VSP - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on VSP - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, I wanted to know whether VSP gets installed when we select typical install on the windows 2003 client in Veritas 6.0? How to check whether VSP is installed or not? regards,...

  1. VSP

    Hi,

    I wanted to know whether VSP gets installed when we select typical install
    on the windows 2003 client in Veritas 6.0?

    How to check whether VSP is installed or not?

    regards,

  2. Re: VSP

    Hi Yogesh,
    It is installed by default. You have to use an MSI switch to stop it being
    installed. See the files "silent*.*" in the installation kit folder.
    Regards,
    Dave.

  3. Re: VSP

    do I need to reboot the client for activating VSP?

    rgds,
    yogesh

    "D R" wrote:
    >Hi Yogesh,
    >It is installed by default. You have to use an MSI switch to stop it being

    >installed. See the files "silent*.*" in the installation kit folder.
    >Regards,
    >Dave.

  4. Re: VSP

    Hi Yogesh,
    Yes, you need to reboot to enable VSP. I'm pretty sure that a manual
    (visual) install actually says this too.
    Regards,
    Dave.

  5. Re: VSP

    Hi..
    On Windows 2003 you can use VSS, but you should to specify it on client
    configuration in master server properties..

    marekk

    yogesh napisał(a):
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wanted to know whether VSP gets installed when we select typical install
    > on the windows 2003 client in Veritas 6.0?
    >
    > How to check whether VSP is installed or not?
    >
    > regards,

  6. Re: VSP

    marek wrote:
    >Hi..
    >On Windows 2003 you can use VSS, but you should to specify it on client
    >configuration in master server properties..
    >
    >marekk
    >
    >yogesh napisał(a):
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I wanted to know whether VSP gets installed when we select typical install
    >> on the windows 2003 client in Veritas 6.0?
    >>
    >> How to check whether VSP is installed or not?
    >>
    >> regards,

    For what it's worth, Symantec told me that VSS is a better choice when it
    comes to abandoned cache files that can't be deleted without a reboot [Symantec
    Anti-Virus was locking the file for so long that the backup process had already
    given up trying to delete it and moved on].

    Scott

  7. Re: VSP

    ....and for us we had the same problem with abandoned locked VSP files when
    used with McAfee A/V.

    Our solution was to exclude "C" drive from list of VSP allowable drives, on
    *ALL* clients. The presence of a drive letter in the VSP exclusion list for
    a client means, do not use VSP on this drive, and do not use VSP to scan
    this drive. We also reduced the VSP cache file min and max file sizes to;
    For nearly all clients:
    min 300MB
    max 3GB
    ....and for a few bigger/beefier clients:
    min 1GB
    max 5GB

    The above, together with exluding "_*.VSP" from the McAfee virus scanner,
    resolved our problems.

    For a select few clients we had to abandon VSP altogether, and specify all
    the local drive letters in the VSP drive exclusion list.

    Regards,
    Dave.

  8. Re: VSP

    Oops, I do mean;

    The presence of a drive letter in the VSP drive exclusion list means;
    1) Do not use VSP to snapshot the specified drive(s);
    2) and do not store/write any VSP cache files on the specified drive(s).

    Regards,
    Dave.

+ Reply to Thread