Archival Bit - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Archival Bit - Veritas Net Backup ; If I want to run a Full backup job on a server but I don't want the Archival Bit to change. What should I do?...

  1. Archival Bit

    If I want to run a Full backup job on a server but I don't want the Archival
    Bit to change. What should I do?

  2. Re: Archival Bit

    What platform are you wanting to run the full backup against?

    "Marc Thibodeau" wrote:

    >If I want to run a Full backup job on a server but I don't want the Archival
    >Bit to change. What should I do?

  3. Re: Archival Bit

    Windows 2000/2003 servers.

    "Bill" wrote:

    >What platform are you wanting to run the full backup against?
    >

    >"Marc Thibodeau" wrote:
    >>
    >>If I want to run a Full backup job on a server but I don't want the Archival
    >>Bit to change. What should I do?

  4. Re: Archival Bit

    There is a setting in the registry to turn the archive bit to yes or no. If
    you tell it no, then it will back up based on time and date stamp. If set
    to yes, it will back up based upon whether or not the bit was reset or not.
    Meaning if you have a backup that ends in an open file it will not reset
    the bit and your incremental backups will in essence become cumulative every
    day until a backup ends in a return code of 0 or no open files.

    "Marc Thibodeau" wrote:

    >Windows 2000/2003 servers.
    >
    >"Bill" wrote:
    >>
    >>What platform are you wanting to run the full backup against?
    >>

    >>"Marc Thibodeau" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>If I want to run a Full backup job on a server but I don't want the Archival
    >>>Bit to change. What should I do?

  5. Re: Archival Bit

    Thank you for the information. But let me give you a senario...

    I ran my scheduled full backup and was sent out off site for storage. I need
    to build a clone server from Tape backup. I don't want to get the tape off
    site because of the time it will take. I decide to run a new Full backup
    of the server but I don't want the Archive bit to be reset because I run
    Diff. during the week and It will affect them. How can a run the full backup
    without the archival bit being reset.

    Marc

    "Bill" wrote:

    >There is a setting in the registry to turn the archive bit to yes or no.

    If
    >you tell it no, then it will back up based on time and date stamp. If set
    >to yes, it will back up based upon whether or not the bit was reset or not.
    >Meaning if you have a backup that ends in an open file it will not reset
    >the bit and your incremental backups will in essence become cumulative every
    >day until a backup ends in a return code of 0 or no open files.
    >
    >"Marc Thibodeau" wrote:
    >>
    >>Windows 2000/2003 servers.
    >>
    >>"Bill" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>What platform are you wanting to run the full backup against?

  6. Re: Archival Bit

    just turn it off thorugh the registry.

    "Marc Thibodeau" wrote:

    >Thank you for the information. But let me give you a senario...
    >
    >I ran my scheduled full backup and was sent out off site for storage. I

    need
    >to build a clone server from Tape backup. I don't want to get the tape off
    >site because of the time it will take. I decide to run a new Full backup
    >of the server but I don't want the Archive bit to be reset because I run
    >Diff. during the week and It will affect them. How can a run the full backup
    >without the archival bit being reset.
    >
    >Marc
    >
    >"Bill" wrote:
    >>
    >>There is a setting in the registry to turn the archive bit to yes or no.

    >If
    >>you tell it no, then it will back up based on time and date stamp. If set
    >>to yes, it will back up based upon whether or not the bit was reset or

    not.
    >>Meaning if you have a backup that ends in an open file it will not reset
    >>the bit and your incremental backups will in essence become cumulative

    every
    >>day until a backup ends in a return code of 0 or no open files.
    >>
    >>"Marc Thibodeau" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Windows 2000/2003 servers.

    Archival

  7. Re: Archival Bit

    "Marc Thibodeau" wrote:

    >If I want to run a Full backup job on a server but I don't want the Archival
    >Bit to change. What should I do?

    Look up "archive bit" in the index of your NetBackup System Administrator's
    Guide, Volume I. Familiarize yourself on how to do this *and the implications
    of doing so.*

+ Reply to Thread