Reading Unlabelled media on standalone drive in NB6 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Reading Unlabelled media on standalone drive in NB6 - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi all, Have just added a standalone drive to an installation of NB6.0. The tape drive is seen correctly and shows as UP and under AVR control in the device monitor. My experience of standalone drives in NB is that ...

  1. Reading Unlabelled media on standalone drive in NB6

    Hi all,
    Have just added a standalone drive to an installation of NB6.0. The tape
    drive is seen correctly and shows as UP and under AVR control in the device
    monitor. My experience of standalone drives in NB is that as soon as you
    put a tape in the drive (as long as AVR is in control) the tape label should
    display in device monitor. I have three old (couple of years) tapes that
    we think were created in Backup Exec (probably version 9) that we urgently
    need to read in an effort to restore some missing PST files. when I put any
    of these tapes in the drive Device Monitor displays no labels (recorded or
    external). When I insert a tape created by another one of our NB servers
    the drive displays the label OK - so we know the drive is working fine.

    How do I get to read this tape so I can attempt to import any catalog information
    it may contain? AFAIK the only way to import a tape thru the GUI is by using
    a media label...

    TIA

    Mark P.

  2. Re: Reading Unlabelled media on standalone drive in NB6

    What kind of library or stand alone tape drive is this?

    When I see AVR mode, it usually mean that the device is unrecognized?

    js

    "Mark P." wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >Have just added a standalone drive to an installation of NB6.0. The tape
    >drive is seen correctly and shows as UP and under AVR control in the device
    >monitor. My experience of standalone drives in NB is that as soon as you
    >put a tape in the drive (as long as AVR is in control) the tape label should
    >display in device monitor. I have three old (couple of years) tapes that
    >we think were created in Backup Exec (probably version 9) that we urgently
    >need to read in an effort to restore some missing PST files. when I put

    any
    >of these tapes in the drive Device Monitor displays no labels (recorded

    or
    >external). When I insert a tape created by another one of our NB servers
    >the drive displays the label OK - so we know the drive is working fine.

    >How do I get to read this tape so I can attempt to import any catalog information
    >it may contain? AFAIK the only way to import a tape thru the GUI is by using
    >a media label...
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Mark P.

+ Reply to Thread