate if someone could
    >shed some light on the subject. Is it normal to have lots of tapes in suspended
    >mode? Also, if the retention is infinity and the tape is suspended will

    it
    >ever become unsuspended, or is that by design for infinity images?
    >Thanks.

  3. Re: Suspended media

    "LeeV" wrote:

    >I am confused about suspended media and would appreciate if someone could
    >shed some light on the subject. Is it normal to have lots of tapes in suspended
    >mode? Also, if the retention is infinity and the tape is suspended will

    it
    >ever become unsuspended, or is that by design for infinity images?
    >Thanks.

    Lee,

    No, it is not normal. I guess you'll have to start tracking the tapes
    that get suspended and what jobs they were working on when it happened.

    The status [suspended] and the retention [infinity] are independent of each
    other. By way of explanation, if I have a FROZEN tape with images set to
    expire on 12/31/06 and that date comes and goes, the images will still be
    there until the tape is unfrozen. I suspect that it's the same with a suspended
    tape.

    Scott

  4. Re: Suspended media

    "yogesh" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Have u configured vaulting in netbackup? The vaulting changes the status
    >of offsite media to suspended til they expire

    That's not what happens at my site: my vault tapes have a normal expiration
    date and the status field is empty.

    >For tapes with infinite retention I do not think the tape status will change
    >from suspended ..
    >
    >yogesh
    >
    >LeeV" wrote:
    >>
    >>I am confused about suspended media and would appreciate if someone could
    >>shed some light on the subject. Is it normal to have lots of tapes in suspended
    >>mode? Also, if the retention is infinity and the tape is suspended will

    >it
    >>ever become unsuspended, or is that by design for infinity images?
    >>Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread