Status 54 - gethostbyaddr failure - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Status 54 - gethostbyaddr failure - Veritas Net Backup ; I've got a NB client machine (AIX) with two NIC's, a 100mbps that's use for application traffic, and a 1000mbps that I want ultimately to use exclusively for backups. My server is also AIX, and both are running NB 5.1. ...

  1. Status 54 - gethostbyaddr failure

    I've got a NB client machine (AIX) with two NIC's, a 100mbps that's use for application traffic, and a 1000mbps that I want ultimately to use exclusively for backups. My server is also AIX, and both are running NB 5.1. Currently, I have the backup working, but it's running over the 100mb NIC. When I try to run it over the gig NIC, it fails with a status 54 (To switch over, I changed the client name on the master, and also the server and client names in the bp.conf file on the client). Following the Veritas troubleshooting guide, if I telnet from the master to the client on port bpcd, I get "gethostbyaddr: Error 0". I know it's something with reverse DNS resolution, but I don't know what. FWIW, the master is using DNS for name resolution, and the client is not (I've double and triple-checked the /etc/hosts files on both machines). Another clue in the mix is that the gig segment is not routeable to/from anything else in the network (it's a stand-alone switch, intended just for backups).

    What might I be missing in this setup?

  2. Re: Status 54 - gethostbyaddr failure

    Robert,

    Instead of switching names on the NICs, why not just use 2 different names?
    At my site, we have a similar setup of one network for normal traffic and
    one dedicated for backup. The normal name is "server" and the backup name
    is "server-bak". Both exist in DNS. This might simplify things.

    If, for whatever reason, you have to pursue your configuration, I would start
    with looking at the client: can you do an nslookup on both the master's
    name and IP? If this fails, the backup will fail.

    I have an idea as to why it might fail: even though my backups take place
    over the "-bak" network, the AUTHENTICATION portion travels over the front-end.
    In one case, a box in another network was failing similarly to yours and
    it was because even though I could talk to the "-bak" NIC on the box, the
    authentication was going out over the front-end which wasn't talking to the
    same DNS server as my regular clients. Once the other DNS server was updated,
    the backup started working [because the reverse lookup now worked]. See
    if that resolves your issue.

    Scott

    =
    >for application traffic, and a 1000mbps that I want ultimately to use =
    >exclusively for backups. My server is also AIX, and both are running NB

    =
    >5.1. Currently, I have the backup working, but it's running over the =
    >100mb NIC. When I try to run it over the gig NIC, it fails with a status

    =
    >54 (To switch over, I changed the client name on the master, and also the

    =
    >server and client names in the bp.conf file on the client). Following the

    =
    >Veritas troubleshooting guide, if I telnet from the master to the client

    =
    >on port bpcd, I get "gethostbyaddr: Error 0". I know it's something with

    =
    >reverse DNS resolution, but I don't know what. FWIW, the master is =
    >using DNS for name resolution, and the client is not (I've double and =
    >triple-checked the /etc/hosts files on both machines). Another clue in

    =
    >the mix is that the gig segment is not routeable to/from anything else in

    =
    >the network (it's a stand-alone switch, intended just for backups).
    >
    >What might I be missing in this setup?

  3. Re: Status 54 - gethostbyaddr failure

    That's exactly what I have - two NIC's, each with a different name. What I meant by "switching" was that I was changing the bp.conf file on the client, and the backup profile on the master, to use the name of the gigE NIC. And yes, both names are in DNS.

    But I think I know what the problem is - the client is NOT using DNS for name resolution - using /etc/hosts only. While I do have the appropriate entries there, if I do an nslookup from command line, it asks me for a server, so I suspect whatever mechanism is doing the reverse lookup is NOT going to the /etc/hosts file, but rather trying the same route as an nslookup, and, as-expected, is failing.

    I'm trying to get my app people to let me configure DNS on this server. The application guy is scared to death of DNS - I don't know why, I think it's because he doesn't really understand it. It's an interface engine, and I suspect he has ALL of his interfaces configured to use hard-coded IP addresses.

    I would consider just doing it w/o telling him, but if ANYTHING goes wrong, I'll catch it for sure.

    I'll post back here if that fixes the problem, or of I turn up anything else.

    "Robert MacNutt" wrote:

    >I've got a NB client machine (AIX) with two NIC's, a 100mbps that's use

    =
    >for application traffic, and a 1000mbps that I want ultimately to use =
    >exclusively for backups. My server is also AIX, and both are running NB

    =
    >5.1. Currently, I have the backup working, but it's running over the =
    >100mb NIC. When I try to run it over the gig NIC, it fails with a status

    =
    >54 (To switch over, I changed the client name on the master, and also the

    =
    >server and client names in the bp.conf file on the client). Following the

    =
    >Veritas troubleshooting guide, if I telnet from the master to the client

    =
    >on port bpcd, I get "gethostbyaddr: Error 0". I know it's something with

    =
    >reverse DNS resolution, but I don't know what. FWIW, the master is =
    >using DNS for name resolution, and the client is not (I've double and =
    >triple-checked the /etc/hosts files on both machines). Another clue in

    =
    >the mix is that the gig segment is not routeable to/from anything else in

    =
    >the network (it's a stand-alone switch, intended just for backups).
    >
    >What might I be missing in this setup?

+ Reply to Thread