new server - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on new server - Veritas Net Backup ; I currently using VERITAS Netbackup 5.1 mp2 on a Windows NT Server and we would like to move VERITAS Netbackup 5.1 mp2 to Windows 2003 Server. My question would be what steps do you recommed to take for upgrade. JV...

  1. new server

    I currently using VERITAS Netbackup 5.1 mp2 on a Windows NT Server and we
    would like to move VERITAS Netbackup 5.1 mp2 to Windows 2003 Server. My question
    would be what steps do you recommed to take for upgrade.
    JV

  2. Re: new server

    Hi Juan,

    I didn't think it was possible to upgrade NT4 to 2003. IMHO, I would do a
    fresh build and do a catalog recovery. Make sure you take at least two
    catalog backups before hand. Build the new environment on another machine.
    This way you get to test the build, test NBU install and test the recovery
    before actually doing it - and if the hardware is the same or similar/better
    spec then you can just swap the boxes when you go live, and keep the old box
    for fall back purposes.

    I've done lots of NBU install and recoveries, it's actually easy and not at
    all scary when you've done it a few times.

    FYI, both my media and master servers had an O/S upgrade from Win2000 SP4 to
    Win2003 SP1, with NBU v5.1 MP1 in place, and they've been running absolutely
    fine for over six months now. I've since upgraded to NBU v6.0MP1 as well
    (on the same boxes that were upgraded from Win2000 to Win2003) - and that's
    all running fine too.

    Good luck,
    Dave.

    "JV" wrote in message

    > I currently using VERITAS Netbackup 5.1 mp2 on a Windows NT Server and we
    > would like to move VERITAS Netbackup 5.1 mp2 to Windows 2003 Server. My
    > question
    > would be what steps do you recommed to take for upgrade.
    > JV

  3. Re: new server

    On old server: run a new catalog just before the move.

    On the new server: install NB and all the patches, set up all the devices
    to look at the currently library, )you can have two servers looking at the
    same library with no problems) recover the catalog on the new server (depending
    on the size of your environment, this may take awhile so don't panic) after
    the catalog recovers your new server has all the information your old one
    did. We did this at two different locations in a very large environment and
    it went quite smothly. The process took about 20 hours but was simple. One
    question, I assume the two servers have differnt names? It the names are
    the same then your images will see both master servers, if they have differnt
    names then you can see the old servers images but can't recover. You have
    to tell NB that if a restore is call if for ignore and
    use . That was the most difficult part of the change over.
    It will be easy and sounds like fun.

    "JV" wrote:

    >I currently using VERITAS Netbackup 5.1 mp2 on a Windows NT Server and we
    >would like to move VERITAS Netbackup 5.1 mp2 to Windows 2003 Server. My

    question
    >would be what steps do you recommed to take for upgrade.
    >JV

+ Reply to Thread