Catalog backup tape - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Catalog backup tape - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi ! I have 2 tapes that I previously used to perform Catalog Backup (NB 5.1 MP4). For now, I want to reused them for regular backup... I don't know what to do to be able to reused those tapes ...

  1. Catalog backup tape

    Hi !

    I have 2 tapes that I previously used to perform Catalog Backup (NB 5.1
    MP4). For now, I want to reused them for regular backup... I don't know what
    to do to be able to reused those tapes for regular backup.

    I have this message in JOB detailed status: "FREEZING media id 000014, it
    contains NetBackup database backup data and cannot be used for backups"..

    I can I "expire" Netbackup Database backup image on this tape ?

    Hugo

  2. Re: Catalog backup tape

    "Hugo" wrote:
    >Hi !
    >
    >I have 2 tapes that I previously used to perform Catalog Backup (NB 5.1

    >MP4). For now, I want to reused them for regular backup... I don't know

    what
    >to do to be able to reused those tapes for regular backup.
    >
    >I have this message in JOB detailed status: "FREEZING media id 000014, it

    >contains NetBackup database backup data and cannot be used for backups"..
    >
    > I can I "expire" Netbackup Database backup image on this tape ?
    >
    >Hugo

    Hugo,

    I do a vmquery -m tape# and find the "volume pool" and "status" [the number
    after "0x"]. Then I do a

    vmquery -deassignbyid tape# volume_pool status

    Then I assign it to the scratch pool.

    I'm not sure if this hits all of the relevant databases but it seems to have
    worked for me.

    Scott

    Scott

  3. Re: Catalog backup tape

    Hi Scott !

    Thank you !

    Hugo

    "Scott" a écrit dans le message de news:
    444d7e0f@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > "Hugo" wrote:
    >>Hi !
    >>
    >>I have 2 tapes that I previously used to perform Catalog Backup (NB 5.1

    >>MP4). For now, I want to reused them for regular backup... I don't know

    > what
    >>to do to be able to reused those tapes for regular backup.
    >>
    >>I have this message in JOB detailed status: "FREEZING media id 000014, it

    >>contains NetBackup database backup data and cannot be used for backups"..
    >>
    >> I can I "expire" Netbackup Database backup image on this tape ?
    >>
    >>Hugo
    >>

    > Hugo,
    >
    > I do a vmquery -m tape# and find the "volume pool" and "status" [the
    > number
    > after "0x"]. Then I do a
    >
    > vmquery -deassignbyid tape# volume_pool status
    >
    > Then I assign it to the scratch pool.
    >
    > I'm not sure if this hits all of the relevant databases but it seems to
    > have
    > worked for me.
    >

    > Scott
    >

    > Scott

  4. Re: Catalog backup tape

    >>>I have 2 tapes that I previously used to perform Catalog Backup (NB 5.1

    >>>MP4). For now, I want to reused them for regular backup... I don't know

    >> what
    >>>to do to be able to reused those tapes for regular backup.
    >>>
    >>>I have this message in JOB detailed status: "FREEZING media id 000014,

    it

    >>>contains NetBackup database backup data and cannot be used for backups"..
    >>>
    >>> I can I "expire" Netbackup Database backup image on this tape ?

    Hugo: man bplabel

    The format of an offline catalog backup tape is different from a NetBackup
    data tape. bplabel puts a normal data tape label on the tape.

  5. Re: Catalog backup tape

    Scott escreveu:
    > "Hugo" wrote:
    >> Hi !
    >>
    >> I have 2 tapes that I previously used to perform Catalog Backup (NB 5.1

    >> MP4). For now, I want to reused them for regular backup... I don't know

    > what
    >> to do to be able to reused those tapes for regular backup.
    >>
    >> I have this message in JOB detailed status: "FREEZING media id 000014, it

    >> contains NetBackup database backup data and cannot be used for backups"..
    >>
    >> I can I "expire" Netbackup Database backup image on this tape ?
    >>
    >> Hugo
    >>

    > Hugo,
    >
    > I do a vmquery -m tape# and find the "volume pool" and "status" [the number
    > after "0x"]. Then I do a
    >
    > vmquery -deassignbyid tape# volume_pool status
    >
    > Then I assign it to the scratch pool.
    >
    > I'm not sure if this hits all of the relevant databases but it seems to have
    > worked for me.
    >

    > Scott
    >

    > Scott

    Hello,

    I use "bpexpdate -m -d 0".

    Cheers,
    Vinicius.

  6. Re: Catalog backup tape

    Veritas protects you Catalog Backups. To use you must Quick Erase... or Long
    Erase the tapes.

    Vinicius wrote:
    >Scott escreveu:
    >> "Hugo" wrote:
    >>> Hi !
    >>>
    >>> I have 2 tapes that I previously used to perform Catalog Backup (NB 5.1

    >>> MP4). For now, I want to reused them for regular backup... I don't know

    >> what
    >>> to do to be able to reused those tapes for regular backup.
    >>>
    >>> I have this message in JOB detailed status: "FREEZING media id 000014,

    it

    >>> contains NetBackup database backup data and cannot be used for backups"..
    >>>
    >>> I can I "expire" Netbackup Database backup image on this tape ?
    >>>
    >>> Hugo
    >>>

    >> Hugo,
    >>
    >> I do a vmquery -m tape# and find the "volume pool" and "status" [the

    number
    >> after "0x"]. Then I do a
    >>
    >> vmquery -deassignbyid tape# volume_pool status
    >>
    >> Then I assign it to the scratch pool.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure if this hits all of the relevant databases but it seems to

    have
    >> worked for me.
    >>

    >> Scott
    >>

    >> Scott

    >Hello,
    >
    >I use "bpexpdate -m -d 0".
    >

    >Cheers,
    >Vinicius.

  7. Re: Catalog backup tape

    Mat escreveu:
    > Veritas protects you Catalog Backups. To use you must Quick Erase... or Long
    > Erase the tapes.
    >

    > Vinicius wrote:
    >> Scott escreveu:

    >>> what

    > it

    >>> Hugo,
    >>>
    >>> I do a vmquery -m tape# and find the "volume pool" and "status" [the

    > number
    >>> after "0x"]. Then I do a
    >>>
    >>> vmquery -deassignbyid tape# volume_pool status
    >>>
    >>> Then I assign it to the scratch pool.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not sure if this hits all of the relevant databases but it seems to

    > have
    >>> worked for me.
    >>>

    >>> Scott
    >>>

    >>> Scott

    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I use "bpexpdate -m -d 0".
    >>

    >> Cheers,
    >> Vinicius.

    Version 6 shows this:
    "-deassignbyid media_id pool_number stat
    Unassign volume by media ID, pool, and status. Starting with NetBackup
    6.0, this option can only deassign non-NetBackup media.
    Non-NetBackup media includes media used by VERITAS Storage
    Migrator, VERITAS Data Lifecycle Manager, or by users working outside
    of the NetBackup policy framework (for example, those using tpreq
    directly). To deassign NetBackup tapes, use the bpexpdate command."

    Cheers,
    Vinicius.

  8. Re: Catalog backup tape

    Expired the media > bpexpdate -m (mediaid) -d 0

    then label the media > bplabel -m (mediaid) -d (density) -p (volume pool)

    eg bplabel -m hu0000 -d dtl2 -p Scratch_Pool

    "Mat" wrote:

    >Veritas protects you Catalog Backups. To use you must Quick Erase... or

    Long
    >Erase the tapes.
    >

    >Vinicius wrote:
    >>Scott escreveu:

    5.1

    >>> what

    >it

    >>> Hugo,
    >>>
    >>> I do a vmquery -m tape# and find the "volume pool" and "status" [the

    >number
    >>> after "0x"]. Then I do a
    >>>
    >>> vmquery -deassignbyid tape# volume_pool status
    >>>
    >>> Then I assign it to the scratch pool.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not sure if this hits all of the relevant databases but it seems

    >have
    >>> worked for me.
    >>>

    >>> Scott
    >>>

    >>> Scott

    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I use "bpexpdate -m -d 0".
    >>

    >>Cheers,
    >>Vinicius.

  9. Re: Catalog backup tape

    Change the tape from Netbackup Volume Pool to Scratch Pool

    re-label the tapes.

    bplabel -m (mediaid) -d (tape density) -p Scratch Pool

    Vinicius wrote:
    >Mat escreveu:
    >> Veritas protects you Catalog Backups. To use you must Quick Erase...

    or Long
    >> Erase the tapes.
    >>

    >> Vinicius wrote:

    5.1

    know

    >> it

    >> number

    >> have

    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I use "bpexpdate -m -d 0".
    >>>

    >>> Cheers,
    >>> Vinicius.

    >Version 6 shows this:
    >"-deassignbyid media_id pool_number stat
    >Unassign volume by media ID, pool, and status. Starting with NetBackup
    >6.0, this option can only deassign non-NetBackup media.
    >Non-NetBackup media includes media used by VERITAS Storage
    >Migrator, VERITAS Data Lifecycle Manager, or by users working outside
    >of the NetBackup policy framework (for example, those using tpreq
    >directly). To deassign NetBackup tapes, use the bpexpdate command."
    >

    >Cheers,
    >Vinicius.

+ Reply to Thread