NB6.0 MP1 catalog grows huge, with lots of tmp directories - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on NB6.0 MP1 catalog grows huge, with lots of tmp directories - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello We are using NB6.0 on a solaris 10 machine, and i see that the catalog increasing permanently its size. After looking into /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images i typed a find . -type d -name tmp -exec du -sk {} \;|sort -rn|more it ...

  1. NB6.0 MP1 catalog grows huge, with lots of tmp directories

    Hello

    We are using NB6.0 on a solaris 10 machine, and i see that the catalog increasing
    permanently its size. After looking into /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images

    i typed a

    find . -type d -name tmp -exec du -sk {} \;|sort -rn|more

    it shows me a lot of directories named tmp consuming lots of space

    369272 ./serv.th/1143000000/tmp
    285161 ./medusa.rz/1142000000/tmp
    157727 ./watchtower.col/1142000000/tmp
    147573 ./pax08e3.mipool/1142000000/tmp
    111954 ./aristoteles.zuv/1143000000/tmp

    This consumes a lot of diskspace and increases the total catalog size very
    much. It is save to remove these directories or will that corrupt the catalog
    ?

    Thanks in advance
    Udo

    It is save to remove these directories ?
    find . -type d -name tmp -exec du -sk {} \;|sort -rn|more

    it shows me a lot of directories named tmp consuming lots of space

  2. Re: NB6.0 MP1 catalog grows huge, with lots of tmp directories

    Udo,

    I looked in my db/images directory and did not see any tmp directories.
    What are the contents of those directories? Are the clients in question
    Windows and could those be VSP-type remnants [although I thought those were
    confined to the client]?

    If they've only begun recently to show up, can you trace any change made
    to the system that corresponds with the dates of the tmp directories?

    Is it proportional to the size of the backup? What if you just back up
    a small folder on one server? Do you get an addition to the tmp directory?

    Lastly, do any of the logs [including those on the client] say anything about
    tmp? I'd look at bpbrm on the media server and bpbkar[32] on the client
    for starters.

    Scott

    "Udo Toedter" wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >We are using NB6.0 on a solaris 10 machine, and i see that the catalog increasing
    >permanently its size. After looking into /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images
    >
    >i typed a
    >
    > find . -type d -name tmp -exec du -sk {} \;|sort -rn|more
    >
    >it shows me a lot of directories named tmp consuming lots of space
    >
    >369272 ./serv.th/1143000000/tmp
    >285161 ./medusa.rz/1142000000/tmp
    >157727 ./watchtower.col/1142000000/tmp
    >147573 ./pax08e3.mipool/1142000000/tmp
    >111954 ./aristoteles.zuv/1143000000/tmp
    >
    >This consumes a lot of diskspace and increases the total catalog size very
    >much. It is save to remove these directories or will that corrupt the catalog
    >?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >Udo
    >
    >It is save to remove these directories ?
    >find . -type d -name tmp -exec du -sk {} \;|sort -rn|more
    >
    >it shows me a lot of directories named tmp consuming lots of space

  3. Re: NB6.0 MP1 catalog grows huge, with lots of tmp directories

    Scott explained :
    > Udo,
    >
    > I looked in my db/images directory and did not see any tmp directories.
    > What are the contents of those directories? Are the clients in question
    > Windows and could those be VSP-type remnants [although I thought those were
    > confined to the client]?
    >
    > If they've only begun recently to show up, can you trace any change made
    > to the system that corresponds with the dates of the tmp directories?
    >
    > Is it proportional to the size of the backup? What if you just back up
    > a small folder on one server? Do you get an addition to the tmp directory?
    >
    > Lastly, do any of the logs [including those on the client] say anything about
    > tmp? I'd look at bpbrm on the media server and bpbkar[32] on the client
    > for starters.
    >

    > Scott
    >

    > "Udo Toedter" wrote:
    >>
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> We are using NB6.0 on a solaris 10 machine, and i see that the catalog
    >> increasing permanently its size. After looking into
    >> /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images
    >>
    >> i typed a
    >>
    >> find . -type d -name tmp -exec du -sk {} \;|sort -rn|more
    >>
    >> it shows me a lot of directories named tmp consuming lots of space
    >>
    >> 369272 ./serv.th/1143000000/tmp
    >> 285161 ./medusa.rz/1142000000/tmp
    >> 157727 ./watchtower.col/1142000000/tmp
    >> 147573 ./pax08e3.mipool/1142000000/tmp
    >> 111954 ./aristoteles.zuv/1143000000/tmp
    >>
    >> This consumes a lot of diskspace and increases the total catalog size very
    >> much. It is save to remove these directories or will that corrupt the
    >> catalog ?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >> Udo
    >>
    >> It is save to remove these directories ?
    >> find . -type d -name tmp -exec du -sk {} \;|sort -rn|more
    >>
    >> it shows me a lot of directories named tmp consuming lots of space

    I know that there were some problems with the NetBackup "check point
    recovery" feature. I believe that these temp directorys may be from the
    checkpoint failing and leaving those directories..

+ Reply to Thread