Media Expiration - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Media Expiration - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, I have questions regarding the expiration of tape media. Maybe someone can answer them with similar experience before. The master server is running NBU51-MP3, the tape library containing 36 LTO3 tape slots. My questions are 1. when the tape ...

  1. Media Expiration

    Hi,

    I have questions regarding the expiration of tape media. Maybe someone can
    answer them with similar experience before.

    The master server is running NBU51-MP3, the tape library containing 36 LTO3
    tape slots.
    My questions are
    1. when the tape media expired it's retension, will the tape be re-used
    automatically when the routine backup needs a new tape or will the system
    get a new scratch pool tape, I want to know should I swap the "full" tape
    out of tape library and put more new tape to the library or should I just
    leave them on the tape library(for easy restore, in case) to be re-used when
    it reaches expiration date, say 2 months?

    2. If the tape will be re-used automatically, will it be used as same pool
    name?
    should I manually do bpexpdate and rename the pool to scratch pool?

    3. If the expiration date has been passed and it has not been reused, i.e.
    say 5/10/06, can the image in that tape media still be able to restore?

    Thanks in advance.

    -bck

  2. Re: Media Expiration

    when you have scratch pool in your configuration and backups are expired
    netbackup will move tape automaticly to scratch pool. this tape can be
    used in backups in all volume pools, not only in original volume pool.
    if backups are expired but you have moved tape ou of libraryy - you can
    restore data but at the begining you have to import tape.

    marekk

    backup napisał(a):
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have questions regarding the expiration of tape media. Maybe someone can
    > answer them with similar experience before.
    >
    > The master server is running NBU51-MP3, the tape library containing 36 LTO3
    > tape slots.
    > My questions are
    > 1. when the tape media expired it's retension, will the tape be re-used
    > automatically when the routine backup needs a new tape or will the system
    > get a new scratch pool tape, I want to know should I swap the "full" tape
    > out of tape library and put more new tape to the library or should I just
    > leave them on the tape library(for easy restore, in case) to be re-used when
    > it reaches expiration date, say 2 months?
    >
    > 2. If the tape will be re-used automatically, will it be used as same pool
    > name?
    > should I manually do bpexpdate and rename the pool to scratch pool?
    >
    > 3. If the expiration date has been passed and it has not been reused, i.e.
    > say 5/10/06, can the image in that tape media still be able to restore?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -bck

  3. Re: Media Expiration

    Hi,

    1&2. I find that after expiry the tape should go back the the scratch pool
    ready for use after the image has expired.

    3. Yes providing the tapes images haven't been overwritten you can, but you'll
    need to re import them into the catalog.

    "backup" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have questions regarding the expiration of tape media. Maybe someone

    can
    >answer them with similar experience before.
    >
    >The master server is running NBU51-MP3, the tape library containing 36 LTO3
    >tape slots.
    >My questions are
    >1. when the tape media expired it's retension, will the tape be re-used
    >automatically when the routine backup needs a new tape or will the system
    >get a new scratch pool tape, I want to know should I swap the "full" tape
    >out of tape library and put more new tape to the library or should I just
    >leave them on the tape library(for easy restore, in case) to be re-used

    when
    >it reaches expiration date, say 2 months?
    >
    >2. If the tape will be re-used automatically, will it be used as same pool
    >name?
    >should I manually do bpexpdate and rename the pool to scratch pool?
    >
    >3. If the expiration date has been passed and it has not been reused, i.e.
    >say 5/10/06, can the image in that tape media still be able to restore?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >-bck

  4. Re: Media Expiration

    The fact is, vmquery -m says "volume pool" is Scratch, but The
    Media and Device Management ->Media->Volume Pool->Scratch does not include
    this media id. But it does list under it's original pool name, ie. weekly.
    And I noticed when the system asks for a new tape, it picks up the real
    Scratch tape, not the expired (re-usable) tape. Do I need to manually change
    the pool name to Scratch?
    (I prefer not to)?

    "Daniel" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >1&2. I find that after expiry the tape should go back the the scratch pool
    >ready for use after the image has expired.
    >
    >3. Yes providing the tapes images haven't been overwritten you can, but

    you'll
    >need to re import them into the catalog.
    >
    >"backup" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have questions regarding the expiration of tape media. Maybe someone

    >can
    >>answer them with similar experience before.
    >>
    >>The master server is running NBU51-MP3, the tape library containing 36

    LTO3
    >>tape slots.
    >>My questions are
    >>1. when the tape media expired it's retension, will the tape be re-used
    >>automatically when the routine backup needs a new tape or will the system
    >>get a new scratch pool tape, I want to know should I swap the "full" tape
    >>out of tape library and put more new tape to the library or should I just
    >>leave them on the tape library(for easy restore, in case) to be re-used

    >when
    >>it reaches expiration date, say 2 months?
    >>
    >>2. If the tape will be re-used automatically, will it be used as same

    pool
    >>name?
    >>should I manually do bpexpdate and rename the pool to scratch pool?
    >>
    >>3. If the expiration date has been passed and it has not been reused, i.e.
    >>say 5/10/06, can the image in that tape media still be able to restore?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >>-bck

  5. Re: Media Expiration

    hmm right - firstly has scratch pool been setup correctly? :

    /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf :
    SCRATCH_POOL = SCRATCH

    As a scratch pool should have multiple tapes to operate efficiently I suggest
    you
    temporarily move all but one scratch tape to a temporary pool. Create a
    pool with
    no media in and assign it to a ADHOC policy and run a backup of a client
    (making
    sure only to use 1 scratch tape. Finger crossed your scratch tape should
    move
    to your new pool. Expire the image and then see what happens to tape. In
    theory
    it should return to the scratch pool ready for another volume pool to use
    if
    required. Then run another backup. It should take the tape again. If it doesn't
    then
    maybe there is something wrong with the scratch pool settings and then you'd

    need to ring Symantic.

    Hope this helps

    "backup" wrote:

    >The fact is, vmquery -m says "volume pool" is Scratch, but The
    >Media and Device Management ->Media->Volume Pool->Scratch does not include
    >this media id. But it does list under it's original pool name, ie. weekly.
    > And I noticed when the system asks for a new tape, it picks up the real
    >Scratch tape, not the expired (re-usable) tape. Do I need to manually change
    >the pool name to Scratch?
    >(I prefer not to)?
    >
    >"Daniel" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>1&2. I find that after expiry the tape should go back the the scratch

    pool
    >>ready for use after the image has expired.
    >>
    >>3. Yes providing the tapes images haven't been overwritten you can, but

    >you'll
    >>need to re import them into the catalog.
    >>
    >>"backup" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I have questions regarding the expiration of tape media. Maybe someone

    >>can
    >>>answer them with similar experience before.
    >>>
    >>>The master server is running NBU51-MP3, the tape library containing 36

    >LTO3
    >>>tape slots.
    >>>My questions are
    >>>1. when the tape media expired it's retension, will the tape be re-used
    >>>automatically when the routine backup needs a new tape or will the system
    >>>get a new scratch pool tape, I want to know should I swap the "full" tape
    >>>out of tape library and put more new tape to the library or should I just
    >>>leave them on the tape library(for easy restore, in case) to be re-used

    >>when
    >>>it reaches expiration date, say 2 months?
    >>>
    >>>2. If the tape will be re-used automatically, will it be used as same

    >pool
    >>>name?
    >>>should I manually do bpexpdate and rename the pool to scratch pool?
    >>>
    >>>3. If the expiration date has been passed and it has not been reused,

    i.e.
    >>>say 5/10/06, can the image in that tape media still be able to restore?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>>-bck

+ Reply to Thread