Exclude lists - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Exclude lists - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello, I have a problem that we have a policy for a filesystem which contains a large number of files with a differential backup and it fails with status 41 (network connection timed out) I tried first to increase the ...

  1. Exclude lists

    Hello,

    I have a problem that we have a policy for a filesystem which contains a
    large number of files with a differential backup and it fails with status
    41 (network connection timed out) I tried first to increase the CLIENT_READ_TIMEOUT
    to 1800 and it worked for some time then failed again with the same error.
    I got a list of directories (which contain the largest number of files) to
    exclude from the backup with exclude lists. I created the file exclude_list.POLICY-NAME
    in the path /usr/openv/netbackup including these directories like:
    /dir1/*
    /dir2/*
    and I got the same error again. I think the exclude list didn't work and
    I am asking for any way to trace or monitor its work or any other suggested
    solution for my problem.

    our netbackup version is netbackup enterprise server 5.1 and our master &
    client is HP-UX 11.11.

    Thanks,
    Mohamed Wahdan

  2. Re: Exclude lists

    You're best bet will be to activate bpbkar(on the client side) logging on
    the master server + whatever clients. Set verbose to level 5. shut down
    this logging( the next day) to avoid filling up your disk drive(s).
    Whatever issue you're having should be discovered in the bpbkar log.
    This is a good method which will get you going in the right direction.

    &
    >client is HP-UX 11.11.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Mohamed Wahdan

  3. Re: Exclude lists

    Yeah we've had this. If your include list is set to ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES then
    try
    removing the * wildcard from the exclude list as if memory serves then adding
    the * invites the media server to search the filesystems.
    i.e.
    /dir1

    "Durane" wrote:

    >You're best bet will be to activate bpbkar(on the client side) logging on
    >the master server + whatever clients. Set verbose to level 5. shut down
    >this logging( the next day) to avoid filling up your disk drive(s).
    >Whatever issue you're having should be discovered in the bpbkar log.
    >This is a good method which will get you going in the right direction.
    >
    >"Mohamed Wahdan" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I have a problem that we have a policy for a filesystem which contains

    >>large number of files with a differential backup and it fails with status
    >>41 (network connection timed out) I tried first to increase the CLIENT_READ_TIMEOUT
    >>to 1800 and it worked for some time then failed again with the same error.
    >>I got a list of directories (which contain the largest number of files)

    >>exclude from the backup with exclude lists. I created the file exclude_list.POLICY-NAME
    >>in the path /usr/openv/netbackup including these directories like:
    >>/dir1/*
    >>/dir2/*
    >>and I got the same error again. I think the exclude list didn't work and
    >>I am asking for any way to trace or monitor its work or any other suggested
    >>solution for my problem.
    >>
    >>our netbackup version is netbackup enterprise server 5.1 and our master

    >&
    >>client is HP-UX 11.11.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Mohamed Wahdan