How to use the diskfullnotify script to delete files ? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on How to use the diskfullnotify script to delete files ? - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi All, I'm using the diskfullnotify script to send e-mails in case of I run out of space in my disk storage units. What I would like to do is to create a script that read the contents of the ...

  1. How to use the diskfullnotify script to delete files ?

    Hi All,
    I'm using the diskfullnotify script to send e-mails in case of I run out
    of space in my disk storage units. What I would like to do is to create a
    script that read the contents of the dsikfullnotify e-mail and automatically
    remove the old files stored on the storage unit. I am not a programmer so
    I am not familiar with scripts. If someone can send me an example for a Win
    2k environment or can guide me through web site with explanations, I'd be
    really greatfull.
    Regards.
    Michel

  2. Re: How to use the diskfullnotify script to delete files ?

    hmm

    why do you want to remove data from disk storage unit ??

    regards
    marekk

    Michel napisał(a):
    > Hi All,
    > I'm using the diskfullnotify script to send e-mails in case of I run out
    > of space in my disk storage units. What I would like to do is to create a
    > script that read the contents of the dsikfullnotify e-mail and automatically
    > remove the old files stored on the storage unit. I am not a programmer so
    > I am not familiar with scripts. If someone can send me an example for a Win
    > 2k environment or can guide me through web site with explanations, I'd be
    > really greatfull.
    > Regards.
    > Michel

  3. Re: How to use the diskfullnotify script to delete files ?

    hmm You have to expire data from disk storage unit, you can't do it
    automaticly.. you should to create scripts for it.
    Did you think about disk staging ??

    marekk

    Michel napisał(a):
    > I need to remove data because of different reasons !
    > Plus the fact that in the Netbackup documentation they say that this script
    > can be used to delete files. So I suppose that I'm not the only one who needs
    > this feature. Can you help me ?
    >
    > Michel
    > marekk wrote:
    >> hmm
    >>
    >> why do you want to remove data from disk storage unit ??
    >>

    >> regards
    >> marekk
    >>
    >> Michel napisał(a):
    >>> Hi All,
    >>> I'm using the diskfullnotify script to send e-mails in case of I run out
    >>> of space in my disk storage units. What I would like to do is to create

    >>> script that read the contents of the dsikfullnotify e-mail and automatically
    >>> remove the old files stored on the storage unit. I am not a programmer

    > so
    >>> I am not familiar with scripts. If someone can send me an example for

    > a Win
    >>> 2k environment or can guide me through web site with explanations, I'd

    > be
    >>> really greatfull.
    >>> Regards.
    >>> Michel

  4. Re: How to use the diskfullnotify script to delete files ?

    marekk wrote:
    >hmm
    >
    >why do you want to remove data from disk storage unit ??
    >

    >regards
    >marekk
    >
    >Michel napisał(a):
    >> Hi All,
    >> I'm using the diskfullnotify script to send e-mails in case of I run out
    >> of space in my disk storage units. What I would like to do is to create

    >> script that read the contents of the dsikfullnotify e-mail and automatically
    >> remove the old files stored on the storage unit. I am not a programmer

    so
    >> I am not familiar with scripts. If someone can send me an example for

    a Win
    >> 2k environment or can guide me through web site with explanations, I'd

    be
    >> really greatfull.
    >> Regards.
    >> Michel

  5. Re: How to use the diskfullnotify script to delete files ?

    Ok Let me explain you abit more my problem.
    I have several locations throughout Europe. Ther is only standalone tape
    devices and NASes that I use for my backups.
    The standalone drive is used for 1 full backup once a week and the NAS is
    used for Incr. backup once a day. I can not perform a disk staging job because
    there is no one to change the tape plus the tape is to small to contains
    all these jobs. I don't wnat to change my retention period as i told you
    before. In fact I really want to find some help about creating the scripts
    using the DiskFull_notify existing script. if anyone can point me to examples,
    please let me know.
    Regards
    Michel

    marek wrote:
    >hmm You have to expire data from disk storage unit, you can't do it
    >automaticly.. you should to create scripts for it.
    >Did you think about disk staging ??
    >
    >marekk
    >
    >Michel napisał(a):
    >> I need to remove data because of different reasons !
    >> Plus the fact that in the Netbackup documentation they say that this script
    >> can be used to delete files. So I suppose that I'm not the only one who

    needs
    >> this feature. Can you help me ?
    >>
    >> Michel
    >> marekk wrote:
    >>> hmm
    >>>
    >>> why do you want to remove data from disk storage unit ??
    >>>

    >>> regards
    >>> marekk

    out

    >> so

    >> a Win

    >> be

  6. Re: How to use the diskfullnotify script to delete files ?

    But if you delete some "old" data, you are, in effect, changing your retention
    period because data that would have expired some time in the future is now
    gone.

    Something to possibly consider.

    Scott

    "Michel" wrote:

    >Ok Let me explain you abit more my problem.
    >I have several locations throughout Europe. Ther is only standalone tape
    >devices and NASes that I use for my backups.
    >The standalone drive is used for 1 full backup once a week and the NAS is
    >used for Incr. backup once a day. I can not perform a disk staging job because
    >there is no one to change the tape plus the tape is to small to contains
    >all these jobs. I don't wnat to change my retention period as i told you
    >before. In fact I really want to find some help about creating the scripts
    >using the DiskFull_notify existing script. if anyone can point me to examples,
    >please let me know.
    >Regards
    >Michel
    >
    >marek wrote:
    >>hmm You have to expire data from disk storage unit, you can't do it
    >>automaticly.. you should to create scripts for it.
    >>Did you think about disk staging ??
    >>
    >>marekk
    >>
    >>Michel napisał(a):
    >>> I need to remove data because of different reasons !
    >>> Plus the fact that in the Netbackup documentation they say that this

    script
    >>> can be used to delete files. So I suppose that I'm not the only one who

    >needs
    >>> this feature. Can you help me ?
    >>>
    >>> Michel

    >out