Disk Staging Images is not cleaning automatically - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Disk Staging Images is not cleaning automatically - Veritas Net Backup ; I have a trouble with the disk staging storage units, we have disk sizes of 1 TB for backups end all the images has been relocated, however, the backups fail when the disk is full. Could somebody help me with ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Disk Staging Images is not cleaning automatically

  1. Disk Staging Images is not cleaning automatically


    I have a trouble with the disk staging storage units, we have disk sizes of
    1 TB for backups end all the images has been relocated, however, the backups
    fail when the disk is full.

    Could somebody help me with that.

    SAF

  2. Re: Disk Staging Images is not cleaning automatically


    Do you have an archiving policy set for your DSSU? Is it running properly
    with any problems?

    You back up to the DSSU (say overnight) and then it relocates to tape (say
    in the morning). If the latter doesn't run it will fill up and your backups
    will fail.

    Note that the DSSU behavior is that when the tape (or wherever) relocation
    is successful it adds an .ds file to the DSSU. This lets the
    DSSU management know that this image has been relocated. The the image itself
    stays put. This is good b/c restores (or most other operations) will go
    from the DSSU first if they are still there.

    When space is empty, it deletes items in a FIFO manner as necessary. But
    it won't delete items if they have not been relocated, in which case your
    backups fail.

    Note that this means under normal operations your DSSU is generally expected
    to always be close to 100% full (but in reality you have space).

    "Simón Alejandro Franquiz" wrote:
    >
    >I have a trouble with the disk staging storage units, we have disk sizes

    of
    >1 TB for backups end all the images has been relocated, however, the backups
    >fail when the disk is full.
    >
    >Could somebody help me with that.
    >
    >SAF



  3. Re: Disk Staging Images is not cleaning automatically


    Actually the DSSU policy runs as espected duplicating and creating the .ds
    files, however the images remain in the disk and the backups fails.


    SAF

    "Mike" wrote:
    >
    >Do you have an archiving policy set for your DSSU? Is it running properly
    >with any problems?
    >
    >You back up to the DSSU (say overnight) and then it relocates to tape (say
    >in the morning). If the latter doesn't run it will fill up and your backups
    >will fail.
    >
    >Note that the DSSU behavior is that when the tape (or wherever) relocation
    >is successful it adds an .ds file to the DSSU. This lets the
    >DSSU management know that this image has been relocated. The the image

    itself
    >stays put. This is good b/c restores (or most other operations) will go
    >from the DSSU first if they are still there.
    >
    >When space is empty, it deletes items in a FIFO manner as necessary. But
    >it won't delete items if they have not been relocated, in which case your
    >backups fail.
    >
    >Note that this means under normal operations your DSSU is generally expected
    >to always be close to 100% full (but in reality you have space).
    >
    >"Simón Alejandro Franquiz" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have a trouble with the disk staging storage units, we have disk sizes

    >of
    >>1 TB for backups end all the images has been relocated, however, the backups
    >>fail when the disk is full.
    >>
    >>Could somebody help me with that.
    >>
    >>SAF

    >



  4. Re: Disk Staging Images is not cleaning automatically


    Obviously I'd start poking around in the logs. I forget which ones will pertain
    to DSSU backups though.

    Just to reiterate - the backups are *supposed* to stay on the disk; when
    space is needed they should clean up.

    "Simón Alejandro Franquiz" wrote:
    >
    >Actually the DSSU policy runs as espected duplicating and creating the .ds
    >files, however the images remain in the disk and the backups fails.
    >
    >
    >SAF
    >
    >"Mike" wrote:
    >>
    >>Do you have an archiving policy set for your DSSU? Is it running properly
    >>with any problems?
    >>
    >>You back up to the DSSU (say overnight) and then it relocates to tape (say
    >>in the morning). If the latter doesn't run it will fill up and your backups
    >>will fail.
    >>
    >>Note that the DSSU behavior is that when the tape (or wherever) relocation
    >>is successful it adds an .ds file to the DSSU. This lets the
    >>DSSU management know that this image has been relocated. The the image

    >itself
    >>stays put. This is good b/c restores (or most other operations) will go
    >>from the DSSU first if they are still there.
    >>
    >>When space is empty, it deletes items in a FIFO manner as necessary. But
    >>it won't delete items if they have not been relocated, in which case your
    >>backups fail.
    >>
    >>Note that this means under normal operations your DSSU is generally expected
    >>to always be close to 100% full (but in reality you have space).
    >>
    >>"Simón Alejandro Franquiz" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I have a trouble with the disk staging storage units, we have disk sizes

    >>of
    >>>1 TB for backups end all the images has been relocated, however, the backups
    >>>fail when the disk is full.
    >>>
    >>>Could somebody help me with that.
    >>>
    >>>SAF

    >>

    >



  5. Re: Disk Staging Images is not cleaning automatically


    I understand exactly all what you say, but, NBU is not cleaning up... that's
    the really problem.


    "Mike" wrote:
    >
    >Obviously I'd start poking around in the logs. I forget which ones will

    pertain
    >to DSSU backups though.
    >
    >Just to reiterate - the backups are *supposed* to stay on the disk; when
    >space is needed they should clean up.
    >
    >"Simón Alejandro Franquiz" wrote:
    >>
    >>Actually the DSSU policy runs as espected duplicating and creating the

    .ds
    >>files, however the images remain in the disk and the backups fails.
    >>
    >>
    >>SAF
    >>
    >>"Mike" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Do you have an archiving policy set for your DSSU? Is it running properly
    >>>with any problems?
    >>>
    >>>You back up to the DSSU (say overnight) and then it relocates to tape

    (say
    >>>in the morning). If the latter doesn't run it will fill up and your backups
    >>>will fail.
    >>>
    >>>Note that the DSSU behavior is that when the tape (or wherever) relocation
    >>>is successful it adds an .ds file to the DSSU. This lets the
    >>>DSSU management know that this image has been relocated. The the image

    >>itself
    >>>stays put. This is good b/c restores (or most other operations) will

    go
    >>>from the DSSU first if they are still there.
    >>>
    >>>When space is empty, it deletes items in a FIFO manner as necessary.

    But
    >>>it won't delete items if they have not been relocated, in which case your
    >>>backups fail.
    >>>
    >>>Note that this means under normal operations your DSSU is generally expected
    >>>to always be close to 100% full (but in reality you have space).
    >>>
    >>>"Simón Alejandro Franquiz" wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>I have a trouble with the disk staging storage units, we have disk sizes
    >>>of
    >>>>1 TB for backups end all the images has been relocated, however, the

    backups
    >>>>fail when the disk is full.
    >>>>
    >>>>Could somebody help me with that.
    >>>>
    >>>>SAF
    >>>

    >>

    >



+ Reply to Thread