FREEZING media id 000011 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on FREEZING media id 000011 - Veritas Net Backup ; hi... i am new to netbackup. wanted to use one of the tapes in my pool for some backup.previously these tapes were used in another pool named 'netbackup'. i want to erase this tape before using in the new pool.start ...

  1. FREEZING media id 000011

    hi...
    i am new to netbackup. wanted to use one of the tapes in my pool for some
    backup.previously these tapes were used in another pool named 'netbackup'.
    i want to erase this tape before using in the new pool.start the erase but
    failed and getting the message.

    4/5/2006 10:38:12 AM - Warning bptm(pid=4956) FREEZING media id 000011, it
    contains NetBackup database backup data and cannot be used for backups

    tried to delete from the command fetting the message

    requested media id was not found in the EMM
    database

    what could be the reason? any help appreciated

    regards.......
    tom

  2. Re: FREEZING media id 000011

    "tom" wrote:

    >hi...
    >i am new to netbackup. wanted to use one of the tapes in my pool for some
    >backup.previously these tapes were used in another pool named 'netbackup'.
    >i want to erase this tape before using in the new pool.start the erase but
    >failed and getting the message.
    >
    >4/5/2006 10:38:12 AM - Warning bptm(pid=4956) FREEZING media id 000011,

    it
    >contains NetBackup database backup data and cannot be used for backups
    >
    >tried to delete from the command fetting the message
    >
    >requested media id was not found in the EMM
    >database
    >
    >what could be the reason? any help appreciated
    >
    >regards.......
    >tom

    This is a safeguard against accidentally using a catalog tape. To wipe the
    info out, you can do a

    vmquery -deassignbyid tape# volume_pool status

    and then put it into the scratch pool.

    You get volume_pool and status #s by doing a

    vmquery -m tape#

    and looking for the number in () on the "volume pool" line and the number
    after the "0x" on the status line.

    Scott

  3. Re: FREEZING media id 000011

    Unfreeze the media and force the tape to expire and then you can asign it
    to any volume pool you want and is will be writen over. Netbackup views expired
    images on a tape as available media. You can even move the volume pool to
    scratch and then NB will use it when it needs a tape in any volume pool.
    Hope this helps.

    js

    "Scott" wrote:

    >"tom" wrote:
    >>
    >>hi...
    >>i am new to netbackup. wanted to use one of the tapes in my pool for some
    >>backup.previously these tapes were used in another pool named 'netbackup'.
    >>i want to erase this tape before using in the new pool.start the erase

    but
    >>failed and getting the message.
    >>
    >>4/5/2006 10:38:12 AM - Warning bptm(pid=4956) FREEZING media id 000011,

    >it
    >>contains NetBackup database backup data and cannot be used for backups
    >>
    >>tried to delete from the command fetting the message
    >>
    >>requested media id was not found in the EMM
    >>database
    >>
    >>what could be the reason? any help appreciated
    >>
    >>regards.......
    >>tom
    >>

    >This is a safeguard against accidentally using a catalog tape. To wipe

    the
    >info out, you can do a
    >
    >vmquery -deassignbyid tape# volume_pool status
    >
    >and then put it into the scratch pool.
    >
    >You get volume_pool and status #s by doing a
    >
    >vmquery -m tape#
    >
    >and looking for the number in () on the "volume pool" line and the number
    >after the "0x" on the status line.
    >

    >Scott

+ Reply to Thread