bpstart_notify - ignoring calls to external batch files - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on bpstart_notify - ignoring calls to external batch files - Veritas Net Backup ; As above, we are currently having issues with enabling bpstart_notify calling an external batch file we have created. Bpstart successfully runs a preceeding VB script, but fails to run a CLUI command post this VB script. (CLUI is the command ...

  1. bpstart_notify - ignoring calls to external batch files

    As above, we are currently having issues with enabling bpstart_notify calling
    an external batch file we have created. Bpstart successfully runs a preceeding
    VB script, but fails to run a CLUI command post this VB script. (CLUI is
    the command line interface into HP's Replication Solution Manager). Has any
    one had any similar problems of NetBackup skipping actions within BPSTART_NOTIFY?

    Regards,

    Mathew

  2. Re: bpstart_notify - ignoring calls to external batch files

    do you have absolute path to clui command in your vb script ?

    marekk

    Mathew Scott napisał(a):
    > As above, we are currently having issues with enabling bpstart_notify calling
    > an external batch file we have created. Bpstart successfully runs a preceeding
    > VB script, but fails to run a CLUI command post this VB script. (CLUI is
    > the command line interface into HP's Replication Solution Manager). Has any
    > one had any similar problems of NetBackup skipping actions within BPSTART_NOTIFY?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mathew

  3. Re: bpstart_notify - ignoring calls to external batch files

    We do have the full path in the Environment Variables to the CLUI command.
    The Visual Basic script is actually a script that shuts down a virtual server
    only. It is the call to the CLUI command that is failing.

    marekk wrote:
    >do you have absolute path to clui command in your vb script ?
    >
    >marekk
    >
    >Mathew Scott napisał(a):
    >> As above, we are currently having issues with enabling bpstart_notify

    calling
    >> an external batch file we have created. Bpstart successfully runs a preceeding
    >> VB script, but fails to run a CLUI command post this VB script. (CLUI

    is
    >> the command line interface into HP's Replication Solution Manager). Has

    any
    >> one had any similar problems of NetBackup skipping actions within BPSTART_NOTIFY?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Mathew

  4. Re: bpstart_notify - ignoring calls to external batch files

    Hi Matthew,
    The way I have always used the notify scripts is to simply call my procedure
    and pipe it out - and that's it. The commands/tools/utilities that you run
    must generate no ouput, as this is fed back to the controlling job, and can
    confuse it. So, I always use;
    mybatch.bat > mybatch.log
    and that way, none of the output from my script interuppts the parent job,
    and I get to see what my script has produced. Of course, this makes for
    tricky testing, but what do you expect - you are trying to backup live or
    important test data after all - and, let's face it, it is live data isn't
    it..., and live systems behave differently - what I'm trying to say is...
    don't get annoyed if NetBackup doesn't seem to do what you want sometimes -
    it's one of the truely hetergeneious systems available, and if your batch
    files don't seem to do what you expect, then maybe your expectations are
    incorrect. See what I mean?
    RTFM dude. Peace.
    So, please do show your script, and some others might be able to help you.
    Thanks,
    Dave.

  5. Re: bpstart_notify - ignoring calls to external batch files

    "Mathew Scott" wrote:

    >We do have the full path in the Environment Variables to the CLUI command.
    >The Visual Basic script is actually a script that shuts down a virtual server
    >only. It is the call to the CLUI command that is failing.
    >
    >marekk wrote:
    >>do you have absolute path to clui command in your vb script ?
    >>
    >>marekk
    >>
    >>Mathew Scott napisał(a):
    >>> As above, we are currently having issues with enabling bpstart_notify

    >calling
    >>> an external batch file we have created. Bpstart successfully runs a preceeding
    >>> VB script, but fails to run a CLUI command post this VB script. (CLUI

    >is
    >>> the command line interface into HP's Replication Solution Manager). Has

    >any
    >>> one had any similar problems of NetBackup skipping actions within BPSTART_NOTIFY?
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Mathew

    Based on my experience writing DOS scripts, having the full path in the environment
    does not guarantee the OS will be able to find the program in question.
    The reason is that whenever a program is run, especially when a process spawns
    a child, you sometimes don't know what environment is being inherited.

    I've run into this many times, usually when trying to schedule a script:
    it runs fine from the command line but fails when scheduled. The fix is
    to fully qualify the path.

    Scott

  6. Re: bpstart_notify - ignoring calls to external batch files

    If the script execution is successfull when u do tht manually, you shouldnt
    face any problem with in netbackup. try executing the bp_start_notify.cmd
    manually and see.

    "Scott" wrote:

    >"Mathew Scott" wrote:
    >>
    >>We do have the full path in the Environment Variables to the CLUI command.
    >>The Visual Basic script is actually a script that shuts down a virtual

    server
    >>only. It is the call to the CLUI command that is failing.
    >>
    >>marekk wrote:
    >>>do you have absolute path to clui command in your vb script ?
    >>>
    >>>marekk

    >>calling

    preceeding

    >>is

    Has
    >>any

    >Based on my experience writing DOS scripts, having the full path in the

    environment
    >does not guarantee the OS will be able to find the program in question.

    >The reason is that whenever a program is run, especially when a process

    spawns
    >a child, you sometimes don't know what environment is being inherited.

    >I've run into this many times, usually when trying to schedule a script:
    > it runs fine from the command line but fails when scheduled. The fix is
    >to fully qualify the path.
    >

    >Scott

+ Reply to Thread