300Gig backup takes 15hrs - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on 300Gig backup takes 15hrs - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi I have lotus notes mail server with around 1000 users and has around 300 gig of data on it, i also have a file server with the same amount of data. both server are solaris unix servers. we also ...

  1. 300Gig backup takes 15hrs

    Hi

    I have lotus notes mail server with around 1000 users and has around 300 gig
    of data on it, i also have a file server with the same amount of data. both
    server are solaris unix servers.

    we also have several other servers that backup to DLT tapes and our exchange
    system backup to disk and backed to tape. the exchange systems also has
    just over 300gig of data on it.

    the problem we have is that domino server and file servers take so long to
    back up that we dont the change to perform disk to tape back up for our
    exchange servers.

    we have netbackup enterprise 5.1, from you experience how should i expect
    300gig of data to backup, surely 15hrs is not the answer.

    and how do i check the speed of the backup? we have sun storedge L25 robot.
    and does any know the backup speed for this robot.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: 300Gig backup takes 15hrs

    What kind of DLT drives do you have? Also, how fast are your network
    connections to these boxes? We have about 15 Lotus Notes Servers, our
    biggest one is about 750gig and takes about 12 hours to back up. Now we do
    have multiplexed backups so thats running with another server or 2, but we
    average about 15meg/sec to the drive. If we would not multiplex it would
    probably be closing to 25-30meg/sec and cut the backup to around 6 to 8
    hours. Not knowing the max speed of your drives and network its tough to
    say if your performance is normal.

    "John Smith" wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have lotus notes mail server with around 1000 users and has around 300
    > gig
    > of data on it, i also have a file server with the same amount of data.
    > both
    > server are solaris unix servers.
    >
    > we also have several other servers that backup to DLT tapes and our
    > exchange
    > system backup to disk and backed to tape. the exchange systems also has
    > just over 300gig of data on it.
    >
    > the problem we have is that domino server and file servers take so long to
    > back up that we dont the change to perform disk to tape back up for our
    > exchange servers.
    >
    > we have netbackup enterprise 5.1, from you experience how should i expect
    > 300gig of data to backup, surely 15hrs is not the answer.
    >
    > and how do i check the speed of the backup? we have sun storedge L25
    > robot.
    > and does any know the backup speed for this robot.
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: 300Gig backup takes 15hrs

    i am multiplexing, and both policy usually run around the same time and
    maybe with couple other server backup to disk (D2T). The network speed 1gig
    for the file server and 100mb for the lotus domino server.

    the backup server has quad processors i think, the whole backup system was
    designed around the volume of the data that we are backing up, but it seems
    so slow.

    how do i determine the current speed of the backups, at least then i would
    have some idea of the through put.

    "Ronald Hall" wrote in message
    > What kind of DLT drives do you have? Also, how fast are your network
    > connections to these boxes? We have about 15 Lotus Notes Servers, our
    > biggest one is about 750gig and takes about 12 hours to back up. Now we
    > do have multiplexed backups so thats running with another server or 2, but
    > we average about 15meg/sec to the drive. If we would not multiplex it
    > would probably be closing to 25-30meg/sec and cut the backup to around 6
    > to 8 hours. Not knowing the max speed of your drives and network its
    > tough to say if your performance is normal.
    >
    > "John Smith" wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have lotus notes mail server with around 1000 users and has around 300
    >> gig
    >> of data on it, i also have a file server with the same amount of data.
    >> both
    >> server are solaris unix servers.
    >>
    >> we also have several other servers that backup to DLT tapes and our
    >> exchange
    >> system backup to disk and backed to tape. the exchange systems also has
    >> just over 300gig of data on it.
    >>
    >> the problem we have is that domino server and file servers take so long
    >> back up that we dont the change to perform disk to tape back up for our
    >> exchange servers.
    >>
    >> we have netbackup enterprise 5.1, from you experience how should i expect
    >> 300gig of data to backup, surely 15hrs is not the answer.
    >>
    >> and how do i check the speed of the backup? we have sun storedge L25
    >> robot.
    >> and does any know the backup speed for this robot.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

  4. Re: 300Gig backup takes 15hrs

    "John Smith" wrote:
    >i am multiplexing, and both policy usually run around the same time and

    >maybe with couple other server backup to disk (D2T). The network speed

    1gig
    >for the file server and 100mb for the lotus domino server.
    >
    >the backup server has quad processors i think, the whole backup system was

    >designed around the volume of the data that we are backing up, but it seems

    >so slow.
    >
    >how do i determine the current speed of the backups, at least then i would

    >have some idea of the through put.

    Look at the Activity Monitor
    Look at the Reports
    Look at bpdbjobs
    Look at bperror
    Look at the System Administrator's Guide
    Look at the search part of this Web site
    Look at the Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide

  5. Re: 300Gig backup takes 15hrs

    is there a quick of finding what the throughput is, i have been digging the
    manuals for a while and cannot find anything i havent tried before.

    we only have one media server, backing up around 1TB a nites, half of it is
    the two server mentioned below. we multiplex everything that is backing up
    to tape, if i turn off multiplex would that help, seriously i would
    appreciate any input on this.

    "richard" wrote in message

    > "John Smith" wrote:
    >>i am multiplexing, and both policy usually run around the same time and

    >>maybe with couple other server backup to disk (D2T). The network speed

    > 1gig
    >>for the file server and 100mb for the lotus domino server.
    >>
    >>the backup server has quad processors i think, the whole backup system was

    >>designed around the volume of the data that we are backing up, but it
    >>seems

    >>so slow.
    >>
    >>how do i determine the current speed of the backups, at least then i would

    >>have some idea of the through put.

    > Look at the Activity Monitor
    > Look at the Reports
    > Look at bpdbjobs
    > Look at bperror
    > Look at the System Administrator's Guide
    > Look at the search part of this Web site
    > Look at the Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide

  6. Re: 300Gig backup takes 15hrs

    "John Smith" wrote:
    >is there a quick of finding what the throughput is, i have been digging

    the
    >manuals for a while and cannot find anything i havent tried before.
    >
    >we only have one media server, backing up around 1TB a nites, half of it

    is
    >the two server mentioned below. we multiplex everything that is backing

    up
    >to tape, if i turn off multiplex would that help, seriously i would
    >appreciate any input on this.
    >
    >"richard" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "John Smith" wrote:
    >>>i am multiplexing, and both policy usually run around the same time and

    >>>maybe with couple other server backup to disk (D2T). The network speed

    >> 1gig
    >>>for the file server and 100mb for the lotus domino server.
    >>>
    >>>the backup server has quad processors i think, the whole backup system

    was

    >>>designed around the volume of the data that we are backing up, but it

    >>>seems

    >>>so slow.
    >>>
    >>>how do i determine the current speed of the backups, at least then i would

    >>>have some idea of the through put.

    >> Look at the Activity Monitor
    >> Look at the Reports
    >> Look at bpdbjobs
    >> Look at bperror
    >> Look at the System Administrator's Guide
    >> Look at the search part of this Web site
    >> Look at the Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide

    Check out the tuning/performance document at

    http://www.catalystbiosolutions.com/...p_planning.doc

    You should analyze each component individually, with as much isolation as
    possible, to get a good idea where your bottleneck is.

    Scott

  7. Re: 300Gig backup takes 15hrs

    Thank you all, the performance issue was due to incorrect buffer size.
    by default netbackup enterprise is set to support legacy system, unless you
    make the
    necessary changes for your hardware, you will be locked down to legacy
    system setting, and this throughput for this is around 5/6meg a second.

    I am using SDLT tapes, i have made the following changes to media servers

    cd /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config

    vi SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS, add 262144

    vi NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS , add 32 to it.

    if the files dont exist create them.

    "Scott" wrote in message

    > "John Smith" wrote:
    >>is there a quick of finding what the throughput is, i have been digging

    > the
    >>manuals for a while and cannot find anything i havent tried before.
    >>
    >>we only have one media server, backing up around 1TB a nites, half of it

    > is
    >>the two server mentioned below. we multiplex everything that is backing

    > up
    >>to tape, if i turn off multiplex would that help, seriously i would
    >>appreciate any input on this.
    >>
    >>"richard" wrote in message

    >>> 1gig

    > was

    >>> Look at the Activity Monitor
    >>> Look at the Reports
    >>> Look at bpdbjobs
    >>> Look at bperror
    >>> Look at the System Administrator's Guide
    >>> Look at the search part of this Web site
    >>> Look at the Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide

    > Check out the tuning/performance document at
    >
    > http://www.catalystbiosolutions.com/...p_planning.doc
    >
    > You should analyze each component individually, with as much isolation as
    > possible, to get a good idea where your bottleneck is.
    >

    > Scott

+ Reply to Thread