About cold catalog backup. - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on About cold catalog backup. - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello, I'm not seeing the volumes used on cold catalog backup. How to list them please? How to verify its contents, please? TIA, Vinicius....

  1. About cold catalog backup.

    Hello,

    I'm not seeing the volumes used on cold catalog backup. How to list them
    please? How to verify its contents, please?

    TIA,
    Vinicius.

  2. Re: About cold catalog backup.

    Vinicius wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm not seeing the volumes used on cold catalog backup. How to list them

    > please? How to verify its contents, please?

    What does "not seeing" mean? The volumes have to be in the NetBackup pool
    for you to be able to select them in the cold catalog setup GUI.

    Read the man page for bprecover. The -l (list) option will show the contents.

  3. Re: About cold catalog backup.

    richard escreveu:
    > Vinicius wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I'm not seeing the volumes used on cold catalog backup. How to list them

    >> please? How to verify its contents, please?

    > What does "not seeing" mean? The volumes have to be in the NetBackup pool
    > for you to be able to select them in the cold catalog setup GUI.
    >
    > Read the man page for bprecover. The -l (list) option will show the contents.

    Hello,

    The script available_media.cmd from
    install_path\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\goodies\ is showing several volumes
    where the field 'status' has the value "dbbackup". The EMM Database
    doesn't shows these volumes. How to manipulate them, please?

    TIA,
    Vinicius.

  4. Re: About cold catalog backup.

    richard escreveu:
    > Vinicius wrote:
    >> richard escreveu:

    >>> What does "not seeing" mean? The volumes have to be in the NetBackup

    > pool
    >>> for you to be able to select them in the cold catalog setup GUI.
    >>>
    >>> Read the man page for bprecover. The -l (list) option will show the contents.

    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> The script available_media.cmd from
    >> install_path\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\goodies\ is showing several volumes
    >> where the field 'status' has the value "dbbackup". The EMM Database
    >> doesn't shows these volumes. How to manipulate them, please?

    > Vinicius, please explain what you are trying to do. If the tapes are, or
    > have been, cold catalog tapes, that's how available_media should show them.
    >

    > bpsyncinfo or the catalog tab of the GUI will display them or let you change
    > them if they are used in your cold catalog backup.
    >
    > bplabel will wipe them out if you want to use them for NetBackup data tapes.
    >
    > bprecover will show the contents or recover your system from them.

    I think "GENERAL ERROR: The available_media script incorrectly lists a
    volume's status as DBBACKUP, and script execution time is slow when many
    tapes exist in the mediaDB."
    (http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199300.htm) and "Re: DBBACKUP
    status appearing spontaneously"
    (http://www.eng.auburn.edu/pub/mail-l.../msg00033.html)
    explains something about what's going on.

    TIA,
    Vinicius.

  5. Re: About cold catalog backup.

    Vinicius wrote:
    >richard escreveu:
    >> Vinicius wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I'm not seeing the volumes used on cold catalog backup. How to list them

    >>> please? How to verify its contents, please?

    >> What does "not seeing" mean? The volumes have to be in the NetBackup

    pool
    >> for you to be able to select them in the cold catalog setup GUI.
    >>
    >> Read the man page for bprecover. The -l (list) option will show the contents.

    >Hello,
    >
    >The script available_media.cmd from
    >install_path\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\goodies\ is showing several volumes
    >where the field 'status' has the value "dbbackup". The EMM Database
    >doesn't shows these volumes. How to manipulate them, please?

    Vinicius, please explain what you are trying to do. If the tapes are, or
    have been, cold catalog tapes, that's how available_media should show them.

    bpsyncinfo or the catalog tab of the GUI will display them or let you change
    them if they are used in your cold catalog backup.

    bplabel will wipe them out if you want to use them for NetBackup data tapes.

    bprecover will show the contents or recover your system from them.

  6. Re: About cold catalog backup.

    Vinicius wrote:
    >richard escreveu:
    >> Vinicius wrote:

    them

    >> pool

    contents.
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> The script available_media.cmd from
    >>> install_path\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\goodies\ is showing several volumes
    >>> where the field 'status' has the value "dbbackup". The EMM Database
    >>> doesn't shows these volumes. How to manipulate them, please?

    >> Vinicius, please explain what you are trying to do. If the tapes are,

    or
    >> have been, cold catalog tapes, that's how available_media should show

    them.

    >> bpsyncinfo or the catalog tab of the GUI will display them or let you

    change
    >> them if they are used in your cold catalog backup.
    >>
    >> bplabel will wipe them out if you want to use them for NetBackup data

    tapes.

    >> bprecover will show the contents or recover your system from them.

    >I think "GENERAL ERROR: The available_media script incorrectly lists a
    >volume's status as DBBACKUP, and script execution time is slow when many

    >tapes exist in the mediaDB."
    >(http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199300.htm) and "Re: DBBACKUP
    >status appearing spontaneously"
    >(http://www.eng.auburn.edu/pub/mail-l.../msg00033.html)

    >explains something about what's going on.
    >

    >TIA,
    >Vinicius.

    Besides that, the EMM database doesn't see the volumes, but the application
    database does. By the command "Change Volume" I can change the expiration
    date, but by the command bpexpdate, it says the "media was not found in the
    EMM database".

    I think there is some inconsistence between the application database and
    the volume database. How I can sincronize them, please?

    I tryed to de-assign by the command vmquery, but it says "...de-assign by
    media ID is not allowed for NetBackup media".

    TIA,
    Vinicius.

  7. Re: About cold catalog backup.

    "Vinicius" wrote:

    >Vinicius wrote:
    >>richard escreveu:

    >them
    >>> pool

    >contents.

    >>> Vinicius, please explain what you are trying to do. If the tapes are,

    >or
    >>> have been, cold catalog tapes, that's how available_media should show

    >them.
    >>>

    >>> bpsyncinfo or the catalog tab of the GUI will display them or let you

    >change
    >>> them if they are used in your cold catalog backup.
    >>>
    >>> bplabel will wipe them out if you want to use them for NetBackup data

    >tapes.
    >>>
    >>> bprecover will show the contents or recover your system from them.

    >>I think "GENERAL ERROR: The available_media script incorrectly lists a

    >>volume's status as DBBACKUP, and script execution time is slow when many

    >>tapes exist in the mediaDB."
    >>(http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199300.htm) and "Re: DBBACKUP
    >>status appearing spontaneously"
    >>(http://www.eng.auburn.edu/pub/mail-l.../msg00033.html)

    >>explains something about what's going on.
    >>

    >>TIA,
    >>Vinicius.

    >Besides that, the EMM database doesn't see the volumes, but the application
    >database does. By the command "Change Volume" I can change the expiration
    >date, but by the command bpexpdate, it says the "media was not found in

    the
    >EMM database".
    >
    >I think there is some inconsistence between the application database and
    >the volume database. How I can sincronize them, please?
    >
    >I tryed to de-assign by the command vmquery, but it says "...de-assign by
    >media ID is not allowed for NetBackup media".
    >

    >TIA,
    >Vinicius.

    Where is said "...How I can..." means "How can I...".

  8. Re: About cold catalog backup.

    "Vinicius" wrote:

    >"Vinicius" wrote:
    >>
    >>Vinicius wrote:

    >>them

    >>contents.

    >>or

    >>them.

    >>change

    >>tapes.

    >>>I think "GENERAL ERROR: The available_media script incorrectly lists a

    >>>volume's status as DBBACKUP, and script execution time is slow when many

    >>>tapes exist in the mediaDB."
    >>>(http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199300.htm) and "Re: DBBACKUP
    >>>status appearing spontaneously"
    >>>(http://www.eng.auburn.edu/pub/mail-l.../msg00033.html)

    >>>explains something about what's going on.
    >>>

    >>>TIA,
    >>>Vinicius.

    >>Besides that, the EMM database doesn't see the volumes, but the application
    >>database does. By the command "Change Volume" I can change the expiration
    >>date, but by the command bpexpdate, it says the "media was not found in

    >the
    >>EMM database".
    >>
    >>I think there is some inconsistence between the application database and
    >>the volume database. How I can sincronize them, please?
    >>
    >>I tryed to de-assign by the command vmquery, but it says "...de-assign

    by
    >>media ID is not allowed for NetBackup media".
    >>

    >>TIA,
    >>Vinicius.

    >Where is said "...How I can..." means "How can I...".

    Suggest you open a support call and/or engage Symantec Consulting--whether
    it's a fault in NetBackup or things you have done, you databases are likely
    to be far more screwed up than anyone can fix here. Especially since you're
    running version 6, and there isn't anywhere near as much user knowledge about
    version 6 databases and how to fix them as there was about earlier versions.

+ Reply to Thread