Find which unused expired tape still has a certain backup - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Find which unused expired tape still has a certain backup - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, I'm looking for a way to find out which expired tape has a certain backup on it that I would like to recover. I don't know which expired tape could possibly have it so I can wonder about the ...

  1. Find which unused expired tape still has a certain backup

    Hi,

    I'm looking for a way to find out which expired tape has a certain backup
    on it that I would like to recover. I don't know which expired tape could
    possibly have it so I can wonder about the next step of actually recovering
    from an expired tape.
    appreciate any help.

  2. Re: Find which unused expired tape still has a certain backup

    Well if you have a regular backup (not a catalog backup) of the netbackup\db\
    directory simply recover that to another location (DON'T restore it over
    the active catalog!) and then review the header files.

    The header files are the files in the netbackup\db\\11xx000000
    directories without the '.f' on them. It contains statistics about the backup
    like the kbytes, expiration, client type, number of files, etc.

    You'll want to take a look at the "FRAG" lines near the bottom. There is
    a field in those lines that is labled "path/id" - that will be your media
    id used to backup or if a dsu will be the location fo the file.

    Oh and if you need to convert the dates in the names of the file (the 10
    digit ctime numbers) on the master server you can run netbackup\bin\bpdbm
    -ctime <10-digit-number> to convert it to human readable format which might
    help you get the correct date range of files to review. Those ten digit
    numbers are also the 11xx000000 number I refered to earlier - which might
    help you isolate which folder to look in.

    That's about the only way that I know of to easily [tounge in cheek] get
    the information you need outside of running a phase 1 import on media and
    hope you get the right one...

    Deb

    "Osama Salah" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm looking for a way to find out which expired tape has a certain backup
    >on it that I would like to recover. I don't know which expired tape could
    >possibly have it so I can wonder about the next step of actually recovering
    >from an expired tape.
    >appreciate any help.

  3. Re: Find which unused expired tape still has a certain backup

    Osama,

    I guess it depends on how many expired tapes you have to go through. If
    not too many, you could just import them in the Catalog section of the Admin
    Console.

    If this is impratical, how about going back to the timeframe where you know
    the image was written, restore the bpbrm and bptm logs of the media server
    where it was written, and go through the logs to figure out the tape#?

    Scott

    "Osama Salah" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm looking for a way to find out which expired tape has a certain backup
    >on it that I would like to recover. I don't know which expired tape could
    >possibly have it so I can wonder about the next step of actually recovering
    >from an expired tape.
    >appreciate any help.

+ Reply to Thread