do i need to create a policy for the catlog backup? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on do i need to create a policy for the catlog backup? - Veritas Net Backup ; hi do i need to create a policy for the catlog backup?how ofetn the catlog policy must be run? thanks, sam...

  1. do i need to create a policy for the catlog backup?

    hi
    do i need to create a policy for the catlog backup?how ofetn the catlog policy
    must be run?

    thanks,
    sam

  2. Re: do i need to create a policy for the catlog backup?

    "sam" wrote:

    >hi
    >do i need to create a policy for the catlog backup?how ofetn the catlog

    policy
    >must be run?
    >
    >thanks,
    >sam

    Sam,

    Read up on

    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpbackupdb

    How often you run it is up to you. I do it daily. I also have a vault policy
    to copy the catalog info offsite.

    Scott

    Scott

  3. Re: do i need to create a policy for the catlog backup?

    Hi Sam,

    If you are running v6.0 and want to send a catalog backup off-site using
    Vault (which is the recommended thing to do) then, yes you will need to
    create a policy to run the catalog backup. Note that the policy schedule
    type is different for a normal scheduled (or manually fired) policy as
    opposed to a policy that is run by Vault.
    e.g. for both scenarios the policy type is "NBU Catalog", but the 24x7
    schedule inside the policy must be "Full" for a normal scheduled or manually
    fired "hot on-line" catalog backup - or "Vault Catalog" for a "hot on-line"
    catalog backup that is run via Vault.

    N.B. That the recovery methods are different between the classic "cold
    off-line" catalog backup and the new "hot on-line" policy based catalog
    backup. I strongly recommend that you read the manual, and configure you're
    "hot on-line" catalog backups to save the special "DR" file on a different
    server and to also email the special "DR" file to an offsite email host.

    With v6 you can still have cold "off-line" catalog backups (i.e. the type in
    v4.5 and v5.x) run at the end of a "session" but remember that these cold
    catalog backups take EMM services down for the duration of the cold catalog
    backup. i.e. whilst the cold catalog is running, it will appear as if the
    master server has a problem, because some components of the GUI console and
    command line tools won't work until the cold catalog completes and EMM and
    started again at the end the cold catalog backup.

    Regards,
    Dave.

    "sam" wrote in message

    > hi
    > do i need to create a policy for the catlog backup?how ofetn the catlog
    > policy
    > must be run?
    >
    > thanks,
    > sam

  4. Re: do i need to create a policy for the catlog backup?

    No,

    The catalog is a separate entity. You can run the catalog by a right click
    or schedule the catatlog to run automatically at specific times. I like to
    manually run the catalog after all of my backups have completed sucessfully
    for the day. This ensures I have all the images on the catalog in the event
    of a disaster recovery requirement.

    Thanks
    J.S.

    "Scott" wrote:

    >"sam" wrote:
    >>
    >>hi
    >>do i need to create a policy for the catlog backup?how ofetn the catlog

    >policy
    >>must be run?
    >>
    >>thanks,
    >>sam
    >>

    >Sam,
    >
    > Read up on
    >
    >/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpbackupdb
    >
    >How often you run it is up to you. I do it daily. I also have a vault

    policy
    >to copy the catalog info offsite.
    >

    >Scott
    >

    >Scott