Start NetBackup from SQLSERVERAgent - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Start NetBackup from SQLSERVERAgent - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi all, I try to start peridical logbackups for my MSSQL 2000 db's scheduled from SQLServerAgent. Running the following command from comandline (on DB server) works i.o: "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\dbbackex.exe" -f E:\bkup_logs.bch -np Putting the same command in a SQLServerAgend job(type ...

  1. Start NetBackup from SQLSERVERAgent

    Hi all,
    I try to start peridical logbackups for my MSSQL 2000 db's scheduled from
    SQLServerAgent.
    Running the following command from comandline (on DB server) works i.o:
    "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\dbbackex.exe" -f E:\bkup_logs.bch
    -np

    Putting the same command in a SQLServerAgend job(type OSCommand) returns
    the following error in NetBackup:

    DBMS MSG - ODBC message. ODBC return code <-1>, SQL State , Message
    Text <[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no
    default driver specified>
    ERR - Error Modifying ODBC data source name
    CONTINUATION: - Invalid DSN
    CONTINUATION: - Driver's ConfigDSN, ConfigDriver, or ConfigTranslator
    failed
    ERR - Unable to Modify ODBC dsn
    CONTINUATION: - Invalid DSN
    CONTINUATION: - Driver's ConfigDSN, ConfigDriver, or ConfigTranslator
    failed
    ERR - Error 64 has been returned from GetCurrentDSN
    INF - Results of executing :
    <0> operations succeeded. <0> operations failed.
    CONTINUATION: - Invalid DSN
    CONTINUATION: - Driver's ConfigDSN, ConfigDriver, or ConfigTranslator
    failed

    That means to me dbbackex.exe could be started and the bkup_logs.bch file
    could be read???

    Has anyone a clue what I missed out?
    Any help is highly appreciated !

    TIA
    Dan Ackermann

  2. Re: Start NetBackup from SQLSERVERAgent

    I realise that this original post was some time ago but I only just encountered
    the problem and can post a solution.

    It would appear that Netbackup creates temporary DSN entries (I was using
    dbbackex.exe and calling the exe via SQL Agent). The error is question is
    due to the fact that the account running the backup (i.e. the SQL Agent account
    in my case) does not have permissions to modify the ODBC.INI in the registry
    (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI).

    Modify the registry and also give the account full access to the VERITAS
    folder on the C: drive and things will hopefully work.

    Hope this helps someone! :-)

+ Reply to Thread