Free disk space decreasing. - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Free disk space decreasing. - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello, On several 2003 enterprise servers the free disk space is gradually decreasing. Although Volume shadow copy is disabled Veritas Netbeackup enables it for its backup. This is not a problem but it sometimes also changes the limits of VSC ...

  1. Free disk space decreasing.

    Hello,

    On several 2003 enterprise servers the free disk space is gradually
    decreasing. Although Volume shadow copy is disabled Veritas Netbeackup
    enables it for its backup.
    This is not a problem but it sometimes also changes the limits of VSC to "no
    limits". After a while the free disk space is filled up with al kind of
    Volume Shadow Copies.
    Setting limits is not a good solution because it changes them back to "no
    limits"after a while.
    Do anybody have a definite solution ?

    Regards Jos.

  2. Re: Free disk space decreasing.

    "Jos Gerrits" wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >On several 2003 enterprise servers the free disk space is gradually
    >decreasing. Although Volume shadow copy is disabled Veritas Netbeackup
    >enables it for its backup.
    >This is not a problem but it sometimes also changes the limits of VSC to

    "no
    >limits". After a while the free disk space is filled up with al kind of

    >Volume Shadow Copies.
    >Setting limits is not a good solution because it changes them back to "no

    >limits"after a while.
    >Do anybody have a definite solution ?
    >
    >Regards Jos.

    Jos,

    When you say "no limits", do you mean that the max cache size is infinite?
    Or some finite but very large number? I thought that if you disabled the
    "customize cache size" option, NBU would calculate it for you based on what
    it thought it needed balanced against free disk space.

    Besides that, NBU should be deleting the cache files when it's done. I have
    run into situations where it does not delete the files and they can't be
    deleted unless you reboot [interaction with Symantec Anti-virus]. The workaround
    was to use Windows 2K+3 and VSS instead of VSP.

    Scott

  3. Re: Free disk space decreasing.

    Hi Scott,

    When I look into the properties of a Drive - Schadow Copies - Settings.
    It says "No limit" in stead of "Use Limit". When you use Vssadmin to look,
    then it says "Unbounded".
    I do think NBU doesn't delete old schadow copies and because it has no
    limits, it is eating free drive space
    until it overloads then it frees up occupied space.
    When I put a limit to a drive it stays below that limit and free up disk
    space. This is my workaround.
    Although some drive use spaces from other drives i.e. C uses a storage area
    on D etc.

    We have Schadow copies disabled but NBU should delete old schadow copies.
    We use NBU v5.1 MP4.

    Regards Jos.

    "Scott" schreef in bericht

    > "Jos Gerrits" wrote:
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>On several 2003 enterprise servers the free disk space is gradually
    >>decreasing. Although Volume shadow copy is disabled Veritas Netbeackup
    >>enables it for its backup.
    >>This is not a problem but it sometimes also changes the limits of VSC to

    > "no
    >>limits". After a while the free disk space is filled up with al kind of

    >>Volume Shadow Copies.
    >>Setting limits is not a good solution because it changes them back to "no

    >>limits"after a while.
    >>Do anybody have a definite solution ?
    >>
    >>Regards Jos.
    >>

    > Jos,
    >
    > When you say "no limits", do you mean that the max cache size is
    > infinite?
    > Or some finite but very large number? I thought that if you disabled the
    > "customize cache size" option, NBU would calculate it for you based on
    > what
    > it thought it needed balanced against free disk space.
    >
    > Besides that, NBU should be deleting the cache files when it's done. I
    > have
    > run into situations where it does not delete the files and they can't be
    > deleted unless you reboot [interaction with Symantec Anti-virus]. The
    > workaround
    > was to use Windows 2K+3 and VSS instead of VSP.
    >

    > Scott

+ Reply to Thread